Prophecy Mechanics Need A Hotfix Before It's Too Late

"
grepman wrote:
anyway, point is moot. as usual GGG caved in and is now removing a lot of backtracking. of course. never having balls and going away from the initial design *sigh*

I would say that they're far off the original design of the game, by adding that much power creep and trying to please that many casual players now.

( Just to clarify : having casuals playing the game is nothing bad, I'm half casual, but orienting PoE into a casual crowd means changing the initial design. And it's pretty obvious now, way too much power creep, way too much loot, many items way too easily accessible, etc .... I guess I'm being a bit nostalgic now heh ).
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jun 21, 2016, 12:24:48 AM
No balls, confirmed?
These changes are good grepman. More ambushes by Beyond Bosses, Ghosted Exiles and Warband Leaders. I hope they add Invasion Bosses too.

Can't see how you defend backtracking. In the past games had to manage their content/resources as efficiently as possible, this meant reuse wherever and whenever possible. Whilst efficiency should always be encouraged such concepts are becoming increasingly obsolete.
Sending level 80+ exiles back to level 50-60 zones all the time is nothing but filler. You made some decent points here but eventually players will progress past wanting anything to do with these. There was no challenge and it actively blocked you from enjoying prophecy content in more level-appropriate zones (by filling up your prophecy slots and by the weighting mechanic triggering prophecy's that you probably wanted in maps)

@GGG

Thanks for listening. I am looking forward to an improved Prophecy experience :)
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Jun 21, 2016, 4:17:08 AM
Prophecies should have a "cooldown", meaning you cant get the same ones in a row or shortly after and the filler ones should have their spawn rate lowered, each time you complete them.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:
Prophecies should have a "cooldown", meaning you cant get the same ones in a row or shortly after and the filler ones should have their spawn rate lowered, each time you complete them.

For the first bit yes, but it wouldn't be PoE without giving RNG a chance to screw with you. When I was on the cusp of getting fed up with Prophecy and my tab was otherwise full of find rares, etc, I completed two in a map: one inconsequential like summons warband or something and Scouring from the boss. I went to get two more after the map and got the same two prophecies and I just thought, welp.
"
Fruz wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
anyway, point is moot. as usual GGG caved in and is now removing a lot of backtracking. of course. never having balls and going away from the initial design *sigh*

I would say that they're far off the original design of the game, by adding that much power creep and trying to please that many casual players now.

( Just to clarify : having casuals playing the game is nothing bad, I'm half casual, but orienting PoE into a casual crowd means changing the initial design. And it's pretty obvious now, way too much power creep, way too much loot, many items way too easily accessible, etc .... I guess I'm being a bit nostalgic now heh ).
no, everything you're saying is true...I agree.

"
In the past games had to manage their content/resources as efficiently as possible, this meant reuse wherever and whenever possible.

this is incorrect in context of pc gaming, and even in general you can't really generalize this...

I dont understand how you came to the conclusion that backtracking was an evil necessary for efficiency. It's completely and utterly wrong. Please name some examples and quotes.

there is a big difference in being a great programmer who can manage resources and a great designer. backtracking is a function of design, not robustness. so sorry, your whole premise is effectively incorrect.

metroidvania games dont have backtracking because they didnt have resources. it's an essential part of their design. one of the most prominent metroidvania games of our time, Arkham Asylum, featured a ton of backtracking. AA came out in 2009, well past the time games forst became (well actually most games are hogs because truly great programmers in optimization are hard to find) uncontrollable resource hogs
"
grepman wrote:

I dont understand how you came to the conclusion that backtracking was an evil necessary for efficiency. It's completely and utterly wrong. Please name some examples and quotes.

All I see are equally bold claims big fella.

You complain about low-risk prophecy's and with the next breath expound the virtues of backtracking (even in the context of progression rofl).....
Make up your mind.

The nature of this game largely precludes backtracking being positive.

lol
"
grepman wrote:

this is incorrect in context of pc gaming, and even in general you can't really generalize this...

I can't even dignify this. This is utter horseshit. Are you a Game Developer? Quote me any international game company unconcerned with the size of their product.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Jun 23, 2016, 2:27:00 AM
"
"
grepman wrote:

All I see are equally bold claims big fella

you want me to provide more games that have backtracking as part of design ?

I already told you - all metroidvania games. AA. a lot of MGS games (and I dont even fuck with consoles), jedi outcast, lots of resident evil games, dark souls 1... and thats just off the top of my head...there are generally a lot of games that use backtracking as part of the design.

name a game that had backtracking because of efficiency issues. I'll wait.

"

You complain about low-risk prophecy's and with the next breath expound the virtues of backtracking (even in the context of progression rofl).....
Make up your mind.

wait what ? my mind is made up- there is nothing inherently wrong with backtracking in games. your claim is that it was only present in games because of lack of resources. I provided you bunch of modern games that do backtracking.

"

The nature of this game largely precludes backtracking being positive.

your statements are meaningless if you don't back them up with arguments. how is nature of the game precludes positive backtracking ? Im having a good time going back and fighting a unique for a fated unique I wont otherwise get, especially if playing SSF.

"

I can't even dignify this. This is utter horseshit. Are you a Game Developer? Quote me any international game company unconcerned with the size of their product.

I am a developer, and Ive played hundreds of games through my life.

you seem to not understand that loading is usually dynamic in modern games. loading location A which you visited, takes the same amount of resources as loading location B, which is a new location. memory doesnt give a shit what you load into it. sure theres probably some cache that has some preload and all, but its not a big deal, especially nowadays where programs hog a BOATLOAD of memory. fucking browsers hog 1GB of ram, lol

again, backtracking is in majority of cases a design decision, not an optimization decision, especially in any modern (older than like 2003 or so) game. feel free to prove me otherwise
Last edited by grepman on Jun 23, 2016, 11:00:40 PM
Learn2Seal

Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
This should not happen

Especially not after farming red maps for the hour prior.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info