RGN vs real crafting

"
I mostly agree with the OP, in that 'crafting' is the wrong term to describe the process in this game. There is no 'craft' in throwing massive amounts of resources at RNG and hoping something nice comes out of it. (I imagine an armourer pounding away at some helmet, but instead of every blow bringing it closer to perfection, every blow randomly changes the item. Some craftsmanship you got there, bro.)

Master crafting helps a bit.

But, I've long since learned to accept it. I simply mentally replace the word 'crafting' where ever I see it with the word 'gambling', and it helps me retain my sanity.
There's a well-adjusted player! May all QQers follow your example.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
PoE requires investment. Getting the items you want requires investment.

And before you say "But I can't invest my time and get the item I want because it's gated behind RNG", just stop and think about it. Any item you want in the game is available via trade. Are you willing to assess the market value of what you want and then save up for it? Or do you just expect to throw some currency at an item and cross your fingers and get what you want?

What degree of investment you want to commit is entirely up to you, but don't expect to get the same result as someone who invests more.

To be honest, however flawed their system is (I don't think it is), I think the item game in PoE is the best the genre has ever seen and has set the bar significantly higher for future ARPGs.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
I mostly agree with the OP, in that 'crafting' is the wrong term to describe the process in this game. There is no 'craft' in throwing massive amounts of resources at RNG and hoping something nice comes out of it. (I imagine an armourer pounding away at some helmet, but instead of every blow bringing it closer to perfection, every blow randomly changes the item. Some craftsmanship you got there, bro.)

Master crafting helps a bit.

But, I've long since learned to accept it. I simply mentally replace the word 'crafting' where ever I see it with the word 'gambling', and it helps me retain my sanity.
There's a well-adjusted player! May all QQers follow your example.

Thanks. I think. 😊
- here's my sig
RNG = content. They can't make enough content to keep ppl playing for more then a week. And RNG provides exactly that, random chance for u to continue playing cause u got unlucky and need to grind more.

Obviously normal humans just leave, like my younger brother who got no Shav drop in 2 weeks and just left saying "this is a grinder for ppl who take games way to serious", now he is enjoying casual game where he spends money on cosmetics and stuff.

PS: Take for example Hearthstone and Magic. PPl are playing HS cause it's 95% rng(topdeck\random battlecries etc etc etc) and it's flashy. U can get lucky or u get super unlucky and loose. Magic, well... yeah.

RNG is a tool that developers use to create gameplay time. Well, at least bad ones do.
-Forever Casual-
IGN: Zzerk
Saying "RNG is a tool for bad game designers" is a lot like saying "first-person shooter is a genre for bad game developers." It might point to an industry trend or some similar, but that doesn't mean there isn't a good way to use RNG for content generation.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
rolling dice = shit for rpgs confirmed
I like how the game is tbh, I have crafted lots of good items and yes failed hard on a lot too. I'm tired of games that just give you everything for free with almost no work. Theres no sense of accomplishment when everything is too easy to get. If I could get everything right away, there would be nothing left to do and why play. Maybe it's jsut not the game for you? Find something you enjoy.
"

You also DO NOT NEED A 6 LINK. NOBODY NEEDS A 6 LINK.

So what? So what if -- for the sake or argument -- "nobody needs a 6 link"? OP wants a piece of gear with a six-link and that is justification enough for him to try to obtain one. Who are you to be telling him what his needs are? Sheesh...
"
Nursamedicus wrote:
I was just curious why this game took the route of random ...truly random effects rather than having control on what mods you can do (in many situations).

This is not an MMORPG
Its ab ARPG. Randomness is a corner stone of the game.
Its like taking first person out of FPS

Don't like it leave it. Realy, you will never be happy here.

edit:
Oh and to all the people leaving after 2 weeks not finding a shavs. Get fucking lost.
This game needs some determination and investment. Something that seems no one wants to have these days. Its al abozt instand gratification, Instant show off. You don't play this game to show off your shavs or your 500k dmg discharger. You play the game for games sake. And if you play it with a Voidhome and a Belly of the Beast and enjoy it you'r doing it right. If you constantly thinking you need this or that T1 item then you don't have a clue about this game.
I look at the wiki and design my chars and if I absolutely need and item i can't afford, I'll substitute it with something else I can afford or simply try to design another char.
I never had a shav. Never looked at all those LL chars as a must have. Last week I found a shavs and I immediately looked at the possible builds I could do with it. It was like finding a 100$ note in a candy shop. All the show offs and instant gratification people will never have this feeling.
"This is a Buff"
-------------------------------
There is an old almost forgotten prophecy, that hell will freeze over.
But we just recently discovered the true cause of this unlikely event:
By the time GGG manage to balance their game.
Last edited by restinpieces0815 on May 29, 2016, 1:52:15 PM
"
It is meant to be a currency sink.

You also DO NOT NEED A 6 LINK. NOBODY NEEDS A 6 LINK.

Nobody ever understands this. A 5 link is necessary for most skills for end game, some can run on 4 link. A 6 link is only necessary if you are hitting really late game t12 maps and even then you can get away with a 5.

You don't want to craft? Buy the item with the appropriate stats.

Some builds (mostly CoC) DO need 6-link. But they can use Tabula Rasa then.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info