Should I wait or should I go ? (bootcamp my Mac with Windows for PoE)

Hi everyone.

First of all, I want to thank Julus for his great work of making PoE run under mac with a wrapper (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708). It's been great, and i've played hours like that.
But, the wrapper has some limitations, due to the coding of PoE (from my understanding), and huge lag spikes occurs when there is too much particulars effects.

So, I was ready to install Windows of my Mac, with the help of bootcamp.

But, with the upcoming release of Prophecy, I saw in the patch note that the game will handle memory differently.

Then, my question is very simple, very straight, and goes to the devs, and thoses who have tested the Prophecy patch : Does this new way of handling memory will finally make PoE REALLY PLAYABLE under Mac OS X with a WINE WRAPPER ? Or not, and then I should go through this Windows install right now ?
Standard : BratalUss
Last bumped on May 23, 2016, 6:14:49 PM
I'm a mac user since more than 10 years and to be honest, the only way to correctly play a windows game on mac is bootcamp. Everything else is counter productive ESPECIALLY with games not really optimized like PoE.
"
Zemel wrote:

But, with the upcoming release of Prophecy, I saw in the patch note that the game will handle memory differently.

Then, my question is very simple, very straight, and goes to the devs, and thoses who have tested the Prophecy patch : Does this new way of handling memory will finally make PoE REALLY PLAYABLE under Mac OS X with a WINE WRAPPER ? Or not, and then I should go through this Windows install right now ?

It most likely still won't be perfect. It might be better, but it won't be perfect. You can wait and see how it handles, it might work well enough for you. If it still doesn't work well after Prophecy, then Bootcamp it.
KMGL Guild: /3193350
twitch.tv/AethrozTV
WINE is and always was trash. Nothing under it ever worked as intended and always ran like crap. The performance difference between it and Bootcamp is staggering.
Deliver pain exquisite
When I first started playing PoE using a Mac it was unbearable using the Wine wrapper. Personally, the only strong solution I would suggest is making your Mac a Hackintosh. Yes, it will screw with your "warranty" or if you have issues with it, you'd have to put back all the parts to make it appear like it hasn't been tampered with. These issues are very simple to deal with if you're familiar with Mac builds.

My recommendation is, you put in a Flashed Graphics Card or a graphics card that works with the current Mac Operating system. Then make it duo-boot like you're suggesting. You can run two operating systems off of your computer and swap back and forth for work.

I've done it for years and PoE has zero lag issues other than what others were using. At the time whe I did this I was doing two Crossfire Twin Frozr's. Currently, I just built a Windows PC specifically for PoE and other online games and have my other Mac's for work.

I hope this helps.
Buy a computer. Keep mac for those coffee shop visits.
I bootcamp PoE on my mac. It's worth it. I had some weird perofrmance because I had a stick of RAM that was dying, but since I've gotten rid of the bad it ram its back to playing pretty well.

Mac's Suck. and I hate mine..
"
Beaviz wrote:

Macs are actually amazingly reliable for work, I'm a film editor and I'm never scared of some random weird crash that you often get on windows. The fact that the rigs diversity is pretty low allow (good) developer to make great reliable software for those.

They are also time proof, I'm still using a macbook pro I bought almost 10 FREAKING YEARS ago for web browsing, lite gaming and movie watching (granted I upgraded his ram from 4go to 6go and added a SSD).

The only real way to game on mac without using bootcamp is probably to use some virtualisation software like Parralels but you'll need a pretty serious config to do that.

"
IceDeal wrote:
"
Beaviz wrote:

Macs are actually amazingly reliable for work, I'm a film editor and I'm never scared of some random weird crash that you often get on windows. The fact that the rigs diversity is pretty low allow (good) developer to make great reliable software for those.

They are also time proof, I'm still using a macbook pro I bought almost 10 FREAKING YEARS ago for web browsing, lite gaming and movie watching (granted I upgraded his ram from 4go to 6go and added a SSD).

I'm a movie / video editor too, and I support this comment ! It's just impossible to work video editing on windows if you want to be professional (aka your computer always works fine and you can handle every single kind of video codec).

Anyway, thank you everyone for your answers, you convinced me, i'm going to put the worm in the apple... :) (I'll make a TimeCapsule first ;p )
Standard : BratalUss
"
elem3ntality wrote:
When I first started playing PoE using a Mac it was unbearable using the Wine wrapper. Personally, the only strong solution I would suggest is making your Mac a Hackintosh. Yes, it will screw with your "warranty" or if you have issues with it, you'd have to put back all the parts to make it appear like it hasn't been tampered with. These issues are very simple to deal with if you're familiar with Mac builds.

My recommendation is, you put in a Flashed Graphics Card or a graphics card that works with the current Mac Operating system. Then make it duo-boot like you're suggesting. You can run two operating systems off of your computer and swap back and forth for work.

I've done it for years and PoE has zero lag issues other than what others were using. At the time whe I did this I was doing two Crossfire Twin Frozr's. Currently, I just built a Windows PC specifically for PoE and other online games and have my other Mac's for work.

I hope this helps.

1. A Hackintosh is a PC made to run Mac OS X. It is also against Apple's EULA and grounds for legal action. Apple's licensing does not cover running their OS on a PC. And if you do so, you are basically stealing it. Moreover, OS X does not net you anything above Windows when it comes to gaming. In fact, you'd likely see worse frame rates if anything because 90% of game developers optimize for PC before all else. OS X is still very much an afterthought when it comes to gaming.

2. Replacing components in your Mac does not void it's warranty.

3. Most Macs within the past 5 years all have proprietary components and connectors making after market upgrades nigh impossible. You can't replace the GPU in a Mac mini for example.

4. Flashed GPU. Kappa.
Deliver pain exquisite

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info