Concerns about Scion balance after 2.3

"
sidtherat wrote:

i saw few trees that used 'start as another class' trick and these saved roughly ~10 passives.

Do you happen to have a link or some pointers to the guides that used this? I'd be more than happy to admit that my assessment is wrong, if someone can show me a viable** build in which this "trick" is that effective, without the build becoming strictly more powerful by starting as another class with 8 Ascendancy points.

**) Interpretation here is difficult, but you get my drift.
Last edited by acme_myst on May 26, 2016, 4:58:50 AM
"
DrGoatMD wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:
We do not know yet how the ascendancy and tree balance will be done .....
Speculating without having those information ( which we won't have ) will go nowhere honestly.
Let's wait for Prophecy, and then the discussion will have a meaning.

The new tree's been released.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1665252 The raw skill data's here, and PoESkilltree now has a version that uses it.

Oh thank you, did not know , my bad about that.
Still subject to change though
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
DrGoatMD wrote:
It saves you fifteen skill points, assuming you wouldn't get a single other thing on the way or near it that you'd want anyway.

That assumption is a bit tall, in the best case scenario you'd save that much, but since they announced this change I've been planning my Scion builds with that in mind and it tends to save me something in the neighborhood of 6-8 points on average.

Which isn't bad at all, mind you, and I'm pretty happy with it, it's just that you will need the absolute best case scenario for 15 and that's also fine as 15 points is quite a lot.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Yeah, I was specifically trying to find the most drastic case and it's still not exactly great compared to boomerang arrows or 20% culling strike.
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
ES Scion that doesn't need to path all the way to Witch start to get those ES nodes seems pretty good.
It takes only 6 skill points to travel to witch ES area from scion ES area. With Melding cluster and PA on the way.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
acme_myst wrote:
I have some concerns about Scion balance, due to the 2.3 introduction of a map-level Labyrinth and the new +2 Ascendancy points that come with it. Specifically, about the relative balance between Scion and any of the other classes.

The point of going Scion/Ascendant is, essentially, that you forego raw power of the Ascendancy bonuses, in exchange for utility/flexibility. Therefore, in order to make this choice worth it, the power-loss/flexibility-gain ratio has to be worth it.

The major difference between the Ascendent tree and the other classes' trees is that the Ascendant needs 3 points to unlock any powerful bonus; the other trees get notables every 2 points. Hence, the Ascendant previously gave up on 3 "full-power" Ascendancy notables, in exchange for 2 "mini-ascendancies". This was, in some cases, worth it.

After the 2.3 update, the Ascendant will be missing out on 4 of these "full-power" notables, but without gaining an additional "mini-ascendancy". What's worse, there is typically some power-difference within the other classes' Ascendancy notables, with the most powerful ones taking 4 points to reach. Where the Ascendant previously gave up on one of these, it must now effectively give up on two of them.

For the Ascendant, in contrast, the extra points unlock either two passives points, one passive and an attribute node, or one passive and the option to start from another point in the tree. In short, I do not believe that these bonuses will outweigh the power-loss relative to the other options available.

This effect is exacerbated by the Ascendant's "mini-ascendancy" re-balance in 2.3; some of the more powerful nodes have been nerfed, but very few of the weaker ones have been buffed.

My concern is that this overall re-balance (and introduction of additional Ascendancy points) will change the Ascendant from an interesting theory-crafter class that is optimal in some niche/min-maxed cases, to what is effectively a "noob-trap" class that will be avoided by "serious" players.

The only two realistic suggestions I have for fixing this, is to either buff all (or, most) of the "mini-ascendancies", or to give the Ascendant 3 Ascendancy points upon completing the map-level Labyrinth.

Of course, this is all theoretical, and GGG likely has a much finer grasp of how these changes affect the between-class balance. Still, I wanted to put these concerns out there to give my perspective on why I think these changes might negatively affect class-diversity and the viability of one of the more interesting classes in the game.

Since Ascendancy dropped I played Scion on 1 character with a very specific build which won't be ruined by the 2.3.0 changes ( and will be 100% viable and unchanged for racing in the new leagues ) , so I don't really share everyones opinion that the class will be " bad " " underpowered " or " terrible " .

Every other ascendancy looks really tasty when it comes to 2.3.0 but wasn't this the point of these changes anyways ? :)
R.I.P 4.B.
Last edited by tryhardgg on May 26, 2016, 5:35:14 AM
the last node to start from a new character is completely useless

now scion is weaker than other classes
Even when Ascendancy first came out, there is really only 1 build for Scion compared to other classes, which was the fairly obvious Spark build, since Deadeye had everything that you would want to use Spark with and Spark got buffed.

But now? There is almost no reason to use Scion. Other classes have too much good stuff. And with the incoming monster skills, the damage that monsters do are going to be really high.
"
Starxsword wrote:
Even when Ascendancy first came out, there is really only 1 build for Scion compared to other classes, which was the fairly obvious Spark build

Not quite; lowlife attack builds like KB wander and ST were also really good with it. Generic caster builds also benefitted greatly from the global leech from the Berserker mini-ascendancy. Agree with your overall sentiment though.
That's a load of bullshit. Nerf the leech down to 1%, fine, but after you kill? Well that node is 100% useless now for many bosses. Tiny little damage buff and taking more damage in the process. Seriously wtf, a node that actually harms you more than it does good in a serious situation.

Now the ascendant is mostly a joke meant for a few specific builds all the while the horizon is wide and bright for the others.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info