Mechanical Questions Thread

Two questions about ignite:
1. If I have 10% increased damage, does that modify burning damage or just the initial hit?
For example, if I have a base of 100 damage that does an ignite, will I deal 110 damage and ignite for 22 damage per second (20%). OR will the ignite get the increased damage as well and deal 24.2 damage per second (+10%).

2. If I link increased duration to a duration skill that applies an ignite, will the ignite duration be increased?

Thanks in advance!
"
lancie wrote:
I would like to know if IIQ/IIR applies, (also from the gems in my attack skill), when I kill mobs with bleeding
Yes.
"
lancie wrote:
but especially when mobs die from Gratious Violence.
If a mosnter dies to the damage from Gratuitous Violence explosions, then it by definition wasn't killed by your attack skill, and can't benefit from IIQ/IIR supports on that skill. It will be affected by such modifiers on your character, but not on a skill that didn't kill it.

"
BlueSky88 wrote:
I was wondering if the gem 'Physical Projectile Attack Damage' boosts both the initial projectile damage as well as'double dipping' and also boosting the resultant poison damage-the same way that generic'projectile damage' does.
No. This modifier cannot apply to damage over time becaue damage over time fundamentall cannot be attack damage. In addition, poison does not deal physical damage.

"
Pyromancer4 wrote:
The new "Mind of the Council" helm has the following mod: "Recover 3% of Maximum Mana when you Shock an Enemy"
1) Does shocks inflicted to already shocked enemies trigger the mod?
Yes.
"
Pyromancer4 wrote:
2) Does shocks reflected to you by Maligaro's Restraint trigger the mod?
The shock reflected to you doesn't trigger it, because that's shocking you, not shocking an enemy. The shock applied to the enemy does.

"
funnyruler wrote:
Hi Mark, thanks for doing this! This league I've jumped on the burn flameblast bandwagon, and after reading your answer to conditional modifiers and how they (don't) apply to DoTs, was wondering about the node Celestial Punishment (specifically the 25% increased damage against Frozen, Shocked, or Ignited enemies).

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Khisanth wrote:
Does Hypothermia's more damage affect Vortex's DoT?
No. Conditional modifiers cannot apply to DoT, because the condition could change during the DoT.

So suppose I have Elemental Conflux active, charge Flameblast on a lone mob, that isn't ignited or burning. Flameblast hits and ignites. Does Celestial Punishment increase the initial hit?
No, because you didn't hit an Ignited enemy.
"
funnyruler wrote:
Does it directly increase the ignite damage?
No.
"
funnyruler wrote:
So to recap, if no is the answer to these questions, Celestial Punishment will only increase my damage if I hit an enemy that is already burning?
The enemy needs to be Ignited (or Shocked or Frozen), not just burning. Righteous Fire (among other examples) burns enemies, but does not ignite them.

"
C4ph wrote:
I am playing a trapper relying on Poison. Currently I linked Item Rarity to myy bear trap but I am not sure if it works.
As I use southbound gloves the enemies usually don't die from the trap as such but from the poison caused by my poison support gem (werid interaction with the "Your Hits can only Kill Frozen enemies " ability). Does rarity still work in this case?
If the poison is being applied by the bear trap then it has the bear trap's IIQ/IIR modifiers to apply if that degen kills the enemy.

"
fanimala wrote:
I tested Bleed Duration on targets damaged by Earth Quake using Voidheart and Atziri's Disfavour. I used a "bleed bow" too. All in Sarn Arena:

Bleed base Duration was 3 seconds (standard attack melee, bow; bleed sources listed above)
With Less Duration Support 3 seconds (EQ) (timer was 3 too)
With Rapid Decay 3 seconds (EQ) (timer was 3 too)

I tried to read through all your posts: Bleed duration should be affected by Less Duration Support when the skill has the Duration tag.

