The CRYENGINE is now 100% royalty-free

I am beginning to doubt the perspective... that ggg has something to learn.

I think they have a lot to teach.

"
zSavage wrote:
"
TriniGamer wrote:
Sadly GGG cannot port POE to cry engine. We aren't even sure what language POE uses. The insane amount of work required to port POE to another Engine isn't worth it as far as GGG is concerned.

PoE is written in C++. Been said multiple times by the devs.

Also been said many times that the 3D models of everything are in the PoE engine format and thus all the many thousands of them would need to be reworked and tested. A Mount Everest tall task of the greatest magnitude that would take 2.5 to 3 years or more and GGG can't just halt new content development for ever a few months let alone multiple years. Without new content every few months the player base would dry up, and without mtx GGG is history and we'd get nothing new. So for better or worse GGG is stuck with their own PoE game engine and can only make incremental core performance improvements not throw it all out and retool with a commercial higher quality engine.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
I read somewhere one of the devs said it would take them 5 years for the current team (60+ people) to tranfer POE to another engine, so that's a big deal.
I like the curent engine for PoE alot.

I will say that cryengine is actualy really good for top down games , it's not just for FPS
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
To answer a few comments, yeah...prety sure myself that GGG have in the past said that the game engine is built by them.
They have commented on the expense of adding proper linux support, something they were not intending to do due to the cost, and it only effecting such a small portion of the community which may or may not have paid anything to the game.

Using the cry engine however is something that would benefit everyone, it may even pull in new players.

Also, as someone tried to claim that the cry engine is not aimed at ARPGs

Remember or heard of Umbra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz-xunEI1X0

Would be easy enough for them to demo it, just one area, maybe one character a few skills and supports and a small pool of gear and 1 boss fight,
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on May 25, 2016, 1:59:18 AM
"
Nuro wrote:
A lot of time and money for no to marginal benefits. I don't see this ever happening.

MARGINAL benefits. Are you using NASA computer to run PoE? Have you ever seen the amount of FPS drops this engine generates? :V

PoE's engine is one of the things that is keeping PoE behind. Game doesn't look great (doesn't mean it looks bad, tho), yet have major FPS drops, not to mention horrendous loading times.

They are improving it over time, yes, but it takes time and money. Isn't it ramming an open door?
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
As much as I would like to play PoE on an optimized modern engine, with the size of GGG and their goals of pushing out annual expansions and semi-annual challenge leagues it's simply not feasible.

If they suspend content development and focus solely on porting PoE to cryengine, it would take years and the game will be a ghost town when they're back.
Last edited by AridZephyr on May 25, 2016, 3:29:26 AM
Though you make it sound simple doing something like this for a game this size would be a massive undertaking and is just not realistic.

Also, it is probably not worth it. If they wanted to use a third party engine something more general like the Unreal engine would be better.

Unreal engine for PoE2 may be a good idea though :P
"
Chalcon wrote:
Though you make it sound simple doing something like this for a game this size would be a massive undertaking and is just not realistic.

Also, it is probably not worth it. If they wanted to use a third party engine something more general like the Unreal engine would be better.

Unreal engine for PoE2 may be a good idea though :P

Unreal is costly though because of royalties.

At any rate i didn't say it was simple(unless you glanced at the comment talking about maybe doing a 1 level demo), there would be a load of work to do for it.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
Perq wrote:
"
Nuro wrote:
A lot of time and money for no to marginal benefits. I don't see this ever happening.

MARGINAL benefits. Are you using NASA computer to run PoE? Have you ever seen the amount of FPS drops this engine generates? :V

PoE's engine is one of the things that is keeping PoE behind. Game doesn't look great (doesn't mean it looks bad, tho), yet have major FPS drops, not to mention horrendous loading times.

They are improving it over time, yes, but it takes time and money. Isn't it ramming an open door?

far less time and money than porting to an entirely new engine.

This isn't Tiny Tim's Tale written in RPGMaker

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info