Dragon Jooced - Budget Guardian support (Rank 6 Guardian - Perandus Flashback)

INTRODUCTION

This is a build guide for my Budget Support Guardian.

IMPORTANT UPDATES

New unique chest and boots have been added to the game which are interesting for our build:

Makes us immune to bleed which is important (see further down this update)

More ES and makes dragon Jooce more powerful at the cost of 1 aura(purity of elements) and slightly increased damage taken.

It has come to my attention that using the dragon jooce with no ES while taking damage over time may kill you (labyrinth traps, ignite, bleed)

Chaos damage of certain mobs has been greatly buffed, the spitting snake mobs are particularly dangerous so it is more important than ever to cap our chaos resist!.

A video on the updated info is also below.

VIDEO

Video Guide
Update

OVERVIEW

Pros:

+ Cheap
+ Great armour/es and aura support for your team.
+ Fairly good defenses for yourself depending on exact aura configuration you choose.
+ good way to make friends?

Cons:

- Requires chaos resistance
- May require sacrifice!

SKILL TREE

Templar

Passives

Ascendancy Points: Radiant Faith, Unwavering Faith, Prayer of Glory and possibly Harmony of Purpose(depending on group setup).

Bandits:Help none! EVER! We only help other exiles. (although perhaps Oak on merciless... BUT DONT TELL ANYONE!)

LEVELING TREES

Just level with whatever elemental AoE skill you find least frustrating.
Spoiler
you are aiming for a level 70 similar to
Passives

SKILL TREE EXPLANATION

What we are trying to do is maximize the amount of auras we can use while sustaining a good balance between life, energy shield and armour. We add in some jewel sockets to further adjust our life and ES as well as some skill effect duration and Arcane Chemistry which with the correct belt will allow us 3 uses of our Dragon Jooce(More on that later).

JEWELS

We use jewels with resistances/life/ES/Armour and other defensive wonders, adding some attack speed doesn't hurt either.

SKILL DPS

Spoiler

DEFENSE

GEAR

FLASKS
Dragon Jooce!
Our most important flask, this will allow us a massive amount of ES heal on demand and can also be used when we are sustaining massive amounts of chaos damage(though I never had to use it for this)when used in combination with the next flask we completely negate its drawback.

this heals almost our entire unreserved life pool after using the Coruscating Elixir and can also be used to heal up in "Panicked Flask Piano" situations(one of my teammates noticed the few times I came close to death how helpful this combo was.
IMPORTANT NOTE: get into the habit of using this immediately after coruscating elixir otherwise chaos degens will kill you extremely quickly in no regen maps.

the other flasks should be selected situationally based on what you feel your largest weaknesses are...

... or just randomly based on laziness and lack of need to change them.

GEAR EXPLANATION

Spoiler
Weapon

We have a few potential weapons depending on our group setup and preferred movement skills.
for Whirling Blades we have:

A decent option if you feel you have more than enough life

My preferred whirling blades option as it gives us life, ES, Block and the free fortify link

for leap slam we have:

this gives us some extra slowing power as well as making us have an awesome singularity effect for FREE!

this allows us to leap really fast and adds some extra resistances, it also will make us nostalgic for the days of perandus league with its golden glow!.

Off-Hand

Allows us to reserve roughly HALF our LIFE with 3 of the more expensive auras. this has been CONFIRMED.

Helm
this is one of our best sources of ES so I use The Vertex currently

However any rare ES helm with chaos resist and potentially life/mana would likely be far better

Chest

Victario's Influence

This is what makes the build budget and due to its relatively low cost and the fact that we dont need to 6 link it, we can set our sights on a +1 to level of gems corruption.

Gloves

Rare gloves with life/ES/Chaos Res/Dex are great here

Boots

Much like gloves but we like movement speed here for good positioning during fights where our team is relatively seperated.

Amulet

a Rare amulet with %ES and Life as well as filling in any stats/resists we need.

Rings

I like life+chaos res coral rings here although flat ES and other resistances are pretty great here.

Belt

Life, Energy shield, Chaos resist and Reduced Flask Charges Used so that we can use that Dragon Jooce!

LINKS AND GEMS

Chest: 2L: Hatred/Grace + Enlighten.
4L: Empower + Purity of Fire + Purity of Lightning + Purity of Ice.