I tried to test Poison Duration too. It is harder to measure the time of the DoT but it seems Poison also isn't affected by Less Duration Support. -> Close to being 2 seconds or 2 seconds.
I used Voidheart, Earthquake (with and without LDS) and standard attacks to test.
This led me on a merry chase through the code to work out what's going on here. Turns out, both Poison and Bleed durations are bugged, but in different ways.
Poison from Viper Strike, and Bleeding from Puncture are both correctly affected by all applicable modifiers.
Poison from other sources is affected by increased/reduced skill duration modifiers, but not more/less duration. It should be affected by both.
Bleeding from other sources is not affected by either, and should be.

This will be fixed in a future patch, meaning (among other changes) that the Less Duration support will correctly apply it's less duration modifier to poison, not just the more damage modifier. I can already hear pitchforks being sharpened in the distance.

"
Znurrebarth wrote:
Could you clarify in what order conversion happens if you have more than 100% conversion from one type of damage to several other damage types? I you use a lightning skill with both Call of the Brotherhood and Voltaxic Rift equipped, will you end up with 50% cold and 50% chaos (seems logical to me as cold is "before" chaos in the damage conversion chain) or would you end up with 40% cold and 60% chaos.
Neither. Conversion from the skill itself (such as the modifiers on the Lightning Strike or Cold to Fire gems) always takes precidence and happens first, but that's not relevant here, so both these modifiers are happening at the same priority, trying to convert 110% of your lightning damage to other types. Since there's actualyl only 100% of the lightning damage to go around, we just squash them both equally until they fit.
Since 110 / 1.1 = 100, we end up with 50 / 1.1 = 45% converted to cold, and 60 / 1.1 = 55% converted to chaos.

"
FrFauxSake wrote:
I was directed to this thread by support about a question I have with the Scion Ascendant Trickster node as well as The Beast Fur Shawl. My question is in regards to the "Increased Recovery Rate of Life, Mana and Energy Shield" on the Trickster node and "Increased Energy Shield Recovery Rate" on the Fur Shawl. Does life/energy shield recovery mean something different to life regeneration?
Yes, those terms are different. Recovery refers to all forms of gaining something. Regeneration is merely one form of Recovery.
"
FrFauxSake wrote:
I was hoping to do an ES based righteous fire build and thought that the regen acquired from Zealot's Oath would be affected by the Recovery Rate modifiers.
It will be.
"
FrFauxSake wrote:
However, since I saw a reddit post
Spoiler
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4nf4r3/the_beast_fur_shawl_energy_recovery_rate_does_not/
I was lead to believe my idea won't work.
This is because the character panel is showing a value for regeneration, while the modifier applies to all recovery - the game has no value that shows regeneration affected by that modifier, since that modifier isn't applied until all forms of recovery (regeneration, leech, etc) have been summed, and it applies to have value, not to each one separately (this prevents rounding errors).

"
Lemonzzz wrote:
Relation between Bane of Legends and Endless Hunger in the Slayer tree. Say I do 100% of health in a hit that has 30% health left. Do I get 20% of that 70% overkill or is it 20% of 90% as it culls at 20% health left? Or is it just something entirely different, don't entirely understand how cull and overkill works.
Overkill and culling (and by extention, the Bane of Legends effect, which is not culling) can fundamentally never interact. Overkill occurs if your hit kills an enemy and dealt more damage than the enemy's remaining life. Culling ocurs if your hit didn't kill an enemy but brought them to below 10% of their maximum life (the Bane of Legends effect is the same, but for 20%). These can't be true at the same time.
"
Lemonzzz wrote:
Also some questions about Vortex. The skill gem states that modifiers to Spell Damage apply to the skill's damage over time.
1. Is it safe to assume that % increased elemental damage works with increasing the dot damage. (Also % increased cold damage etc.)?
2. How about putting it on a trap/mine? Will all the trap/mine damage increasing modifiers apply to the dot portion of the gem?
The answer to both these questions is yes, but that has nothing to do with the fact that spell damage modifiers apply to the damage over time. Neither of those are modifiers to spell damage, and they would still apply even if Vortex didn't have that property.
"
Lemonzzz wrote:
2. Since it can be modified like spell damage, can the dot be converted to other elements or just the initial hit? Can I convert it into a fire dot with cold>fire.
No. The stat it has says that modifiers to spell damage apply to it, not that it can "be modified like spell damage". Only things that give increased/reduced/more/less spell damage are affected.
"
Lemonzzz wrote:
4. Does area damage affect the dot damage
Yes.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 1, 2016, 5:37:52 PM
"
PaperRat wrote:
Does Sunder take accuracy into account, or is/was it bugged like Blast Rain?
Yes, it does, because it's an attack. The Blast Rain bug was specific to Blast Rain, and the two skills are not at all related.
Note that Sunder only needs to pass an evasion check to cause a shockwave on a specific enemy - the shockwave will hit all enemies in it's range, regardless of evasion.
"
PaperRat wrote:
Can you chance labyrinth specific uniques outside of the Lab?
You can't chance Labyrinth-specific unqiues anywhere.

