Who else is not going to play PoE anymore because of the lab?

"
Johny_Snow wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
......hey, I have to go through each lab and trial again with every new character I make.
You only have to do the trials once per league, so scratch that excuse off your list.

Thats the thing though - I still have to do everything every new league. Why did I stop making new characters? Because I don't want to run the lab. Same logic applies to starting a new league.

Unless my progress is saved between leagues and the fact that I did the 3 difficulty labs before is taken into account I will not go through any of the crappy trials and labs again. Simple.

wholeheartedly agreed with this , the trials and normalcruel into merc transition every lab kills the thought of creating new characters if you are not a 12 hours per day player.
and even if you are - you just think "omg now ive to do trials and lab all over again euuuugh".

This thread is silly. I hate the lab as much as anyone, but you don't have to play it. The rest of the game is just like it was before the lab. And I find the trials a nice addition, fun little side areas in existing zones.
It's really pathetic that after how many years of development, they really haven't grown much at all. Shows how poor of a direction this game has been going. The lab sure doesn't help things.
please put resources into the lab. (if only to get sexcalibure to leave forever)
Why do ppl keep moaning about lab? Just play through the difficulties and get to mapping and when you're around 85 or so, just faceroll your way through normal/cruel labs and even merci should be fairly easy, given that you have a decent build and semi-decent gear. Also, now it's shared by all chars, so you don't even have to do the 3x6 trials on each char anymore... so what's the problem? At 85+ you can just speedrun your way through all labs in less than 1 hour and then you just have the endgame lab, which is a bit more tedious, but it's not like you NEED it as fast as possible. Calm the hell down ppl :D
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
"
Paldamus wrote:
Why do ppl keep moaning about lab? Just play through the difficulties and get to mapping and when you're around 85 or so, just faceroll your way through normal/cruel labs and even merci should be fairly easy, given that you have a decent build and semi-decent gear. Also, now it's shared by all chars, so you don't even have to do the 3x6 trials on each char anymore... so what's the problem? At 85+ you can just speedrun your way through all labs in less than 1 hour and then you just have the endgame lab, which is a bit more tedious, but it's not like you NEED it as fast as possible. Calm the hell down ppl :D

This. It's my way too. Game isn't (at least atm!) not really balanced around ascendancy points. Playing HC, I make my way as usual and end merc, sooner or later, I took my sweet subclass points in a couple of minutes. I just can't understand, why so many players have problems with that.
"better to simply go balls deep full retard if you gonna go retard." -Boem-

Oh yes, say so to my squishy character from the previous league. Even at level 85 there was a possibility to get one shot and GGG did nothing to address merciless Izaru.
the labyrinth is actually my most favorite area in the game, but i can understand why its frustrating for some people. i guess it really depends on the mindset one approaches it with. i don't mean to sound ignorant in this post, everyone is different and i can really relate to the frustration of people who want to get rid of the labyrinth. that said, i'll share my mindset in hopes that it inspires a few people to at least enjoy the labyrinth a little bit more.

main reason i like it so much is the excitement: when you go in rather "early" (about right away when you can) it is usually a big challenge. its been a long time since i was as thrilled as during the 3rd encounters with izaro, barely getting away with about 1% health several times. even when dying at a point where i could have finished him with culling strike i wasn't mad, it was more of a "i really can do this" experience that hyped me for trying again. barely getting away from traps in later areas of the labyrinth had a similar effect: it is much more rewarding if there is actually something at stake.

in contrast, some of the later bosses (e.g. malachai) seemed impossible for me to survive on higher difficulty levels (at that point). losing some xp to dying is also a bit of a thrill, but not nearly as much. reaching 0% of your current level negates any further setback entirely. i realise xp becomes much more valuable at very high levels (i'm at 80 so its no real issue yet) but it seems unlikely to me that a grinding-routine that eventually grants you a single passive skill point (one of literally more than 100) could be as rewarding as specific event that you either best or not in order to get a significant permanent boost (ascendancy points).

the odd thing is, if the labyrinth were any easier, it would actually be more frustrating, for me at least, to die in there. thats because i would expect to make it through in the first place. as it is now, i don't (at least not on the first runs that grant ascendancy points).

sure, i also long for early ascendancy points, but if a build turns out to have big trouble in the labyrinth i can just come back with higher level and better gear. its like one of those simple-minded movies where the protagonist is beaten/defeated and has to go through training or a journey or w/e that makes him/her powerful enough to "surprisingly" overcome the seemingly impossible challenge.

tl;dr it may help to reconsider ones mindset when entering the labyrinth for the first time(s) with a character. it is not ment to be a routine thing to ascend, consider it to be something special instead, with a reward that should never be taken for granted. there is no shame in dying, its more of a beating-the-unfavorable-odds kind of thing, kind of like going very far with a hardcore character.
After going through Labyrinth again... I must say I nearly had a heart attack, my fingers were shaking by the end and I immediately rushed towards the Ascendancy Plaque. It's not a nice feeling but I guess some people like it. I was down to 25% HP and ran out of flask charges. My Totems were able to kill Izaro eventually.

Due to how the First and Second Trials turned out I ended up fighting Izaro with 3 Charges and the Lightning Golem up. Thankfully the Third Trial's Arena composed of Spike Traps and Fire Pits.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
The lab is not that bad. It just takes a bit of practice, proper movement skills, knowing Izaro mechanics etc. The rewards outweigh the time investment needed to easily run through in any difficulty. (not speaking of endgame here)

All of that being said, the lab forced me into SC this league after two rips in HC. I've played HC exclusively since I began playing POE with the start of the flashback league. Not sure if I will give up HC all together or not but I certainly won't give up the game entirely because of the lab.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info