[2.3]Staff CoC Discharge guide (No voll's)

This guide is for the Cast on crit discharge build I made featuring staves!

In 2.4, with the charge generation nerf this build is even less viable than it was before. Its a cool concept but in the end not that effective. (Mr. Build list guy, you can take this off the list because its bad lol)

PROBABLY NOT HC VIABLE IN ITS CURRENT STATE.

Update!
-the build functions the way it was intended
-need to upgrade gear to see how viable it is

Build mechanics

Spoiler
The build is going to revolve around the new juggernaut ascendency node that grants max endurance charges when you can a charge. The build uses multiple methods to generate endurance charges rather than using a Voll's Devotion. I didn't want to plan a build around getting a super expensive unique.

So the builds main source of endurance charges will be the staff node that has a 10% chance to grant an endurance charge on melee crit (GGG, would you consider making this a global chance while wielding a staff? :D ). Now in testing, using only this was to inconsistent and led to many suggestions about getting more charges. The other method we will use is to have a minion gem (Skeles, SRS, etc..) and use the heartbound loop ring, which damages you when a minion expires. This works with the other juggernaut node that has a 20% chance to gain an endurance charge when hit.

The build will also use power charges, but I'll mention more of that later.

Pros and Cons

Spoiler
Pros
-No volls devotion required (but one would be ideal)
-Slightly out of the norm
-Using a staff frees up the chest for either a 6 link or a kaoms heart

Cons
-Will not be as strong as a voll's build with daggers
-Heartbound loop mechanic will be dangerous, armor can help
-Relys on many %chance mechanics, which can be unreliable

Passive tree and bandits

Leveling Plan and trees

Spoiler
The basic beginning plan for me is to level with your basic leveling skills like flame totem/firestorm or melee if I find nice weapons. After I beat Cruel lab, I'll be able to get the Juggernaut node for max endurance charges when you gain one, which means I can level with self cast discharge Until I'm ready for the CoC version.

Here are the planned paths and info behind them.

20 points
Spoiler
The main focus is path up to templar and getting some of the basic nodes in there for leveling. If you're leveling with melee then pick up Resolute technique.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEBAMbYWGM9_IzP9khfPxQg7w5QR-RRZ5uuPsauxPZyqayqWfMaOJBVJy8=

40 points
Spoiler
From here you go into templar and grab the nodes in there. Next path down to the marauder life and also over to the scion life cluster.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEBAMbYWGM9_IzP9khfPxQg7w5QR-RRZ5uuPsauxPZyqayqWfMaOJBVJy862Ow4gpuaO5_f73w8BcBmBLOiAK3xGF33MuoYdqzPfjwtg1-DzLc-

60 points
Spoiler
At this point you're either close to or have done normal labyrinth. Get the Unflinching ascendancy node so that you can go self cast discharge after cruel lab. Head over to the shadow starting area so you're in position to start getting the crit nodes and Vaal pact when you switch to CoC.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEBAMbYWGM9_IzP9khfPxQg7w5QR-RRZ5uuPsauxPZyqayqWfMaOJBVJy862Ow4gpuaO5_f73w8BcBmBLOiAK3xGF33MuoYdqzPfjwtg1-DzLc-wAEGxv4K2L01krXybqpKyD8nKk19W6xHUUzKSl-wm7XDOiSLD6sWvyaVYeI=

80 points
Spoiler
Now you Probably will have done cruel lab, so pick up unrelenting so you can now level with selfcast discharge using enduring cry for charges. Have the endurance charges filled in when you switch to discharge, and pick up vaal pact. Spec out of resolute technique if you were using it. Start filling in the staff crit cluster and the crit cluster near scion.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEBAMbYWGPAAT38BsaMz_ZIXz8UIO8OUEfkUWebrj7GrsT2PC1yqYNfg8ysqvcytz5Z8-oYkn3-Cp8-GjjtRPjrdqzcI9i9LdKQVbyau-3PfphvNZInL0Fykc7lz7XyOtjJZ26q7DhKyIKbPyeaOypNn999W-98PAWsR8BmUUwEs63xykqiABhdb55fsJykm7WHE8M6dwckiw-rFr8mlWHiVUuMNio4