"
I have a question regarding a few prophecies, specifically The Nest and Wind and Thunder.
The community has had an infernal time finding the required Galvanic Ribbons and Brooding Tarantulas in maps.
I was hoping you could confirm that it is possible for these mobs to spawn in maps.
All Prophecies are completeable.
"
The wiki says Brooding Tarantula spawns in a Haku side area. Would that count as "in a map" if the Haku mission was from a map?
No.
"
On a more general level, what are the mechanics behind which monsters appear in a map?
This is a complicated, in-depth topic that's outside my area of expertise and about which I don't know how much information we can give out. As such, I'm afraid such a broad question is outside the scope of this thread.

"
hq78 wrote:
I was wondering if this is a bug or if it is working as intended, but when I cast vortex, I cannot target the frostbolts created by my totems.
This is correct. You can only target your own Frostbolts.

"
Xitras wrote:
I was wondering about some poison mechanics. If I link tornado shot with the poison support gem and greater multiple projectiles, how many poison stacks could theoretically apply? Is it 1 stack for the whole tornado shot hit or is it 1 stack for each arrow from tornado shot that hits the target.
Each hit is independant of other hits, and can apply poison.

"
Wilcuss wrote:
My question: how does Inquisitor's Inevitable Justice work with damage over time, mainly Vortex, but also Ignite.
It doesn't. Damage over Time inherently cannot crit.
My question is still not answered.

According to wiki, damage values by source (phys/fire/cold/lightn/chaos) changes 3 times during receiving hit calculation:

1) applying modifiers like "x% of physical damage taken as lightning damage"
2) damage mitigation by resistances and physical damage reduction
3) applying "damage taken" modifiers(flat, then increased/reduced, then more/less)

When (in this order) modifiers of "increased/reduced extra damage taken from critical strikes" applies?
"
trympyrym2 wrote:
My question is still not answered.

Mark is still at questions from June/July ish. It'll be a bit until questions from October are up.

@Mark: there's a broken Quote tag in your first post on this page. End-quote on FrFaux's question.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 1, 2016, 2:06:33 AM
Question about interaction of Skyforth and Valyrium when they equipped at once. What stun threshold base would be used? Do they stack?

1) Where can I find base health values of totems per level? (specifically ancestral warcheif totems)

2) Does shaping a map from t9 to t14 increase the amount of t14s that drop, or reduce the amount of t9s that drop, or is it the same chance, but just a greater variety of t14s that can drop, and less variety of t9s?

3) What end game bosses (t13+ ) use chaos damage skills?
Message me in game @SleepyHarvester
do minions take 90% less damage from the "endless sting" sentinel trap from the über labyrinth like they do with other labyrinth traps? i highly doubt it since that particular trap kills my minions extremely fast. is this a bug or intended?
Hello nice to meet you. I have a problem with my necromancer, I put in asencion the ability "Beacon of corruption" and now I can not use or in the maps easier, as this skill kills me almost instantly. I expect a quick fix
What mirror/blink arrow clones and range attack totem support attack range?
Last edited by Meleespeedorcastspeed on Nov 16, 2016, 4:37:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info