[2.4] The Master of Agony - CI / ZO + Tri-Curse Essence Drain / Contagion Trickster

what do you think about dropping vulnerability and taking arctic armour?
as witchfire brew should be used anyways and it grants vuln on use
"
Ghoser wrote:
what do you think about dropping vulnerability and taking arctic armour?
as witchfire brew should be used anyways and it grants vuln on use

I actually did this but am running discipline its nice if you roll a <600 es chest. arctic armor would work well too i suppose and you'd have more mana free.

The witchfire doesnt show up as dps on ED but does increase the dot portion of it pretty significantly i went from 25000k dot dmg to 27500 and that doesn't count the 21 vuln.

Im going to run it for a while but i think its a nice edition to the build.

hob
"
Hey! I've been trying out this build for only my second ever PoE character, and so far I've been enjoying it a fair bit. Definitely seems to have a lot of survivability. I've got some questions regarding my character though: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Insurrectionist/characters

First off, is Path of the Savant really worth picking up over, say, Jewel sockets or even just pathing from Deep Wisdom down towards the Witch starting area, like I've seen some other ED builds do? I picked it up before I got my Veil and had to respec for a third curse, and I was honestly quite unimpressed with PotS - plus on paper it looks kinda weak. Obviously I'm not super familiar with the game mechanics/calculations though.

Second, my ED dot just barely crossed 20k dps and I'm kinda wondering what I should do now to up it. Is it just a matter of getting a 21 ED and higher level Empower? I doubt I'll get enough levels to fit more jewels in, and while I'd love to grab some spell-damage on my shield, I'm not nearly rich enough to get one with decent ES, the resists I need to get capped AND spell-damage. I really feel like my damage has stagnated a lot, even upgrading my gems from 0 to 20% quality only added about 3.5k dps and other than that my damage basically hasn't changed since four - five days into the league. Compared to my Arc Witch last season which just kept rocketing up in dps at a steady rate and it's taking some getting used to.

At this point I'm just trying to get more Woes to manage an actually decent-rolled 6L instead of the abomination I'm currently wearing (I've used about 25 Shrieking so far and not gotten a single decent result, kinda regretting my decision to commit to Essence crafting this league...) and beyond that, general improvements to my other rares. I feel like my survivability is already good and it's very obvious how to improve it (dat armor mainly but all four rares could use improvement in the ES department). Any advice on general building and what I should focus on next for improving my damage would be very helpful.

Path of the Savant comes with 20 int, 20 mana and 16% spell damage. Since the routing to it provides 18% extra energy shield (and 20 int is 4% extra ES), we have 22% ES, 16% spell damage and 30 base mana for 4 points spent. Taking, let's say, the 4 points towards the witch start, provides 38% ES, 10% recharge, no mana and no damage. It's a matter of choice, if you feel you are lacking survivability that extra 16% ES can be handy, if you want some more mana and a little extra damage path of the savant is still good to have.

As to damage, ED scales a lot with gem level, so having lvl 21/20 ED and 4 Empower (and all the supports 20/20 or 21/20) makes a big difference.

You are also missing 3 chaos damage nodes at the shadow start (you took 3 attack speed nodes instead).

With a good gear (including a possible crafted ring with the essence chaos damage mod), a better shield, gems and that little tweak to the passive tree, reaching 35k+ ED damage on the dot component should be possible.

And obviously, if you get some more levels, jewel sockets can help with both damage and ES.

Witchfire Brew is a very good flask for this build, if you manage to have a good uptime you can drop vulnerability and try to use AA or Discipline if you need that extra survivability.
Thanks for the tips, I suspected it would just be down to gem levels for the most part, but it's nice to get it confirmed. And I can't believe I missed that bad pathing at the start all this time, not too surprising in the stress of a new league start but it's been many hours since then. Guess it shows how unfamiliar I still am with the grid, haha. Good thing you caught it.
My damage is 7.8k - I am clearly doing something wrong.
I only have a level 2 Empower, a 20/20 ED, and no spell dam on shield - is that really enough to lower the dps by so much?
What else am I missing that would make me reach that 20k?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
"
sikker wrote:
My damage is 7.8k - I am clearly doing something wrong.
I only have a level 2 Empower, a 20/20 ED, and no spell dam on shield - is that really enough to lower the dps by so much?
What else am I missing that would make me reach that 20k?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The difference between a 20/20 ED + Empower 2 and a 21/20 ED + Empower 4 is about 36.6% damage on the over time portion of the skill. So it's pretty large.

Spell damage on shield is another thing to consider. It can go up to 90%+ if you get a good shield.
"
djnat wrote:

The difference between a 20/20 ED + Empower 2 and a 21/20 ED + Empower 4 is about 36.6% damage on the over time portion of the skill. So it's pretty large.

So that would raise my 7.8k to 10,6k.

"
djnat wrote:

Spell damage on shield is another thing to consider. It can go up to 90%+ if you get a good shield.

My 38% projectile damage give me around 500dps. Realistically I could perhaps get around twice that as spell damage on a shield (considering what I can afford and without sacrificing too much ES). So my 7.8k goes to 8.8k and then with the 36.6% I'd end up at 12k.
That is still a VERY long way away from the 20k that was discussed above. So what am I missing?
There are two components in ED damage. Maybe there is a bit of confusion on this matter.

Look at my 2.3 damage screenshot.

The first component is the istant damage of the bullet, which is factored in the skill tooltip (14138.7 in the screenshot).

The second component is the subsequent chaos damage over time which occurs after the bullet hits. This is the DPS we usually refer to (39931.7 in the screenshot) when evaluating the clearspeed potential.

There is the poison component too, which scales basing on the initial istant damage of the bullet, and stacks. It's not factored in the tooltip.

I think that the 20k which was discussed above was referred to the damage over time component of ED and not to the bullet DPS.
So i hit 92, feeling pretty good about the character, worried bout the poison immune guardians and how much the shaper is curse resistant.

Currently 115/125 on the atlas.

Then i landed blade vortex duration on my heretics and instantly sold it for 6 ex. So now with no helm, im questioning my entire setup, is poison worth it should i check out the Essence of delirium on a dagger or the +1 bow stuff.

Basically this build as is, works great for everything up through t15 maps and 2/4 guardians, the 2 poison immune guardians are just horrible because without poison your single target is pretty bad, maybe doable but they would take much longer.

So im thinking of going 6l crude bow with +1 skills and the delirium essence or maybe even trying just a delirium dagger swap for poison immune bosses.

anyone else trying guardians and shaper with this ED build yet?

Hob
Last edited by Hobben on Sep 24, 2016, 5:47:51 PM
The Shaper is not immune to poison. His resistance to curses should be like the one of other bosses (i.e. 60% less curse efficiency against him).

He is shock immune, btw, and this means that our Vaal Lightning Trap is not going to do anything against him.

The two guardians (Hydra and Chimera) are poison immune but not shock immune. They should be doable, longer to kill but doable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info