Mechanical Questions Thread

"
keyarchan wrote:
Wait a minute, so if I have Gladiator's Gratuitous Violence and use Infernal Blow I get both explosions? I always assumed you'd just get either one.

That is what Mark just said, yes. :P
With the es nerf came the removal of es mod for rings. What will happen to those rings that already have that mod? Will they stay or will that mod just disappear from the ring?
Question about Self-Inflicted Damage:

Is damage from Scold's Bridle and Heartbound Loop affected by damage type conversions and Chance to apply status ailments from the tree and items?

More generally, is self-inflicted damage considered a "hit"? If so, is it considered "your hit"? If so, is it affected by modifiers from the tree and items?

For example, can I use "Winter Spirit" to convert some of the physical damage to cold? Can I use "Reckless Defense" jewel to give it a chance to crit? Can I use "Fingers of Frost" to give it freeze chance?
"
Katasi wrote:
Does the "Deals 50% of Base Damage" on Shield Charge affect bleed or poison damage? I know it affects the initial hit, but does it double dip onto the bleed/poison?
Currently no. As discussed in the manifesto posts on the subject, in 3.0.0 this modifier will apply to the base damage, which means it will affect the damage over time, but this will not cause double-dipping.

"
effovex wrote:
With proliferation type effects, does the elemental status get affected by modifiers as it spreads, or does it proliferate with the exact same stats. For instance, with emberwake, would the burn damage that proliferates be 80% less than the initial burn damage?
Proliferation does not create more ignites that could be modified. There is still only one ignite, it just applies to multiple enemies. Since there is only one ignite, it can't be created with a different calculation to itself, so the answer to your question is no.
"
effovex wrote:
I assume beacon of destruction and the prolif gem work the same way?
Correct.
"
effovex wrote:
Can multistrike ignite on each hit, or is there a limit of one ignite per use of the skill per monster.
Yes, it can.

"
AssasinCreed wrote:
Actually im testing some gladiator build and i noticed my melee totems blow up thing with my Gratuitout Violence gladiator ascendancy node. But it specifically says "Bleeding enemies "you" kill explode" i don't even need touch enemy just when my totems kill them they blow up.
This is a known bug with assignment of kills from damage over time. If your totem's damage over time kills an enemy, then it counts as you killing the enemy, not the totem. This is necessary to avoid problems in the case where the totem doesn't exist any more, and the kill can't be assigned. It will be fixed in the long term.

"
remusik wrote:
Say I decide to use Elemental Hit with Avatar of Fire.

Presuming (for simplicity) that the hits of Ele Hit are in order Fire -> Cold -> Light, what damage and how much will each hit deal?

Will it be:

1) First hits deals fire; the same base dmg as the gem says, nothing more. Second hit does fire (former cold) at half the value of the cold dmg listed on the gem. Third hit does fire (former light) at half the value of the light dmg listed on the gem.

OR

2) First hit does fire dmg as listed on the gem PLUS half the cold PLUS half the light; and all subsequent hits follow the same logic, dealing the full fire plus half and half of the other elements as fire.
The first one. Elemental Hit only adds one type of damage to each hit, not all three.
"
nathaniel123 wrote:
Hello, I was considering making a character centered around the Doomfletch and Doomfletch’s Prism unique bow. The wording of the latter unique’s effect reads “Gain 110% of bow physical damage as extra damage of each element.” My question is, does this gained damage based on physical damage happen before or after elemental conversions?
No, it does not. "Gain X as extra Y" is a conversion - it just also leaves the converted thing there rather than removing it. So it's simultanious with other conversion, not before or after it.
"
nathaniel123 wrote:
For example, if I were to use the skill Lightning Arrow, which converts 50% of my physical damage to lightning damage, would I still gain the same amount of damage as if I were using Split Arrow which has no elemental conversion via this mechanic?
Yes.

"
Lammy wrote:
When shield charging directly on top of a stationary enemy, which damage applies first: the travel damage, the impact damage or both added together?
If you mean you're already on top of this enemy and charge no distance to reach them, then you never deal damage while travelling, because you don't travel.

If you just mean charging onto an enemies exact location from a distance away, then I can't answer that question. It depends on your speed and AoE, and the enemy's size. At the point you hit them and deal damage at the end of the skill, then your previous instance of dealing area damage while charging either did or did not reach that enemy's location, and thus hit them first.

