I don't understand how Talisman in the core game would have been bad

I mean, not exactly like it was in the league, but with the usual watered-down encounter rates (maybe 30% of what they were in the league) combined with only requiring 3 talismans at altars instead of 5 it would have been fine.

And removing white talismans outright (and probably making rares show up more frequently than they did... like 1 rare for every 2 magics) would make it feel more satisfying even with watered-down rates... you may not find them as often, but at least you can rest assured that when you do there won't be any useless whites dropping.

Maybe make altars only spawn (100% of the time) in certain instances in the acts (like dried lake and ledge/climb) and nowhere else in acts, just to cut out the useless altars elsewhere (really, did anyone actually *use* altars in the acts besides ledge and dried lake?). Make maps in general still have a chance too, just cuz that offers a chance at forcing some leveled mobs to spawn.

Idk, seems like it would be simple enough to retain it while allowing it to still feel meaningful with the reduced encounter rates. Ofc, I'm also a little biased since I too thought that was a good league mechanic (once you get past the level of grind it required, which could easily be tweaked around before going core), and I rather enjoy the Rigwald fight and his uniques. But still, biased around wanting it or not, I don't think it would've been bad to add it at all.
Last edited by Shppy on May 23, 2016, 3:56:33 PM
Last bumped on May 24, 2016, 9:32:31 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
when there is fun, GGG is surely against it.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
"
Rupenus wrote:

As satiric as that is, it seems to be true much of the time. I think they have a very different idea of fun than many of us do. If we hate something, they keep it in, if we love it, they pull it, I don't get it.
I really liked Talisman to be honest, and it could seriously be implemented in the core game so easily even as it was.

Chris talked about talisman in the podcast the other day, and he admitted too that he and the staff found Talisman one of the most fun and successful leagues both design wise and player retention-wise. He also mentioned that the core game is quite clustered at them moment with various mechanics and there might be some time in the near or far away future when they consider implementing it in the core, its almost a guarantee that it would be a zana mod at least.

A watered down version of it could still offer some fun and excitement to the players, and the occasional "oh wow" talisman without flooding the market with OP items. Rigwald would be even harder to summon/kill then but it wouldnt be an issue, since he is optional in nature. One can only hope i guess.

EDIT : Its even more surprising why they didnt implement it when in the recent flashback vote thingy Talisman was the 3rd most popular choice. Thats even more frustrating when you realise that the recent flashback didnt even contain Talisman (neither tempest)
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
Last edited by Regulator on May 23, 2016, 4:50:45 PM
They just need time to tweak it before they add it to the game. GGG would be adding it with the vision that their game is going to be here for a while, so why rush it? Granted when they introduced Strongboxes in Ambush and added it straight to the core game after it ended cause boxes are easily balanced but Talisman takes a bit more thought due to the nature of the mechanics. I suppose they are going to give it the same treatment as Torment, put it in development limbo until it was ready which iirc was a one league gap from Torment ending to introduction to the core game.
Recruiting for Archnemesis League/Siege of the Atlas!
Umbra Exiles:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3244875
The Official Path of Exile Guild Directory:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1192567
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 7:35:50 PM
"
I think they have a very different idea of fun than many of us do. If we hate something, they keep it in, if we love it, they pull it, I don't get it.

What do you think an ox is getting more of, carrot or the stick? It's the key to a long and healthy relationship, even dumb machines figured that one out when first matrix project failed :)

On the topic, I also liked Talisman but I think it's potentially dangerous, especially in perma. If you have it in the game at some point they start to replace normal amulets, in temps we'd have the top 20% wearing them but in perma it would eventually go all the way down.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
"
"
Rupenus wrote:

As satiric as that is, it seems to be true much of the time. I think they have a very different idea of fun than many of us do. If we hate something, they keep it in, if we love it, they pull it, I don't get it.

I think if you try to lump all of the playerbase into some amorphous 'we' you start to realize that you have people that either love or hate any given feature you can think of.

Did you see in the podcast where they said internally they thought Talisman was their best league yet? I think the negative feedback, particularly on these forums influenced them into shuttering this mechanic. I loved Talisman, I laughed at the onslaught of negative feedback and told myself that we would see it in the base game without a doubt, but here we are.

don't think they care much about what we brainfart here. they check player statistics about every league and decide what to do.

"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
Last edited by Rupenus on May 23, 2016, 5:15:21 PM
I liked talisman a lot :D

its coolness justified only the one league mod unlike the lame thing that is perandus :(
"
biyte wrote:
I liked talisman a lot :D

its coolness justified only the one league mod unlike the lame thing that is perandus :(

Talismans aside, it certainly had its moments. I mean, how often do you get to kill a werewolf in this game? Not much more often than you get to kill a dragon.

Well, that's an idea for another league. The 'slayer' league where you're fated to obtain a powerful magical talisman, kill a dragon and steal his hoard of perandus coins.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info