98 points
Spoiler
Get undeniable for the attack speed and accuracy from merc lab. Fill in whatever crit is left for you to grab, get jewel sockets when needed, and fill in life clusters. You've probably switched to CoC now, so the Power charge in templar will help.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEBAMbYWGN9c_ONwAE9_K0J9IMGxozPXaT2SN3VXz8UIH_j7w4x-1BH5FFnm64-xq7E9jwtcqmDX4PMrKr3Mrc-WfPqGJJ9_gqfPho47UT463as3CPyRdi9LdKQVbyau-3z3c9-mG864TWSJy9BcpHOaGXlz6ZX_o-18jrYyWdN426q7DhKyClPgpuFez8na7eaO2ZUKk2FfZ_ffVvvfDwFrEfAZlFMBLOt8cpKogAYXW-eX7DwH5ykm7WHE8M6hMV3Byo4JIsPqxa_JpVh4lVLjDaJ03BS

Planned Links

Spoiler
Staff

Cyclone - Discharge - CoC - summon skeles - Icreased Crit - Life leech/Fire Pen/Faster Attacks

Info
Spoiler
The last link is still undecided and will probably be based on what you need at the time.
The Skelton's will die/get overidden and proc heart bound loop. Be very careful and get as much armor as you can, because this mechanic is dangerous. (thanks permut for testinf and suggesting skeles)

4 Link
Cast when damage taken - increased crit chance - Blade vortex - Power charge on crit

Info
Spoiler
The self inflicted damage from heartbound loop can proc this, meaning you can have blade vortex as a source of power charges against single targets

3-4 Link

Warlords mark - Blasphemy - Aura - (optional assassins mark with dual curse)

Info
Spoiler
Warlords will give leech for life and mana which is a blessing. You can use whatever aura you want, I'm not sure what I'll run with yet.

3-4 Link
Leap Slam - Fortify - Faster attacks - blood magic/anything (thanks permut)

Additional notes
Spoiler
If you want to use a CWDT setup, you can. I would probably have a pretty high level immortal call, and Molten shell. Taking hits during immortal call still can trigger other effects even though you don't take damage.

Gearing the build

Spoiler
The main focus of the build is using a staff, because we have some unique opportunities that Dagger CoC builds don't have

Staff

-Focus on the usual CoC stats link weapon crit, attack speed, and spell damage.
-Get a vagan staff if possible, but they will be harder to find.
-Getting +x to socketed elemental gems is great because Discharge is all elements
-We have the option to master craft things like Blood magic or Life leech onto the weapon
-The flora's give divination cards will be good for getting the 5 link to start with. (Thanks Permut)

This staff is what I used to do some basic testing in standard
Spoiler

Chest Armor
We have 3 main options for the build in its current state.
-The best option will probably be a rare chest with super high armor to mitigate minion damage.
---That also works great with the juggernaut passive that doubles the armor on a chest.

-Next is Kingsguard, which will give us health back while we're discharging.
---This is the most budget option, unless Voll's devotion juggernauts skyrocket the price

-Last is Kaom's Heart, which is great for most builds
---Since our staff can have our discharge setup, this is a great defensive option

Ring
This slot only gets a special mention because we're using Heartbound loop to generate endurance charges when coupled with the Juggernaut passive.

The damage taken on minion death will proc the juggernaut passive that grants endurance charges when you're hit. It does work, I did a lot of testing and so did many other people. An interesting thing is that you can still proc the passive while Imortal call is up, but that will eat our endurance charges so its optional.

The rest of the gear

Focus on your usual stats like resists, life, and lots of armor. For your other jewelry, you can try to use some elreon modded items if you have some trouble sustaining mana.

My gear when I switched into the build
Spoiler

I bought the staff for 5c, and I had a prophecy for 5 linking an item so I used that on the staff. The amulet was about 8c, and I only bought it because I needed a crapton of Int for discharge. You can instead get a few pieces of gear with int instead of a single amulet.

Final Notes about the build. If this build ends up being a failure, do not fret! You can easily just play selfcast discharge and have some crit chance with it. Then you can do the challenge for 1200 voll kills and hopefully farm up a voll's devotion for yourself! Honestly I hope to god this build works, but if it doesn't you have some fall back plans at least if you don't want to make a completely new character. Good luck everyone, and have fun in prophecy!