Gloves: Vaal Haste, Rallying Cry, Increased Duration, Increased Area of Effect.
Boots: Vaal Discipline, Abyssal Cry(for PorcuPopcorn), Increased Duration, Increased Area of Effect.
Shield: Determination, Discipline, Haste (all auras we want to affect us as well)
Weapon: Whirling Blades + Faster Attacks + Blood Magic or Leap Slap + Faster Attacks + Blood Magic.
Helm: Purity of Elements/Vitality + Enduring Cry, Flame Dash(if whirling blades), Summon Chaos Golem or any other supporting skills you may need, for example I use Frost Bomb on some Wasteland maps to counter Voll's regeneration if he is proving to be frustrating.

Aura Setup
We end up running Grace or Hatred and 3 purities through generosity giving our teammates around 100%+ increased effect as well as 1-2 extra levels on these gems. making it relatively easy to give our allies an extra 10% to their maximum resistances and around 5000 evasion.

we then have a Determination granting us close to 100% MORE armour, a Discipline granting us over 600 ES and a haste granting us 18% MS, 34% Attack Spd + Cast Spd as well as a purity of elements granting us over 50% to all elemental resistances or Vitality granting us an extra 3% life regeneration.

Golem
if you have the space I recommend Chaos Golem since it adds to your Physical damage reduction quite effectively.

EFFECTIVELY JOOCING YOUR TEAM
Firstly: Try to run in front of your team to warn them of incoming threats, such as BEARS!(these killed me a whole lot whilst running behind my party) and remember that positioning is important, you want to make sure that you are standing in a situation that isnt too dangerous as well as in aura range of your allies, this is your primary focus and the only real thing that will be using your brain power.

Secondly: the right warcry for the right situation, try to balance out your 3 warcries to 1. sustain your Endurance charges 2. get the maximum damage buff from your Rallying Cry, 3. stop PorcuPopcorn from killing your team with their spine explosions on death.

Thirdly and Most Interestingly: We need to stay alive when times are getting tough for our team so we have our Coruscating Elixir(detailed under flasks) and we have our vaal discipline for the real CLUTCH situations.

Also its nice to keep our vaal haste up as often as possible.

The Blasphemy Variant

Passives

this is great if your party only requires a single support and you would like to run curses instead of purities.

the only other changes are either Windscream, Doedre's Damning or a +1 curse corrupted amulet being added and slightly different links in your chest namely removing the purities and empower to add: Blasphemy + Temporal Chains + Curse 2 + Curse 3 which in my case were Warlord's Mark and Enfeeble/Vulnerability.

The "Solo Viable" SRS or Party DPS boost Variant

Passives

This is a great version if you occasionally find yourself needing to solo, it does however require

We link Summon Raging Spirit+Spell Echo+Minion Damage+Melee Splash at half the mana cost thanks to the helm.

for our auras we drop the purities and instead put Empower+Wrath+Anger in their place.

this will provide our party with a massive flat damage boost from anger and an additional flat lightning to attackers or a massive 42% MORE lightning damage to casters.

this build also can solo some of the easier maps with an average clear speed thanks to our summon raging spirits.

the preferred weapon for this is

Provides a small damage boost, allows for leap slamming and also allows us to have 2 golems for some extra damage.
BoE
(BoE)item=Victario's+Influence;item=Prism+Guardian;item=Coruscating+Elixir;defense=Hybrid+Life/ES;cheap=true;hardcore=true;coc=false;crit=false;atziri=false(BoE)

THE END
Last edited by codraziel on Sep 8, 2016, 9:28:11 PM
Last bumped on Aug 29, 2016, 5:22:16 PM
Thanks for your build guide. :)
It seems really interesting, and not as "boring" as the normal guardian supporter.

Btw. why are you running grace with generosity? Wouldn't it increase your survivability a lot?
And how is your survivability? Did you already die on SC?
The chaos dmg won't be a problem, if you have enough chaos res? :D
How would ya improve your build further.. like getting gear with more es?

Maybe I will try it next league, since I like your concept a lot. :D

"
Thanks for your build guide. :)
It seems really interesting, and not as "boring" as the normal guardian supporter.

Btw. why are you running grace with generosity? Wouldn't it increase your survivability a lot?
And how is your survivability? Did you already die on SC?
The chaos dmg won't be a problem, if you have enough chaos res? :D
How would ya improve your build further.. like getting gear with more es?

