Mechanical Questions Thread

Question regarding Totems and "At maximum charges"

So Outlast and Outmatch, for instance, states:

"
10% more physical damage while at maximum frenzy charges

If I summon a totem that deals physical damage, does it get 10% more physical damage, due to technically being at max (0/0) frenzy charges?
No. Totems use your offensive stats - you need to be at max Frenzy Charges.
Will the newly introduced strongboxes that can drop silver coins/divination cards be restricted to the zone they spawn in?

That is to say, will the divination cards be zone specific that drop or will it draw from the global pool of all existing divination cards?

Thx in advance mark.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I have a question about Avatar of Fire.

So basically I want to try a totem + ice shot build. But converted to fire to deal close to 100% cold -> fire conversion if not 100%. Wanting to do an elementalist burn prolif build with ice arrow and range attack totem gem. I feel like I have a build made but I'm unsure about how I can go about getting the cold to fire. I plan to use Skirmish quiver but don't want to use the cold conversion gloves.

Ice shot has 40% phys -> cold. Avatar of fire converts 50% cold/phys/light to fire does that mean my ice shot would have 90% conversion? I don't really understand this stuff.

Eventually I want to throw Pyre into the mix.

After all the conversion, would ice shots cone effect still have a chill effect or would it turn into a cone of burning?

Another question, if I avoid using avatar of fire and instead use say blackgleams and burning arrow instead. So I'm 100% fire conversion if I have a ring that has say light damage modifier and use Elemental Equilibrium which damage would be applied for the vulnerability of EE; fire or light?

For either of the questions above I do not intend on taking Ancestral Bond.
Last edited by opeth on Aug 23, 2016, 10:21:21 PM
"
opeth wrote:

Ice shot has 40% phys -> cold. Avatar of fire converts 50% cold/phys/light to fire does that mean my ice shot would have 90% conversion? I don't really understand this stuff.

This is correct. 50% of phys goes to fire, and 40% to cold. (The cold gets deleted along with the remaining 10% physical if there is no further conversion).
"

Eventually I want to throw Pyre into the mix.

You'll probably need to if you want to keep using Ice Shot!

"

After all the conversion, would ice shots cone effect still have a chill effect or would it turn into a cone of burning?

The cone effect will still leave chilled ground, which will Chill enemies. The "creates a patch of ground ice" effect is not damage, doesn't deal damage, etc, and conversion affects damage. Since the ground effect is not damage-dependent, it is not affected by the conversion.

Damage-based Chill, however, will disappear if you take Avatar of Fire.

(The Ice Shot skill has two possible ways of applying Chill to the enemy, and dealing no Cold damage will stop one of them, but do nothing to the other).

"

Another question, if I avoid using avatar of fire and instead use say blackgleams and burning arrow instead. So I'm 100% fire conversion if I have a ring that has say light damage modifier and use Elemental Equilibrium which damage would be applied for the vulnerability of EE; fire or light?

Elemental Equilibrium is based on final damage. Additionally, it only stacks unfavourably. That is, if you deal all 3 elements in one Hit, the enemy will gain 25% resistance to all elements. With your build and added lightning damage on a ring, and no source of Cold damage, your enemy will gain 25% fire and lightning resistance and -50% cold resistance.

Modifiers like "x% increased lightning damage," if you have no other source of added (base) lightning damage, will have no effect on your damage and therefore no effect on Elemental Equilibrium. Such modifiers only do things when they have something to increase. Base lightning damage is generally worded as "adds x-y lightning damage."

This is straying a bit outside the original purpose of this thread, but in order to make use of Elemental Equilibrium in your build, your best bet is a Spell of some sort. Added lightning or cold damage from rings only apply to Attacks. Spells use their own base damage, ignoring the base damage of your Weapon.

For my Elemental Equilibrium character, I like to use Ball Lightning - GMP - Spell Totem, but that won't work with you because you want to use RAT. You might link a Lightning or Cold Spell to Cast when Damage Taken level 1 (note that you'll need to keep the Spell's level low if you want CWDT to activate as often as possible). Malachai's Artifice with a golem is also a popular option, but you would not want to take the EE keystone if you want to use that (Artifice causes any Skill socketed in it to have a weaker EE effect).
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
What if say I used Three Dragons to ignite instead of freeze/chill. And I have Ice shot doing cold damage with lightning damage modifier. Does it make the burn dmg from the ignite more since they'd have -50% fire res?
"
opeth wrote:
What if say I used Three Dragons to ignite instead of freeze/chill. And I have Ice shot doing cold damage with lightning damage modifier. Does it make the burn dmg from the ignite more since they'd have -50% fire res?

Oh, that's clever. Yes, as long as you are dealing 0 fire damage on your Hits, that is how it will work. In that case, though, you might want to reconsider about the cold conversion gloves, since your Ignites would only be based on roughly 40% of your damage, a bit more if you use Hatred, unless you mean to use Shaper of Desolation (Elemental Conflux), in which case you wouldn't need The Three Dragons for general pack clear - all of your Damage regardless of type would Ignite (but you would still want to avoid flat fire damage for the EE bonus).

Hope that makes sense!
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
How do "Conqueror", "Inspirational" and "Worthy Foe" interact with totems?

Does the damage increase from "Inspirational" apply twice?

Do totems get the improved taunt when I have "Worthy Foe" and thus grant me 20% less damage taken?

Thanks!
Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Aug 24, 2016, 12:45:13 AM
"
adghar wrote:
"
opeth wrote:

Oh, that's clever. Yes, as long as you are dealing 0 fire damage on your Hits, that is how it will work. In that case, though, you might want to reconsider about the cold conversion gloves, since your Ignites would only be based on roughly 40% of your damage, a bit more if you use Hatred, unless you mean to use Shaper of Desolation (Elemental Conflux), in which case you wouldn't need The Three Dragons for general pack clear - all of your Damage regardless of type would Ignite (but you would still want to avoid flat fire damage for the EE bonus).

Hope that makes sense!

I planned to use a vaal'd Skirmith Quiver with Phys > Cold conversion to make up that extra 10% they're quite cheap since no one uses that. Don't need the accuracy as I plan to use Lioneye's Glare + Hatred.
Ok, question: let's say I use some fire spell and three dragons (I feel like 90% of mechanic questions are related to that thing...), can I now trigger herald of thunder? Assuming the answer is yes (which it should be), will said herald of thunder now be able to freeze enemies? And assuming once more the answer is yes, would ice bite increase the freeze chance despite the damage being lightning?
I feel like I'm supposed to figure this out on my own, but I'm too stupid at the moment :/ Anyways, looking forward to the answers!
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info