I'M ******* INVINCIBLE! (100% Uptime IC)

Introduction
Spoiler
I've always wanted a Voll's Devotion but they're so damn expensive and a terrible idea to build for in challenge leagues! But thanks to the self righteous bastard that is the Heirophant, you can now (kind of) have a Voll's Devotion for the low low price of having to wear a Voll's Protector!

The basic idea is to use Blade Vortex to generate obscene numbers of power charges per second, leading to a good amount of endurance charges, thus allowing you to be invulnerable to physical damage without having to take out an unrepayable loan from Cadiro. I was originally going to use CoC CI but it's just too difficult to do, especially since the Templar is in a long-distance relationship with all of the normal Crit Chance nodes and he's about as accurate as Navali's prophecies. Besides, you're gonna have to find time to recharge your vortex anyways so I'm sure you can spare less than half a second to become god.

Build

TREE SO FAR (lvl 56):

BANDITS: Oak / Oak / (will be) Oak (Yes I really like Oak, it is superior to all other woods)

While I have the rest of the tree planned out, I've already made some detours from the original. At this point, I'm more or less just following the needs that arise. I had no idea whether or not this would work originally and the proof-of-concept lies in the empirical evidence. The clear speed is (in my opinion) good and the defense is definitely usable (although I haven't maxed out my resists yet).

Blade Vortex Tooltip (With Herald of Ice up):
Spoiler

Equipment
Helm:
Spoiler

Body:
Spoiler

Gloves:
Spoiler

Boots:
Spoiler

Belt:
Spoiler

Jewelry:
Spoiler

Flasks: use whatever you want, although I highly recommend at least 1 quicksilver flask, as with almost any build.

Ramblings about equipment:
Spoiler
The socketing isn't quite refined yet and I'm low on linking and socketing currency but other than the 4-link for Blade Vortex, things are how I want them. I didn't buy a single one of these items with currency, I had them from drops from a previous toon. Even so, none of this stuff is expensive. Even the poor Maligaro's Virtuosity has dropped massively in price. And it's not strictly necessary either although I'm not sure how much of that crit strike chance you would have to make up for in other equipment.

I would prefer a dagger in place of the sceptre so that I could use Whirling Blades but so far no dagger has beaten this sceptre for me. The main thing you wanna go for any chance you get is mana regen. Voll's Protector + trying to maintain as many Blade Vortex stacks as possible = mana nightmare.

As for boots, movement speed is really helpful since you wanna move through with your blades as quickly as possible. Other than that, you have a lot of liberty with your choice of equipment. IC means you don't have to worry about armor, although it's still nice to have some just in case you miss a cast or before you have full endurance charges. You can go for evasion for even more defense. This build is supposed to tank with life but more ES never hurts either. The illusion is your oyster!

Leveling
I started out using Blade Vortex with a Wall of Brambles chest for a sort of psuedo-IC. This transitions very nicely into actual-IC. You probably want to start off with cast speed and, of course, life, grabbing mana and mana regen as needed.

Edit (again): regarding Cruel Lab, the 2nd set of ascendancy points really helps with mana regen and was what allowed me to even sustain Blade Vortex with Voll's Devotion. Unfortunately for me, at that point Wall of Brambles wasn't holding up too well to Izaro anymore and it was a tough fight to say the least. Just a word of caution!

Conclusion (really more of an ending note)
I'm fairly new to trying to make builds and I'm not very good. I'm also still in cruel so there's still plenty of time for this all to go to shit :D. I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement and I'm still figuring out ways to fit in things like blasphemy-Assassin's Mark and haste and all the auras forever of course but then I'd probably need to switch to ES tanking and it would just be another nightmare. In any case, please do feel free to make suggestions and point out why I'm a complete idiot or whatever.

Edit: final note; I've been heavily considering adding in Righteous Fire since I already have a fair bit of life regen and the boost in spell damage would synergize well with Blade Vortex. Plus, I would use the Heirophant keystone that lets helmet skills penetrate 20% elemental resistances. I haven't done any calculations yet though so it's just a nice idea so far.
Last edited by Scenic_Byway on Jun 8, 2016, 6:54:31 AM
Last bumped on Sep 2, 2016, 10:15:16 PM
Update: after finishing merc lab (where Izaro was completely incapable of damaging me as long as I knew what I was doing) I reinvested points into sustaining Righteous Fire. After changing out a few pieces of equipment, I can now sustain Righteous Fire in combat. My eventual goal is to get enough life regen to sustain it outside of combat too so that I don't have to keep deactivating and reactivating it. There's also the added bonus of my Blade Vortex DPS getting doubled.
a vid would be nice
I'll make a video as soon as I find a good challenging map to record. Also gotta figure out how the built in recorder on Windows 10 does.
"
Scenic_Byway wrote:
I'll make a video as soon as I find a good challenging map to record. Also gotta figure out how the built in recorder on Windows 10 does.

just use bandicam or the countless other freeware recorders (the files take up a lot of space but they do the trick nicely.)
The built in recorder actually seems to work pretty well. At the moment I've run into problems with the build though, the main being the combination of relatively low life and not being able to go Vaal Pact. Most bosses won't oneshot me but I just can't recover life quickly enough against harder hitting mobs and enemies, so I can't really find anything to post that most other builds wouldn't be able to do just as easily anyways. I could post an Uber-Izaro fight after I unlock the uber-lab. My only solution to the life-leech problem would be Atziri's Acuity though.
Last edited by Scenic_Byway on Jun 16, 2016, 12:01:01 AM
"
Scenic_Byway wrote:
The basic idea is to use Blade Vortex to generate obscene numbers of power charges per second, leading to a good amount of endurance charges, thus allowing you to be invulnerable to physical damage without having to take out an unrepayable loan from Cadiro

wow this is genius. I would love to see an update of your current tree + gear !!

Dont give up on this idea. Vaal pact is mandatory for blade vortex. Skip RF. I would love to help you theorycraft this to the max :D
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625
Thanks! Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, I kinda forgot about this xD. I actually got Atziri's Acuity (which I would obviously not recommend as a build-making item), greatly increasing survivability. To be honest, I think you're right that RF probably isn't worth it and the points could be reinvested in a lot more DPS and more HP. The necessary fire res does let me do things like roflstomp twinned Plaza lady and absorb Atziri mini-flameblasts on 3k HP though. I'll certainly post updated equipment and tree if you're still interested. As for continued theorycrafting, I'd certainly welcome your help and I'm definitely gonna continue experiments next league :D
can you just update your skilltree please ?
Quebecois!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info