Mechanical Questions Thread

As it was pointed out to me a seperate thread was unnecessary so i am posting it here.

Hi guys!

I am not a very experienced PoE player, prefer self found and like to try out my own builds. Therefor i need detailed knowledge of mechanics. Unfortunately for some mechanics i can’t find reliable or up to date (things change like 2.2 changed Minion Damage Support from additive to multiplicative) information.
I am thankful there are many detailed builds listed. But they all just state "use these items, these gems, …" i need the knowledge of mechanics to come up with my own fun (most probably less powerful) builds. The theorycrafting is a large part of the fun i have with the game.

And if i fail to describe my questions properly please tell me and i will try to do better (second language).

1 ) Zombie damage - Modifier
Spoiler

From the PoE Wiki i got that a level 20 Zombie gem summons a zombie with 4607 life, 0.85 attacks per second and 619-1547 damage and “Monster has 33% more Attack Speed, 33% more Cast Speed and 33% less Damage (Hidden)”.

Does 619-1547 damage already include that 33% less Damage. Or the 0.85 attacks per second the 33% more Attack Speed?

2) Spectre (Flame Sentinel) - Anger - Minion Damage
Spoiler

How does Anger interact with Flame Sentinels (Fork, LMP), Minion Damage Support, … Especially the order of which the every modifier is applied.

From the following 2 sources i found that Flame Sentinels Fireball damage is 1272-1908.
http://poedb.tw/us/mon.php?n=Flame+Sentinel
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617098/page/1
The second link also states a 120% damage modifier. Same question as #1.

To simplify my assumption examples let’s pretend a base damage of 1000, all gems at level 20 with 0 quality and:
+100% Spectre damage from Ascendency (additive ?)
+100% minion damage from skill tree (additive)
Links:
Raise Spectre (10% more damage, multiplicative)
Minion Damage Support (+49% more damage ‘base’ multiplicative, 0% increased damage ‘quality’, additive)
Spell Echo (10% less damage, multiplicative)
Faster Projectiles (29% increased projectile damage, additive)
GMP (26% less projectile damage, multiplicative)

I assume(!) that the Anger bonus (for simplicity a flat 100 in this example) is applied to the base damage. 1000 + 100 = 1100 as new base.

Base * ( 1 + Ascendency + skill tree + Faster Projectiles ) * ( 1 + Raise Spectre ) * ( 1 + Minion Damage ) * ( 1 - Spell Echo ) * ( 1 - GMP )
1100 * ( 1 + 1 + 1 + 0.29 ) * ( 1 + 0.1 ) * ( 1 + 0.49 ) * ( 1 - 0.1 ) * ( 1 - 0.26 ) = 3950.40...

So without Fork or LMP about 3950,40 damage.

With Fork (11% less damage, multiplicative): 4828,27 * ( 1 - 0.11 ) = 3515.86

Are these assumptions regarding Anger, additive, multiplicative, base damage (1272-1908), … correct? Where would the 120% damage modifier for Flame Sentinels come into play?

3) Zombie - Hatred - Minion Damage
Spoiler

Almost the same as #2. Do all the damage modifiers from support gems, skill tree, Enchants, … apply first and then the result be used as base damage for Hatred?

Does the cold damage from Hatred then again scale with any of the minion damage sources like skill tree, support gems, jewels, …?

I would be really happy if someone could give me a definitive answer to one or more of my questions. This would greatly increase my fun in creating my own build without the constant doubt.

Thanks

Edit1:
Regarding #2. Does Elemental Focus Support and Concentrated Effect Support effect the Flame Sentinel Fireball (i would guess so, but i am not 100% sure)?

Edit2:
Spell Echo deals 10% less damage not more ... corrected.

Edit3:
I was too dumb to copy the post correctly ... corrected.
Last edited by W_Avaricta_W on Jan 23, 2017, 3:56:32 AM
Question about warband affixes. What the wiki says is this: "They may only appear on magic items of the correct item type that drop from the respective warband members."
Does this mean that they need to drop with the affix already on them, or do appropriate items gain the ability to roll this mod. For example, can I keep hitting a helmet that dropped from a Redblade member with alts to roll the 10% of physical damage taken as fire damage?
Got another question:
If I am using Summon Skeletons linked to Trap Support, will having the jewel Coated Shrapnel add flat physical damage to the skeletons, or just the "casting" of them, therefore doing nothing.
"
W_Avaricta_W wrote:
1 ) Zombie damage - Modifier
Spoiler

From the PoE Wiki i got that a level 20 Zombie gem summons a zombie with 4607 life, 0.85 attacks per second and 619-1547 damage and “Monster has 33% more Attack Speed, 33% more Cast Speed and 33% less Damage (Hidden)”.

Does 619-1547 damage already include that 33% less Damage. Or the 0.85 attacks per second the 33% more Attack Speed?

2) Spectre (Flame Sentinel) - Anger - Minion Damage
Spoiler

How does Anger interact with Flame Sentinels (Fork, LMP), Minion Damage Support, … Especially the order of which the every modifier is applied.

From the following 2 sources i found that Flame Sentinels Fireball damage is 1272-1908.
http://poedb.tw/us/mon.php?n=Flame+Sentinel
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617098/page/1
The second link also states a 120% damage modifier. Same question as #1.

To simplify my assumption examples let’s pretend a base damage of 1000, all gems at level 20 with 0 quality and:
+100% Spectre damage from Ascendency (additive ?)
+100% minion damage from skill tree (additive)
Links:
Raise Spectre (10% more damage, multiplicative)
Minion Damage Support (+49% more damage ‘base’ multiplicative, 0% increased damage ‘quality’, additive)
Spell Echo (10% less damage, multiplicative)
Faster Projectiles (29% increased projectile damage, additive)
GMP (26% less projectile damage, multiplicative)

I assume(!) that the Anger bonus (for simplicity a flat 100 in this example) is applied to the base damage. 1000 + 100 = 1100 as new base.

