Chris Wilson on PoE in 2013 and 2016

Perhaps seeing things from GGG's perspective might partially explain things...
Spoiler
2013: keep those large bags of tart green apples coming!
2015: everything hits too hard and I can't endlessly sustain t15s
2016: the fuck is this, Prince of Froggio Brothers?

... although if the choice is to give up on us or give up on their dream, I'm still not sure keeping us is the right choice.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 25, 2016, 11:46:57 AM
PoE was used to be GGG's quote "We made the game, We wanted to play"
Now it is "We made the game, You wanted to play"

This quote is pretty old since the CB days back in 2011, even 2010 if my memory recalls. For years now they left that hardcore path cause many NEW players were coming to check out PoE!

This thing has an impact to a company and has to decide what to do in the future:

-Hard game = Few HC only players = low profits from the F2P/microtransaction model = low growth of company and low rate of patches and expansions.

-Easy/Medium game with learning curve and QoL solutions/options = All kinds of players = big profits from the F2P/microtransaction model = faster growth of company with patches and expansions.

The first one is destined to stay low as a company with a few people running it, which it can maybe lead in leaving the project unfinished. But it would stay True to its beliefs and what they had in mind from the beginning of their project. That for me has more importance than to sellout their own product for the masses!
While the second model is pretty much a sellout as i told above, cause they left of their original path of how it was suppossed to be the game.

All of these, are coming from my experience with the game since i started playing in August of 2011 CB days, till today.

Also this was from a news post whith this subject: Answers to your Questions!

"

Will this game be hard again, like in the old times?

Chris: We feel that there are places for it to be hard, and maybe it needs to be harder in those places, but hard everywhere was pretty fatiguing.

Beta Member Since 2010
Well i remember times when Chris brought to te table stats about "how the game is difficult because people are not progressing past act 1 or less"... What he didnt think about was that:

"For vast majority of players that DID try to play PoE the game was just BORING and thats why most of them stopped with progression..."

So instead of actually making the game challenging for the people that liked the game as it WAS. Its time to change it into something LoL community would consider as a good game worth of buyin MTXs...

Thx god there is an option to turn off chats because when this wave will hit PoE, it will hit hard...
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
Last edited by eragon1111 on May 25, 2016, 12:00:15 PM
They gave up on making the game they want to play and have went the path of making the game they'd like to watch others play.
Feel free to send a game design document to GGG with your wishes and expectations about PoE and what it should be.
Hf :)
"
Heli0nix wrote:
Feel free to send a game design document to GGG with your wishes and expectations about PoE and what it should be.

I did but for some reason they didn't follow my dank recommendations.

It's... almost like I have zero control over how someone else makes their game. :suspicious:
But why can't we have both? I see why they make the game simpler, but just give us some kind of difficulty slider like most games have. Challenges to hunt for like games like Victor Vran have.

Or, even simpler, a perma-flashback league or some way to turn on old league mods. Yes, you can use Zana, but that is only one little league mod which is not enough and it also isn't very sustainable (too expensive for that).

Leveling in Flashback was so much more fun than leveling in the standard game. The tools are there, please, GGG, just allow us to use them...
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Heli0nix wrote:

It's not needed, they already have this design document : it's the one they were following up until 2.0.
"
It's not needed, they already have this design document : it's the one they were following up until 2.0.

I was reading the following words before october 2013 release already. nothing changed except some players are doing burnouts regarding the game ( wich is the case in any games at all ).

As long not even 5% of userbase will even kill atziri i don't see how these threads can even be considered as legitimate ( should i say relevant ? not native speaker sorry ).

If you played too much and feel the game isn't enough hardcore anymore it's not GGG's fault if they can't follow your rythm don't you think ? :)
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on May 26, 2016, 2:58:01 AM
Yes, let's bring back the PoE of yonder days of olde, where it was clumsy, clunky, obtuse, and you had to make a macro for the /ooc command.

All that matters is how super special someone feels that they're a fan of a "difficult" game that is destined to stagnant and fail.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info