In any case where an enemy does get hit by both one of the smaller instances of damage while charging and the final damage, the while-charging damage hits them first, because it happens while charging, where the larger area damage happens when you stop charging.
"
Lammy wrote:
Does increased area of effect apply to shield charge's width while traveling?
It applies to the area of the small area damage that's repeatedly dealt while travelling. It does not apply to the width of the character object.
"
Lammy wrote:
Do generic "melee damage" modifiers apply to poison/bleed applied by melee skills?
No. "melee damage" modifiers are not generic - they are inherently attack damage, because melee is a subset of attack. Non-attack melee damage makes no sense in PoE.
"
Lammy wrote:
Does Shield Charge's 200% more damage apply to poison/bleed inflicted by it?
No. This answer may be different in 3.0.0.
"
Lammy wrote:
Does Earthquake's 70% more damage from the aftershock apply to poison/bleed inflicted by it?
No. This answer may be different in 3.0.0.
"
Lammy wrote:
With a Voidheart equipped, do your melee totems poison/bleed?
Yes (or rather, they have a chance to do so, as of 2.4.0. Whether they actually do technically depends how lucky you are).
"
Lammy wrote:
Is it possible to proc multiple Noxious Strike's triggers (bleed/poison/maim) with a single attack on a previously unaffected enemy? i.e. If I hit a healthy enemy with a regular skill, does it only roll the 30% to bleed and stop, or does it then roll the 40% chance to poison since the enemy is now bleeding.
You did not hit a Bleeding enemy, so that chance to Poison cannot apply.
"
Lammy wrote:
Continuing on from the previous question, If I had a Voidheart equipped and attacked a healthy enemy, does my first hit have a 50% chance to maim?
No. You need to hit a Posoned enemy to have that chance to Maim.

"
solacespecs wrote:
I was curious about the Gladiator ascendancy node Outmatch and Outlast. It reads:
25% chance to gain a frenzy charge on kill with mainhand
25% chance to gain an endurance charge on kill with offhand
I was curious the relationship between this node and a build that uses a 1H and shield.

Does this node only apply to dual wielding?
The offhand part can only be triggered when dual wielding. The main-hand part can always apply.
"
solacespecs wrote:
Does it work for an ability such as shield charge, which uses the shield to do damage?
No. Shield charge does not use the shield to deal damage, it uses the main hand. The shield is thematically responsible for the stun/knockback.
"
solacespecs wrote:
Can the frenzy charge portion proc if you are unarmed?
Yes. Unarmed attacks are always technically main-hand.

"
Jojas wrote:
Do two different sources for elemental penetration (like mastermind of discord from elementalist + lightning penetration support gem) stack?
Yes.
"
Jojas wrote:
Another question: Is Izaro in his final stage considered "low life"?
He starts the third phase fight at 40% of his maximum life. Low life is defined as being below 35%. Thus he is not on low life for that whole section of the fight, but will likely be for most of it.

"
Robbatog wrote:
Consider that I am a Juggernaut with Unrelenting, 10 max endurance charges, 0 armor or other mitigation, two Heartbound Loops, Kingsguard, and a lvl 1 cwdt linked to immortal call. I self-cast summon skeletons. In what order do things happen when the skeletons disappear?
I spent some time trying to work out how you intended to gain endurance charges to make any of this matter before working out you have Unflinching as well. In the future, please note that it's really helpful if you explicitly mention everything which matters to the case at hand.

One of your skeletons will expire, dealing you 350 damage, which isn't enough to set off your Immortal Call, which has a threshold of 528 from level 1 CwDT.
You have a chance to gain an endurance charge from Unflinching. If you succeed at that chance, you have a chance to instead gain 10 endurance charges.

The second skeleton expires, later in the same frame unless some really weird shit it happening (i.e. no in-game time has passed).
This deals you another 350 damage, meaning Immortal Call has reached it's damage threshold and triggers.
Depending on the results of the previous chances, at this point you have 0, 1 or 10 Endurance Charges, which will be consumed and modify the duration of Immortal Call.
You gain life from Kingsguard if charges are consumed this was.
You have a chance to gain an endurance charge from Unflinching. If you succeed at that chance, you have a chance to instead gain 10 endurance charges.

