Melee balance

At this moment the dedicated melee support:
- Melee physical damage gives about 50% more damage, while
- Poison gives about double via etc etc (nothig particular invested in poison)

This is not balance. Do something about it.

Ex: Melee physical damage - 150% more damage at lvl 20

The number looks ridiculously high?
Not if you compare with the benefit from poison!
Ridiculous is the actual state of melee balance.
Last edited by Argedava on May 28, 2016, 6:42:10 AM
Last bumped on Jun 2, 2016, 3:16:43 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
And it's going to stay that way, because GGG hates melee. Learn it, remember it.
"
Argedava wrote:
At this moment the dedicated melee support:
- Melee physical damage gives about 50% more damage, while
- Poison gives about double via etc etc (nothig particular invested in poison)

This is not balance. Do something about it.

Ex: Melee physical damage - 150% more damage at lvl 20

The number looks ridiculously high?
Not if you compare with the benefit from poison!
Ridiculous is the actual state of melee balance.

That doesnt matter, actually.

Whole meta should be fixed before melee will be viable.
Current meta is insane power-creep. Players oneshot packs 1 screen away in 6-man party and move at 300%+ movespeed. With such power-creep, it's IMPOSSIBLE for melee to be viable, BY DEFINITION! Melee has shorter range/AoE than ranged, and with current meta, range/AoE/movespeed are the only things that matter. We need much tougher enemies, that will actually take some time to be killed even with over-powered Ascendancy classes. Especially bosses. Also, bosses should be highly rewarding, now you can just skip a "incovenient" boss - you wont get much for killing it anyway.

I played Earthquake crit Slayer in Perandus. It isnt meta build even! Technically it's melee, but in reality, it isnt. He's just a semi-ranged char with huge AoE. He feels loke demigod, oneshoting whole screen at once. And meta builds have several times higher AoE and movespeed!
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on May 28, 2016, 7:14:33 AM
melee balance does not exist

it is an afterthought and a noob traps that will dishearten new players and make them leave

currently there is NOT A SINGLE reason to play melee. NOT A SINGLE ONE.
Well I played one melee build this league and I found it to be really fun and ridiculously easy to level. But I never took that character past lvl 78 lol. I could see it was not going to scale well at all. Still I did get to 70 k DPS with EQ (when buffed) without trying much.

To be honest I think offense needs a bit of a bump, but it's really the defence that's needs a huge bump. A gem like fortify, but it ramps up and gets stronger with more and more melee hits. (And disable for whirling blades of course)

Meh just my 2 cents on the issue. But yes, melee is a mess right now.
Last edited by nephilim1984 on May 28, 2016, 8:26:09 AM
Two things about Earthquake:

1. It's not a melee skill. It's a ranged/magic attack that just happens to use a melee weapon.

2. It's tuned to be significantly more powerful than other skills with the melee tag.

If you're basing your opinion on melee in POE on Earthquake, you're going to end up with a very skewed opinion. It's not representative of melee skills in POE at all.

One of melee's biggest problems (actual melee where you actually hit enemies with your weapon instead of just punching the ground or the air) is related to the difficulty of targeting single enemies in POE. Until that's fixed, the only "melee" skills that are any good are the ranged/magic skills like Earthquake, Sunder, and Reave.

I'd love to see a variety of fixes for melee's many problems. Maybe there's something in the upcoming patch notes they've kept secret so far. There needs to be or we'll have another three months of melee being pure garbage.
We've already had three years of melee being pure gargabe, why would it change now?
Melee is fine just make sure your build is good .
R.I.P 4.B.
"
Jennik wrote:
Two things about Earthquake:

1. It's not a melee skill. It's a ranged/magic attack that just happens to use a melee weapon.

2. It's tuned to be significantly more powerful than other skills with the melee tag.

If you're basing your opinion on melee in POE on Earthquake, you're going to end up with a very skewed opinion. It's not representative of melee skills in POE at all.

One of melee's biggest problems (actual melee where you actually hit enemies with your weapon instead of just punching the ground or the air) is related to the difficulty of targeting single enemies in POE. Until that's fixed, the only "melee" skills that are any good are the ranged/magic skills like Earthquake, Sunder, and Reave.

I'd love to see a variety of fixes for melee's many problems. Maybe there's something in the upcoming patch notes they've kept secret so far. There needs to be or we'll have another three months of melee being pure garbage.

I just said melee is underpowered and needs a buff... And I have played dual strike and double strike, I'm not just basing it on EQ alone.
"
sidtherat wrote:
melee balance does not exist

it is an afterthought and a noob traps that will dishearten new players and make them leave

currently there is NOT A SINGLE reason to play melee. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

- It's bad ass and it looks bad ass.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info