The CRYENGINE is now 100% royalty-free

I know it's been talked about before, using another game engine but the biggest detractor has always been the cost, even some of the "free" ones demanding royalties on anything your game earned.

Now Crytek seemed to have gone the way of PoE and only asking that if you like it you contribute to ongoing development, hell they are even allowing you to set an amount that is contributed to an indie dev fund.

Could GGG manage to port the game to the CRYENGINE? how easy or hard would it be?
Would also provide multi platform support.

Source https://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last bumped on May 25, 2016, 6:24:18 PM
Sadly GGG cannot port POE to cry engine. We aren't even sure what language POE uses. The insane amount of work required to port POE to another Engine isn't worth it as far as GGG is concerned.

GGG can't even get animations right on characters, do you see how stiff main characters look when running fast? poor stride lengths etc. Thats not a Engine limitation but failure on the GGG animators and no Engine is going to fix this. Look at D3 thats how graphics and animations are actually done. Want better? Lost Ark the Korean ARPG now thats how insane crazy godly animations are gone.

And you want them to port this game to Cry Engine? maybe when POE 2 comes around in 15 years. I expect POE to last approx 15 years minimum like all F2P games.

Perhaps by then they would be able to afford Korean animators etc.

Not to mention the amount of idiots running this game on low end laptops Cry Engine is strictly out of the question. Because if GGG did manage to do it, 80% of the POE population running netbooks would disappear. Just look at youtube videos of people doing builds running at 1 fps.
Look how Awesome my MTX Marauder RF looks

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695395
Last edited by TriniGamer on May 24, 2016, 7:37:18 PM
"
TriniGamer wrote:
Sadly GGG cannot port POE to cry engine. We aren't even sure what language POE uses. The insane amount of work required to port POE to another Engine isn't worth it as far as GGG is concerned.

PoE is written in C++. Been said multiple times by the devs.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
I know it's been talked about before, using another game engine but the biggest detractor has always been the cost, even some of the "free" ones demanding royalties on anything your game earned.

Now Crytek seemed to have gone the way of PoE and only asking that if you like it you contribute to ongoing development, hell they are even allowing you to set an amount that is contributed to an indie dev fund.

Could GGG manage to port the game to the CRYENGINE? how easy or hard would it be?
Would also provide multi platform support.

Source https://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine

If i remember correctly what i read somewhere i do believe GGG have POE on its very own Engine they developed themselves. Dont hold me to that because i could be mistaken and it USED to be that way but im pretty sure thats the case. So im not very sure how hard it would be to port it over to a different engine. I guess it would have alot to do with the way the Engine they use now works or something.

I also want to say ive read somewhere that POE is programed in C++ as well so thats pretty common i think so it might not be that hard. I guess would all be just a matter of how much effort it would be to do it and how worth it it would be in doing so. How much better the game would run on the Cry Engine over the one it runs on now that they have worked on for so long. they have come a long way with this Engine after all. (if it is indeed the same self made engine they use) Never hurts to look at options though.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on May 24, 2016, 8:50:55 PM
LOL they have their own engine ....

and porting engines isnt really a thing ...
maybe for poe 2

... and cryengine is more for fps games
Last edited by CaoMengde on May 24, 2016, 8:54:58 PM
"
CaoMengde wrote:
LOL they have their own engine ....

Thats what i thought i read but i wasnt sure if that was back when it was first being made and changed at some point or is still the case.

Not to mention after looking at the site it looks like even though it SAYS Royalty Free theres still something going to be in it for them. They will have to get something especially if you used the engine for a game like this that is established and making profits. I would think anyway. Nothing is ever free. Im almost sure theres some fine print somewhere that means they will get something.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on May 24, 2016, 8:56:22 PM
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 7:40:46 PM
Cry engine, sounds worthy of GGG's utility i reckon.

A powerful tool to feed the overlords at the office.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GGG TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
A lot of time and money for no to marginal benefits. I don't see this ever happening.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info