How to make PVP more popular:

GGG doesn't pay much attention to PVP simply because only a small percentage of people participate, and most people who play on leagues are way too concerned with levelling to pay any heed to PVP.

I think a way to give PVP some traction is to have a player-setup PVP tournament focused on incremented rewards with opportunity for average players to compete and even win decent prizes. For example, if there was a 500 exalt pool of currency, first place could take 100 ex, 2nd 50 ex, and 3rd 25 ex etc... but also have rewards at certain stages in the tournament.

What about current pvp issues you say? well unfortunately for now if such a tournament was hosted, there would need to be skill restrictions - for example, banning the use of EA and spark.

Honestly, a well timed and thought out tournament aimed at average players could bring back some popularity to PVP, and thus bring GGG back to the drawing board.

Thoughts?
Main characters: Deep_water - AnomaIy - Artica
Build guides: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1602863
Last bumped on May 30, 2016, 3:16:52 PM
You're beating a dead horse here, yes this could bring more people to pvp but the sad reality his :

- The game is so broken now that it would take countless hours to balance everything. You mentionned EA and Sparks, that's just the tip of the iceberg. wWhat about LA, Traps stacks, BW, anything combined with inquisitor, Dot Crit, Ice Storm, ect.... The list is so long that i lost count of whats broken right now (pretty much everything is tbh)

- The crafting system in this game sadly give top players (or rmters, there is not much difference at some point) a MASSIVE advantage over other players. Really one build could turn from absolute shit to godlike with the right items and that would create so many rants and salt that ggg would want to avoid that at all cost.
They tried with low level pvp and even there it was more of a gear shodown that a proper skill based contest. (I watched some hegemony stream during it and trust me 99.5% of the participants had absolute zero chances against the stuff he was using).

PvP meta is getting worse and worse with every patch that I now think it's beyond recovery. It will never be a "thing" again in PoE (even Chris said so in some podcast a while back). Right now you'll have to accept the fact that PvP will stay a crapfest one shot shodown for the lulz or leave the game like many did.
Last edited by IceDeal on May 29, 2016, 6:18:49 PM
pvp unfortunately requires less and less skill with each patch. when people lose a duel, they wanna believe that there is an answer somewhere that they can acquire and get stronger. but in poe pvp there is not. duels are mostly gear checks and exploit of broken game mechanics caused by lack of vision of GGG in early days of poe.

i'd say, the pvp viability equation is something like:

(your HP) x (movespeed) > durability

(dps) x your attack range: your pvp strength

the rest is all about right click, a little bit positioning and flask management(which is not very hard)
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on May 29, 2016, 6:05:24 PM
"
Rupenus wrote:
pvp unfortunately requires less and less skill with each patch. when people lose a duel, they wanna believe that there is an answer somewhere that they can acquire and get stronger. but in poe pvp there is not. duels are mostly gear checks and exploit of broken game mechanics caused by lack of vision of GGG in early days of poe.

the rest is all about right click, a little bit positioning and flask management(which is not very hard)

I know this guy, that's been saying that since before 1.0. That told this community where PvP would end up if GGG kept doing what they were/weren't doing. They enlisted the help of Greenturd to balance PvP when he didn't know shit then left PvP crippled worse then it started. All while most people shared that mindset you speak of, that there's a true answer to the imbalance via in game item combinations/tree adjustments. Basically wasting currency at a rapid rate desperately trying to find it, when for most things it just wasn't there and never was. Nice to see damn near everyone remaining in this PvP community agrees with what I wrote years ago.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Hmph, no ea, no spark.

Seems like La isn't quite as hated on here...

Nurse would win imo.
[Gear & Club] ¯\(°_°)/¯ #1 Professional Afk Club /2133058
[Hideout] New Oriath /2505008
[Pvp Trophy] PVP #1 EU & US EA /1591888 | | BM EA /1431163
[Dead] PSC La /1682118, Build BM PA /1296491, BM IG LL ST /1121092, Shop /874905
"God's in his Heaven, All's right with the world!" IGN: Libritannia
Before we get tourney's going we must do lots of pre-work.

Gettin' all business-y onya. Here's my 3 point plan:

1. Attract PVP attention in temp leagues

I think the best course of action would be to go where the player base is. Most people play in new leagues, and people PVP more than some would think. Mostly because they're not up against mirrored setups etc... so they are more willing to try things. After content is established, stand in town advertising PVP threads with videos etc...

2. Supply new players with PVP Content

Let's face it. People don't respond well to "walls of text". This is a video game, and we have to keep their attention to make them care. We as a community have to supply people with videos and other content. Mathil's followers think he invented LA/FW, if there was a video instead of "walls of text", I feel it could have gone differently. Maybe not, but who knows!

Last couple days in my free time I created a basic youtube channel and I've started to record both PVE and PVP content with OBS. The numbers aren't crazy, but I've had several people telling me to stream etc... My personal and professional life doesn't allow me to be on any set schedule, so recording and upping as I get free time is the best thing I can offer. Might even do voiced ones later to explain mechanics etc...

People want to see PVP characters clear PVE as well.

I know we trivialize PVE content over on the PVP side, but we must bridge the gap between the two. We must show the people that say, "Oh this isn't a PVP char, it's PVE" that it's possible to do both with the same character. Even in league! Some people don't like making multiple characters and want to do it all with one. We need to show them this is easily done.

In my Main Shop Thread I have started to upload some PVE content that goes to My Youtube Page (SUBSCRIBE!!!) that has both PVE and PVP content. I would also be more than happy to spectate others in sarn and in 1v1s to record and upload their matches for more people to see so it's not just me.

3. Encourage players to PVP in SC after leagues

Listen, whether people like it or not, eventually everything rolls to standard (unless you're the 5 guys still playing HC). This is just the way it is, and nothing is going to change about that in the foreseeable future. If people PVP in leagues, they will have this established character that will rollover to SC that they can hit the ground running with and start min-maxing. 3 Month leagues are too long also, People get bored by 1.5-2month so PVP in SC is a great thing for people to do before the next league stats. I really feel there is an opportunity here.

I feel the game is hitting a point where the a great population of the playerbase is recognizing the lack of balance and the OP-ness Ascendancy brought on. This won't be done overnight, but hopefully I think we'll eventually hit a point where balance/maintenance will be valued instead of adding new content to already broken mechanics.

All I got for now, gtg!

<3
🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134
Last edited by Ahfack on May 30, 2016, 12:04:06 PM
"
Rupenus wrote:

Ehhhhh. I mean sure, yea, you're not wrong, but I can say that sometimes there IS an element of skill involved, but it usually comes down to recognizing players' names or quickly getting used to what they do to fuck them over. Example: There was some Necromancer witch who was using the Offering skills to become nearly invincible, so I got my own Offering skill to take her corpses before she could use any of them. Or if someone uses CWDT flame dash, I just coat myself in icestorms and try to pull them in. If you're not exactly rolling in faces (currency), then you may as well be clever.

Sometimes pvp DOES require thought other than "right click". It's mostly the exceedingly wealthy or powerful characters who have the mind-numbing pvp experience of just right-clicking and occasionally glancing at the screen. But GGG is shooting themselves in the foot by not fixing pvp damage values, honestly. If they had any doubt that pvp would be popular, they're not helping themselves by neglecting it. They're so adamant about not touching pvp that they're just adding more shit to the list of things they need to fix. If they'd actually just dealt with any issues we brought up at the time, they wouldn't have so much to deal with at once.
Lavender or Leave.
PvPresident, 2016
//
You'd better run.
“EA is fine” -relith

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info