Base * ( 1 + Ascendency + skill tree + Faster Projectiles ) * ( 1 + Raise Spectre ) * ( 1 + Minion Damage ) * ( 1 - Spell Echo ) * ( 1 - GMP )
1100 * ( 1 + 1 + 1 + 0.29 ) * ( 1 + 0.1 ) * ( 1 + 0.49 ) * ( 1 - 0.1 ) * ( 1 - 0.26 ) = 3950.40...

So without Fork or LMP about 3950,40 damage.

With Fork (11% less damage, multiplicative): 4828,27 * ( 1 - 0.11 ) = 3515.86

Are these assumptions regarding Anger, additive, multiplicative, base damage (1272-1908), … correct? Where would the 120% damage modifier for Flame Sentinels come into play?

3) Zombie - Hatred - Minion Damage
Spoiler

Almost the same as #2. Do all the damage modifiers from support gems, skill tree, Enchants, … apply first and then the result be used as base damage for Hatred?

Does the cold damage from Hatred then again scale with any of the minion damage sources like skill tree, support gems, jewels, …?

I would be really happy if someone could give me a definitive answer to one or more of my questions. This would greatly increase my fun in creating my own build without the constant doubt.

Thanks

Edit1:
Regarding #2. Does Elemental Focus Support and Concentrated Effect Support effect the Flame Sentinel Fireball (i would guess so, but i am not 100% sure)?

1) When wiki displays base stats modifiers aren't included, however we can't really see monster stats in real time so take it with a grain of salt.

2) The calculation looks good, that 120% multiplier is something the game uses to scale monster damage, poedb lists base damage of fireball skill which is scaled in some way by monster level and damage multiplier, so a flame sentinel would do different damage with a fireball than Igna Phoenix at same levels. Elemental Focus works on fireball all the time, but conc effect won't kick in if it didn't explode.

3) It's a common question with damage conversion, you might want to look into the whole thing in detail. To keep it short, this is how it works: damage is added as a extra base that carries both damage properties, so a zombie will have the physical part scaled by everything that scales minion physical damage and also the cold part which will also be scaled by cold bonuses in addition to everything else.

"
Telperion_sr wrote:
Question about warband affixes. What the wiki says is this: "They may only appear on magic items of the correct item type that drop from the respective warband members."
Does this mean that they need to drop with the affix already on them, or do appropriate items gain the ability to roll this mod. For example, can I keep hitting a helmet that dropped from a Redblade member with alts to roll the 10% of physical damage taken as fire damage?

You really need to drop them from a warband member, the item itself is no different but the mods it received on drop can be.

"
Telperion_sr wrote:
Got another question:
If I am using Summon Skeletons linked to Trap Support, will having the jewel Coated Shrapnel add flat physical damage to the skeletons, or just the "casting" of them, therefore doing nothing.

No, that's a bonus to your damage and you do no damage when summoning a skeleton. It would apply to warp damage if you used Mirror arrow traps, but not to the clones themselves.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:

1) When wiki displays base stats modifiers aren't included, however we can't really see monster stats in real time so take it with a grain of salt.

2) The calculation looks good, that 120% multiplier is something the game uses to scale monster damage, poedb lists base damage of fireball skill which is scaled in some way by monster level and damage multiplier, so a flame sentinel would do different damage with a fireball than Igna Phoenix at same levels. Elemental Focus works on fireball all the time, but conc effect won't kick in if it didn't explode.

3) It's a common question with damage conversion, you might want to look into the whole thing in detail. To keep it short, this is how it works: damage is added as a extra base that carries both damage properties, so a zombie will have the physical part scaled by everything that scales minion physical damage and also the cold part which will also be scaled by cold bonuses in addition to everything else.

Thank you very much! Appreciate it.
Question about The Writhing Jar.
I know people have said that the worms will give flask charges if they are cursed with Poacher's Mark. Is this still true?
Hi,

the support told me to use this Thread here and I´m still not sure if it´s a bug or a feature...

I encountered an issue with crafting a ring. I used Elreons multiple crafting Mod and after that I crafted % Energie Shield and maximum mana on it. This costs me 3 Exalted Orbs.
After that I used a Divine Orb on it and it cost me again 3 Exalted Orbs. I really didn´t expect that. Is this a normal behavior?

Because last season it doesn´t cost any more exalted orbs. A few friends also used blessed orbs without pay again the exalted ones.

Thanks and best regards
Ephrial
Duelist Impact node in the slayer tree question :

Melee splash give your skill the AoE tag, does impact work the sameway ? can i spec into it then use Concentrated effect ? if not, could its become a thing ?
I have a question about some game mechanics that i cannot find documentation anywhere on (probably on purpose not documented but i must know)

Is there any way spectral spirits scale? Like how whispering ice scales with more intel? (Spectral spirits is the affix you get when you use essence of insanity on a weapon) Or is it like a SRS spirit but just permanent?
"
Aduine wrote:
Duelist Impact node in the slayer tree question :

Melee splash give your skill the AoE tag, does impact work the sameway ? can i spec into it then use Concentrated effect ? if not, could its become a thing ?
as far as I know you can, but only the aoe portion would be affected, not the initial hit

Like lightning strikes projectiles is affected by pierce. But the damage multiplier doesnt apply to the initial hit

Ice shot as well, can be supported by conc effect but the damage only applies to the cone of the hit, not the main target

Last edited by KiKurASiruSaSH on Jan 26, 2017, 4:55:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info