First Attempt at ES, How Bad Is My Build?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first energy shield based character. I was wondering if I could get some feedback for my build. It is a frost bolt + vortex build.

I tried to stack as much cold damage as I could along with cast speed.

I was planning on going pure energy shield and reserving majority of my life and some of my mana with Discipline, clarity, temporal chains, Herald of Ice, and possibly more.

This is my first ES character and I am not aware of the pitfalls of ES based characters. Please let me know if there are any obvious gaping holes in my build.

Also improvements would be greatly appreciated.

http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAAFvAuMHpQhnCaoNfBBYEQ8RUBW4FvMXVBhdGyUdTx8CH8chwyKBIvQk2CY8KlMreCycLKYtiy-dMjQ0CjW5NsU3ZjeDOw08BTxLPV9Eq0ZxSbJLrkwtUlNVrlZKV8lX4VgXXGtsC20Ze9d-WX_GghCDCYRIhW2LeouMjjyPppDWkyeVBJYyl5WX9Jo7nqGf36Evoj6m66crrJit8a-bsnC0DL6KwGbAmsNtyFvK09WB1abWXdgk2VvZ_N-K37DgVeL36QLquu0873zv6_fX-WX53Q==
Last edited by JPie90 on Jun 7, 2016, 3:57:28 PM
Last bumped on Jun 8, 2016, 9:09:09 AM
I am sorry if this is not the place to post a thread like this. If someone could direct me towards the correct section of the forum, I would be grateful.
Hi, based on my experience on low life pure ES build:

1) HP flask won't do a thing, so you need to get some form of instant leech for energy shield by getting Vaal Pact and Ghost Reaver.
2) In order to get more aura, you need to reduce their mana/hp reserved. You need to get important nodes such as Sovereignty, Influence and Leadership.
3) You won't see a thing in low life mode, so you need Arcane Vision.

Opinion on your build:

1) Get Elemental Overload since you are not playing crit.
2) Get Melding and put Energy From Within jewel near it.
personally I would change the build to look more like this

I don't think you get enough benefit out of getting the templar start for it to be efficient.
Without ghost reaver or zealot's oath energy shield based builds have a rough time, but you can make due with the occultist scion ascendancy point which gives you some regen.
Arcane vision is a must for low life builds, and aura nodes are too potent to miss out on.

As for auras, if you can afford a prism guardian shield:
Spoiler
https://poe.mikelat.com/#RO=kzu/9b.2Fp/v-nc./CSrRc.

With 3 blasphemy curses you have a lot of choices. Personally I would go with temporal chains, enfeeble, and poacher's mark, however i play exclusively hardcore and if you play softcore it is totally viable to just go yolo dps with elemental weakness, frostbite, and poacher's mark. You can also simply mix and match curses as you see fit. Keep in mind you need to get + additional max curses from somewhere in order to use multiple blasphemies. Your best choices are probably whispers of doom in the skill tree and the doedre's damning unique ring.

If you want to use the blood magic gem alone:

and if you can afford a heretic's veil you can just go crazy on blasphemies.

There are no gaping holes in your build plan in general, just remember that going low life is really sketchy at lower levels, I would recommend not swapping to low life until you get to merciless dried lake and of course make sure you have either a solaris lorica or shavronne's wrappings before you swap.
How to make currency in Path of Exile, a comprehensive guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Ig9_8XjC8

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info