The CRYENGINE is now 100% royalty-free

But cry engine given by amazon has an obligation, to include a way to stream on TWITCH specifically.

Wait PoE has this feature.

So

PoE uses cry engine?!!!
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
"
Nuro wrote:
A lot of time and money for no to marginal benefits. I don't see this ever happening.

This.
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
"
Arrowneous wrote:

Also been said many times that the 3D models of everything are in the PoE engine format and thus all the many thousands of them would need to be reworked and tested. A Mount Everest tall task of the greatest magnitude that would take 2.5 to 3 years or more and GGG can't just halt new content development for ever a few months let alone multiple years.

Nope.
Converting 3D models from one format to another is generally a pretty easy task, especially on a videogame level of detail and precision. You got your vertices, triangles, UV coordinates, maybe some added skeletal information for the animation process....like every other format.
Leave it as it is. CryEngine is a needy engine on its own. GGG needs to cater to people with weaker PCs, not the other way around.
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
To answer a few comments, yeah...prety sure myself that GGG have in the past said that the game engine is built by them.
They have commented on the expense of adding proper linux support, something they were not intending to do due to the cost, and it only effecting such a small portion of the community which may or may not have paid anything to the game.

Using the cry engine however is something that would benefit everyone, it may even pull in new players.

Also, as someone tried to claim that the cry engine is not aimed at ARPGs

Remember or heard of Umbra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz-xunEI1X0

Would be easy enough for them to demo it, just one area, maybe one character a few skills and supports and a small pool of gear and 1 boss fight,

yup, i remember umbra, it has had a name change to Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem and is currently in alpha. which I am in and even in this state, it looks great!
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

Looking at some of the posts here, I always thought PoE was the cry-engine. :D
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
"
lagwin1980 wrote:

Looking at some of the posts here, I always thought PoE was the cry-engine. :D

lol...i see what you did there :P
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Using an engine like Cry engine, unreal or another is good when you start your project but for a game in production it will take too long to learn and use tne new engine .

And maybe cry engine is not a good option for Poe.

With own engine GGG could developp whatever they want , just enhance their engine if needed.

With tiers engine sometimes you discover, sometimes late, that you can't do what you want ...
"
Perq wrote:
"
Nuro wrote:
A lot of time and money for no to marginal benefits. I don't see this ever happening.

MARGINAL benefits. Are you using NASA computer to run PoE? Have you ever seen the amount of FPS drops this engine generates? :V

PoE's engine is one of the things that is keeping PoE behind. Game doesn't look great (doesn't mean it looks bad, tho), yet have major FPS drops, not to mention horrendous loading times.

They are improving it over time, yes, but it takes time and money. Isn't it ramming an open door?

If you're OK with no updates for the next 4 years - and think the playerbase and market presence will still remain intact - then maybe you should fund the costs. There aren't any good reasons to throw out a decade of work in order to spend another half-decade making the same thing, when that time could be spent improving what exists and adding more.

That said: there isn't even a given that a game will run well just because it's on a big-name engine.
"
Nuro wrote:
"
Perq wrote:
"
Nuro wrote:

MARGINAL benefits. Are you using NASA computer to run PoE? Have you ever seen the amount of FPS drops this engine generates? :V

PoE's engine is one of the things that is keeping PoE behind. Game doesn't look great (doesn't mean it looks bad, tho), yet have major FPS drops, not to mention horrendous loading times.

They are improving it over time, yes, but it takes time and money. Isn't it ramming an open door?

If you're OK with no updates for the next 4 years - and think the playerbase and market presence will still remain intact - then maybe you should fund the costs. There aren't any good reasons to throw out a decade of work in order to spend another half-decade making the same thing, when that time could be spent improving what exists and adding more.

That said: there isn't even a given that a game will run well just because it's on a big-name engine.

I think that the estimated times for porting are greatly exaggerated, sure it will take time, but lets not forget that Lockstep was sprung on us at fairly short notice and that the amount of time spend on it was comparatively short(and it was a huge shift in the game)

if the CRYENGINE is viable it wouldn't take to long, and if announced i'm pretty sure that GGG could garner support via packs sales to subsidise it.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on May 25, 2016, 12:00:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info