Why is this game so "spiky"?

Well, it would require a slight reduction in leech, regeneration, more punishing mods for instant regeneration flasks, and, like the old leech changes, more nodes for regen.
So the people who want faster regen can take more regen nodes and more flask nodes, but then have either less offence or less health to regenerate.
Problem is, you'd also have to tone down the higher end of player damage.
Remember when builds of the week would show actual fights with monsters you could see for several seconds? Monsters also deal that high damage because they got at best one hit.
All for it, but I don't believe it is happening.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
"
Bradytribe wrote:
Let's try a different approach.

Do you prefer this spike damage? If so then I guess good for you, PoE is great for you. I just don't think its the right way to go, and I thought others shared, but if not that's fine.

I just don't like the idea of 98-99% of time at full life, other 1% at 0-20% life. It's not fun to me.

Totally agreed, it would be way cooler if you had to manage your health, instead of always having to be at maximum to avoid instant death. As racis said, though, it would require a pretty massive rebalance of all health-regaining methods.

I'd say so massive it's impossible at that point. There are too many ways to mitigate damage and sustain your HP pool to give anything but burst damage a chance at killing you.

They'll have to completely rework:
- instant flasks
- instant leech
- mjolner kingsguard builds
- monster damage

A few side effects:

- goodbye most CI and lowlife builds
- goodbye racing
- goodbye most streamers

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bradytribe wrote:
Let's try a different approach.

Do you prefer this spike damage? If so then I guess good for you, PoE is great for you. I just don't think its the right way to go, and I thought others shared, but if not that's fine.

I just don't like the idea of 98-99% of time at full life, other 1% at 0-20% life. It's not fun to me.

Sounds like you don't really know how to avoid damage.
No, sounds like he prefers game mechanics where the life bar isn't binary.
The two allowed values for most life characters being "full" and "not enough".
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:

Sounds like he should play another genre then.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:

I don't know what game you're playing cause you're certainly not playing the same game as I am.

Burst damage does exist. Particularly if you build your character like shit, or you take too many risks, or you're terrible in your mechanics in dodging projectiles and spells.

I'm not saying that all burst damage in this game is fair or well designed, I'm saying most of the burst damage you die to are avoidable, or you took too many risks by building your character badly or entering a map your character isn't supposed to enter.

So basically:

"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:

Precisely. For me, this leads to unengaging gameplay with periodic panic moments because I found something that can burst me. It could be much more fun, just as someone else said that "it would be fun to balance health." But as it stands, its either boring or scary. I should note that one-shots being in this game are okay, given that they are telepathed and less often.

Others have mentioned that this would require significant changes to the game. Yes, thats correct, and unfortuantely it's probably a bit late to really fix the issue, since many things would require changing.. However, that doesn't mean GGG should keep heading in this direction.

Here are a few things that would probably change PoE to a less bursty game where balancing HP/ES is a thing. I understand these changes may or may not be in the best interest of the game or its streamers. I do think it would help, but I haven't thought over it too much.

1. Nerf instant heal flasks, or remove them.
2. Increase the amount monsters crit, and reduce their crit multiplier
3. Remove instant leaving of an area, otherwise players would never die.

Reasons 1 and 3 existing are primarily why GGG must 1 shot us.

Those are the big ones for me. I understand this probably won't happen, but it's a shame the game is in the state it is. I might not keep playing because of it (for reasons stated in earlier posts).
Last edited by Bradytribe on May 30, 2016, 8:06:59 PM
I just tried to look at OP's characters. And lo and behold they not viewable.
"
I just tried to look at OP's characters. And lo and behold they not viewable.

My characters have nothing to do with this topic. Notice how in my original post I referenced other's people characters in hardcore to show the spikyness of Path of Exile, and not a story of how I died. Please be constructive, and if you disagree, explain why instead of trying to say "git gud noob."

To address your post about most being dodgeable and "git gud."
You are correct the vast majority are avoidable and telepathed, and can also be prevented by avoiding certain areas that a character is not fit for. Otherwise, people wouldn't be hitting level 100 on hardcore. However, my post is about why the game is spiky, not that you can beat it. My opinion is that having burst as the only way to kill a character is not fun, and I would prefer health to not be a binary state in this game, as it would lead to more engaging play (see other comments for why). If you believe having this full health or almost no health is superior/more fun, please explain how and why, since I'd love to enjoy this game. (It really is a great game, aside from a few things)
Last edited by Bradytribe on May 30, 2016, 11:43:04 PM
I can sum it up as: Path of Exile Hard. Very hard.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info