Maybe I will try it next league, since I like your concept a lot. :D

Overall the build was fairly tanky however I died a few times(a lot while levelling :D) all of my deaths were competence related(things that have the word bearer in them mostly) and once in a 60% reduced regen map by charging into a beyond boss thinking my Dragon Jooce would keep me alive :)

grace can be run outside the chest with some tweaking however I found this setup ended up working better for the team support aspect, although if you have a fixed team adjustments can be made.

the chaos damage would be an issue if you didnt follow the guide's stipulation to get chaos resistance, though I did fine with about 30% in the higher maps I would recommend at least 60.

as far as improvements go, I was attempting to vaal my prism guardian for +1 Gems
it also would have been great to get better boots/gloves and a helm with life or mana + more ES and maybe some int. The Vertex is by no means BiS.
also 20% quality on the auras for the extra radius would have been great if I didnt go vaal orb crazy as soon as they hit 20.

lastly thank you! the positive response on the build has inspired me to continue with this and other guides!
Last edited by codraziel on Jun 2, 2016, 6:28:02 PM
Hey there, I'm gona run your build as my starter on Prophecy HC looks nice tho. BTW I think you should include the jewel stat priorities in your main post.
"
kapoda0 wrote:
Hey there, I'm gona run your build as my starter on Prophecy HC looks nice tho. BTW I think you should include the jewel stat priorities in your main post.

Glad to hear it, im sure the stat priorities are in the jewels section, since we're not doing any damage its fairly simple, life or es+ resistances and possibly attack speed.
Alright so I did some testing with your build, 2 characters died the 3rd one is sitting at 85 currently. My first toughts was I'm gona be selfish and not run Victario's Influence cause i want the bonus max res too. The other big change I made is that I pick up Zealoth's Oath from the Purity of Flesh node, the extra ES regen is pretty nice. And since I'm not using Victarios these ended up as my auras https://poe.mikelat.com/#9vF1-Rh/9b.8rx/1zFh.bob/9b.iVd.

Also Pro tip from me: Don't use your Dragon Jooce flask while you are sitting on a trap in the labyrinth and you already lost all of your ES, you can't use your panicked potion fast enugh trust me. :P
Last edited by kapoda0 on Jun 8, 2016, 7:53:43 PM
"
kapoda0 wrote:
Alright so I did some testing with your build, 2 characters died the 3rd one is sitting at 85 currently. My first toughts was I'm gona be selfish and not run Victario's Influence cause i want the bonus max res too. The other big change I made is that I pick up Zealoth's Oath from the Purity of Flesh node, the extra ES regen is pretty nice. And since I'm not using Victarios these ended up as my auras https://poe.mikelat.com/#9vF1-Rh/9b.8rx/1zFh.bob/9b.iVd.

Also Pro tip from me: Don't use your Dragon Jooce flask while you are sitting on a trap in the labyrinth and you already lost all of your ES, you can't use your panicked potion fast enugh trust me. :P

I'm busy with another build and I too noticed that about Dragon Jooce, a few times, glad I test these things in standard leagues :P, I see you're running alpha's howl, that was a thought I had as well, but in the end victarios was all I needed. what were you using instead?
"
codraziel wrote:
"
kapoda0 wrote:

I'm busy with another build and I too noticed that about Dragon Jooce, a few times, glad I test these things in standard leagues :P, I see you're running alpha's howl, that was a thought I had as well, but in the end victarios was all I needed. what were you using instead?

I'm just using a random ES chest
currently siting at 2k unreserved life and 6.5k ES with all the auras. My problem with the Victario is that you really need the bonus max res for yourself aswell, I guess it works on Softcore if you really want to go budget but overall I would recomend the alphas howl.
"
kapoda0 wrote:

I'm just using a random ES chest
currently siting at 2k unreserved life and 6.5k ES with all the auras. My problem with the Victario is that you really need the bonus max res for yourself aswell, I guess it works on Softcore if you really want to go budget but overall I would recomend the alphas howl.

You could be right! though the few times I died were always competence related(bears bears bears!, specifically on waterways) Victario's is still a solid choice imo since it boosts your teammates a total of 14 max res more than the alternatives, also a far better choice if you are doing blasphemy for your team
Added 2 updated item possibilities and some info about the whole dragon jooce suicide thing

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info