You end this process with either 0, 1 or 10 Endurance charges, and an Immortal Call buff. If you have more than zero charges, when they later expire, you'll gain life from Kingsguard.
"
Robbatog wrote:
Is there any general way of figuring out the order when things happen "at the same time"?
Experiementation or asking.

"
alex5355 wrote:
Hello Mark! Is it possible to play a lacerate build with a stat-stick in off-hand(type dagger)? Or does it force off-hand attack even though the weapon type is not usable? Thanks.
It will not make an off-hand attack with a weapon type it can't use. There was a bug for a while where it would do so in some cases, but this has been fixed.

"
Slamdancer wrote:
If i hit in Melee Range with LS, do the enemies take 2x damage, once from melee and once from the origin of the projectiles or are they both exclusive to range/melee?
The projectiles cannot hit the melee target. They can hit other enemies that took splash damage from the melee hit.
"
Goldarm5 wrote:
Damage from Scold's Bridle and Heartbound Loop cant stun or crit although both of them are hits.
Is this a technical (they belong to a subclass of hits that isnt able to stun or hit) or is it a design/balance (these 2 got exception rules) reason?
Being able to stun yourself is bad and can cause infinite loops. This damage is explicitly prevented from stunning, knocking back, or critically striking (it doesn't have critical strike chance anyway).

"
Xavqwyrus wrote:
a couple questions about singularity's "X% increased Damage against Hindered Enemies"
is damage calculated on cast, or is it rolled separately for every mob hit?
Each hit is independant.
"
Xavqwyrus wrote:
does the effect stack if dual wielding singularities, or do i only benefit from one of them?
Yes, the damage modifier will stack.

"
Nickoladze wrote:
I'm wondering how the Lori's Lantern mod "Enemies are Unlucky when Damaging you" affects damage taken in regards to critical strikes.
From here you say that it only affects their damage rolls: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/377182/page/3#p3349323
Is it possible to roll damage twice, having one roll be a critical strike, and then apply the non-critical strike (naturally the non-critical strike should deal less damage)?
No. The damage roll only rolls damage, between your minimum and maximum damage. It is entirely independant of the crit roll.
"
Nickoladze wrote:
Does it roll the damage first, choose the lowest, and then roll if it crits or not?
No, crit is rolled first. This doesn't technically make a difference to your example though.
Hi all

I'm using Heavy Strike with Empire's Grasp.
If i get the node on tree that say "+25% Knockback distance", my reversed knockback with Heavy Strike will pull more mobs with +25% distance?
"
I've noticed I can't detonate my mines when I'm silenced. Is this intentional and how does this compare to traps triggering and totems casting their spell when I'm silenced?
The skill "Detonate Mines" is a spell, and you cannot cast it while silenced.
Traps and Totems cannot cast your spells while you are silenced either.

"
Lammy wrote:
If I have 50% crit chance and Ambush/Assassinate's 100% more critical strike chance active, would my hit have 100% chance to crit or still get capped at 95%?
95%. The only thing different about that modifier is that it stacks multiplicatively with other modifiers to the same value, rather than additively. It does not remove the cap.

"
Renahud wrote:
Hi, if I dual wield obliterations, and have the profane bloom passive. Do all these chances of explosion add up, or is it some multiplicative chance?
These are all providing the same chance, so yes.
"
Renahud wrote:
Same with abyssal cry?
Abyssal Cry is entirely separeate.
"
Renahud wrote:
I suppose that linking poison to the skill that will launch the explosion won't make the explosion itself poison?
If the explosion is caused by a skill (such as is the case with Abyssal Cry), then yes. If it is not (such as Obliteration/Profane Bloom), then it will not, because you can't link the Poison support gem to a passive or item, just a skill.
Hello ,

I have been thinking interactions between Arctic Armour and Dyadus Infernal Axe. If a monster get chilled by arctic armour when it hits me , can this monster take %100 increase damage from burning because of Dyadus ? I hope you can help me. Thank you !
Just a minor question I always wondered:

Is the amount of XP a monster rewards on kill equivalent to its HP only or also to usual pack density?

Killing a pack of spawns is so much more fun than running after some scattered animated statues for example - but is it an equal leveling approach? The statues - I imagine - should give way more XP since killing them is more time consuming.

Thanks for the constant replies here!
I came here to drink milk and kick ass...and I've just finished my milk.
Last edited by King_of_Limbs on May 19, 2017, 3:58:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info