I don't get to play that often, but I'll update the guide as I progress and see how things work. If you have suggestions, check out the thread linked at the top or comment down below. Many ideas that anybody could come up with were suggested already, but everybody is unique and thinks differently!
Last edited by ShadowStyle on Sep 9, 2016, 10:57:17 AM
Last bumped on Jul 23, 2016, 10:00:33 PM
Reserved
Taking place in first row. Got already my popcorn and cola:)

This could be probably my first discharger build :)
For your planned links, I don't think you need to use life leech, as you're going to be running warlords mark-blasphemy (Which also gives another % to get endurance charges).

However if you do decide to use a inc aoe or conc, that makes your links a 2g4b which is gonna be impossible on an armor chest (which you would want because of the ascendency point that doubles your armor)

For gear I would suggest Hegemony Era? But more importantly you wanna get your 2g4b on the staff.

I like this idea build idea though. Please keep working on it :)
If you don't want LL on the 6th link you should go for fire penetration.
The build is spell oriented, what you want for the weapon slot is a rare staff with ideally:

Fire skill level +2
Spell damage mod
Blood Magic OR fire damage leeched as life OR +fire spell damage, could also get + cold damage on hit if you want to run with EE.

Critical strike chance
Attack speed
Crit chance to spells

But pretty much anything will do as long as you've got attack speed and a good chunk of crit on it.

At the start of the season i'd recommend people to buy a 5L staff to use, as they'll probably be cheap due to the "The Flora's Gift" card. (Just look for a base with 7.0 or 7.2 crit, you won't be able to roll highest stats on those staves but it's good enough to start with. (or to just use until you get voll's devotion and get rid of the staff anyway))
As well as random kingsguard armour and random heartbound loop, after that you're ready to go.
Last edited by permut on Jun 2, 2016, 6:18:05 AM
"
permut wrote:
If you don't want LL on the 6th link you should go for fire penetration.
The build is spell oriented, what you want for the weapon slot is a rare staff with ideally:

Fire skill level +2
Spell damage mod
Blood Magic OR fire damage leeched as life OR +fire spell damage, could also get + cold damage on hit if you want to run with EE.

Critical strike chance
Attack speed
Crit chance to spells

But pretty much anything will do as long as you've got attack speed and a good chunk of crit on it.

At the start of the season i'd recommend people to buy a 5L staff to use, as they'll probably be cheap due to the "The Flora's Gift" card. (Just look for a base with 7.0 or 7.2 crit, you won't be able to roll highest stats on those staves but it's good enough to start with. (or to just use until you get voll's devotion and get rid of the staff anyway))
As well as random kingsguard armour and random heartbound loop, after that you're ready to go.

The flora's give card is a very good suggestion, I'll put that into the gearing guide. Thanks for the suggestion
A couple more things: i believe it's a better combination to add:

CWDT - PC.OC - Imp. Crit - Blade Vortex

Into both a 4 link item and the chestpiece, instead of Vengeance.
CWDT will proc all the time pretty much due to heartbound loop. (if you happen to have more than 4 slots in the chestpiece you can also add vaal hastes to it)

Blood magic is also good to add to leap slam if you happen to end up with blood magic on the weapon, so you can use more auras or blasphemy curses. (Warlord's Mark, Assassin's Mark and Purity of Fire comes to mind - even Purity of Elements if your gear is scarce on resistances and you need it for elemental weakness maps.)
Last edited by permut on Jun 2, 2016, 3:49:53 PM
"
permut wrote:
A couple more things: i believe it's a better combination to add:

CWDT - PC.OC - Imp. Crit - Blade Vortex

Into both a 4 link item and the chestpiece, instead of Vengeance.
CWDT will proc all the time pretty much due to heartbound loop. (if you happen to have more than 4 slots in the chestpiece you can also add vaal hastes to it)

Blood magic is also good to add to leap slam if you happen to end up with blood magic on the weapon, so you can use more auras or blasphemy curses. (Warlord's Mark, Assassin's Mark and Purity of Fire comes to mind - even Purity of Elements if your gear is scarce on resistances and you need it for elemental weakness maps.)

The cwdt idea is much better than vengeance, I was trying to be to edgy with vengeance LOL

More aura's or curses is a good idea, I'm not sure what I want to use yet. Those are several good suggestions, I'll update the guide.
Why not to use Kingsguard as armor?
I think it will be the best for this build

P.S.
Why not to use Scold's Bridle?
I think it will give endur charges 1-2 times per sec
Plus it gives us 100% bonus spell damage
Last edited by Be3yBuu on Jul 25, 2016, 7:21:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info