Just watched the latest Game of Thrones episode...

"
Bars wrote:

So, season 6 is watchable? Season 5 bored me and I stopped watching the show by its third or fourth episode.

Only if you don't take the show as seriously as it takes itself. The writing is full on regular tv levels of mediocrity and the cast is being reduced by the episode. Remember how dumb and pointless the Dorne arc was in season 5? That's the entire show more or less.
"
pneuma wrote:
It's pretty cool so far. Some big reveals already, and the show is ahead of the book, so there's no chance of getting spoiled (aside from, y'know, being on the internet in threads called "just watched the latest GoT...").

Skip everything in Dorne and virtually everything in Essos and you have ~3eps of compressed goodness. They've been focusing heavily on activities around the north (The Wall, Winterfell) and a little about King's Landing and a little about Pyke.

Thanks for the info. About the spoilers - I don't mind that much :)

"
Kjaska wrote:

Only if you don't take the show as seriously as it takes itself. The writing is full on regular tv levels of mediocrity and the cast is being reduced by the episode. Remember how dumb and pointless the Dorne arc was in season 5? That's the entire show more or less.

I didn't even reach the Dorne part in season 5, just the beginning of it.

I don't have anything to watch lately and my books are running out, so I might give it another try - my standards are going to be pretty damn low by Wednesday - Thursday, then the new league starts and I'm set :)
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 30, 2016, 5:37:40 AM
"
Kjaska wrote:

Only if you don't take the show as seriously as it takes itself. The writing is full on regular tv levels of mediocrity and the cast is being reduced by the episode.

Remember how dumb and pointless the Dorne arc was in season 5?

Actually, the arcs like the dorne are a prime example of how it breaks the mold of regular tv. Predictably of tv is the result of unoriginal formulaic writing. With the dorne arc we are set up to expect something, but they threw a curveball instead... Defying expectations makes things interesting.

Furthermore, GoT episodes actually impact the whole of the story line, unlike the traditional self contained episodic formula of regular tv. Killing primary characters?! Has any other show done that except in response to the quitting of the actor?

In both tv and movies, we can predict with almost certainty that the initial hero will win, with a slight possibility they sacrifice themselves at the end. There is zero percent chance the hero will be shot to death on his assault of the villains lair by the first guard who was given no character development. Because it is all so fucking predictable it is also boring as fuck. Writers are to stupid to realize it. They are too bound to tradition to even think to look beyond the formulas already established.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"HOLD THE DOOR!!" "HOLD THE DOOR" I laughed too while the boyfriend stared angrily at me.. it was touching in a hilarious sort of way.
POE is life. POE is ♥.
you are a terrible person

p.s. RUN, ARYA, RUN!
Last edited by Darkfyre on Jun 2, 2016, 1:09:19 PM
No offence but I find it a bit silly to evaluate the characters in a fictional TV show. Take note that the politics in GOT are so dark that any of us here inserted into the realm might be hated more than anyone else in the show.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info