Chris Wilson on PoE in 2013 and 2016

Okay im just going to say this again.

The Hardcore players are bitching about the game being easy but theyre intentionally doing everything they can to avoid those challenges. How can you say the game is hard when youre avoiding maps with extra damage or any challenging mods ? You cant. On top of that, playing builds that are obviously too strong (not a clever use of game mechanics just straight up blatantly too strong and builds that anyone could figure out by reading an items description).

VOC did a great video with someone else the other day doing full league mod twinned core Mala, which is a great example of challenge. One of them was playing Voltaxic Spark and still got their shit pushed, it wasnt deathless.

Link to their video https://www.twitch.tv/kickacid/v/67883903

The great thing about softcore, you can challenge your character and your skill by running these difficult maps. Hardcore players intentionally avoid them and complain about lack of challenge.

For example a hardcore player isnt going to run a map like

Because "oh no, i mess up i die".

I do think that item availability plays a huge part in why it may feel easier however. Things are too accessible and there are certainly problematic items like some of the newer flasks being released that ruin the integrity of the games difficulty.

No body seems to be addressing the fact that the reason why the game is easy is mostly because the challenge can be avoided.

Edit - Hi reddit from 2021, i fixed a typo in this post when i said izaro instead of mala. Probably too much time spent in the lab salt mines. Sorry.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Aug 11, 2021, 7:11:53 PM
Hey, Grepman, you skipped the part where Chris talked about difficulty spikes. It makes things a little different (although it doesn't deny the complaining). Also, in the podcast it was said that new variants of monsters would be added to add extra mechanical challenge. I'm optimistic about the future, :P
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
You lot should watch the podcast,Chris did mention a huge rework and general revamp of mobs across the board because of the power creep that ascendancy introduced.
And ofcaurse the game has changed overtime,nobody ever was hiding that which was made quite clear few episodes ago on the same podcast,he even mentioned that they now have investors,which is actually kinda scary to think of what the outcome eventually might be for that one,but whatever.
Games progress and either sink or get praised as time moves on,and there is no indication that PoE is aiming for rockbottom.
As for hardcore being the same as softcore: The amount of people complaining about it is such a small minority that it might as well be a white noise.
No rest for the wicked.
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
Okay im just going to say this again.

The Hardcore players are bitching about the game being easy but theyre intentionally doing everything they can to avoid those challenges. How can you say the game is hard when youre avoiding maps with extra damage or any challenging mods ? You cant. On top of that, playing builds that are obviously too strong (not a clever use of game mechanics just straight up blatantly too strong and builds that anyone could figure out by reading an items description).

VOC did a great video with someone else the other day doing full league mod twinned core Izaro, which is a great example of challenge. One of them was playing Voltaxic Spark and still got their shit pushed, it wasnt deathless.

Link to their video https://www.twitch.tv/kickacid/v/67883903

The great thing about softcore, you can challenge your character and your skill by running these difficult maps. Hardcore players intentionally avoid them and complain about lack of challenge.

For example a hardcore player isnt going to run a map like

Because "oh no, i mess up i die".

I do think that item availability plays a huge part in why it may feel easier however. Things are too accessible and there are certainly problematic items like some of the newer flasks being released that ruin the integrity of the games difficulty.

No body seems to be addressing the fact that the reason why the game is easy is mostly because the challenge can be avoided.

lmao or skipping bosses
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Hey, Grepman, you skipped the part where Chris talked about difficulty spikes. It makes things a little different (although it doesn't deny the complaining). Also, in the podcast it was said that new variants of monsters would be added to add extra mechanical challenge. I'm optimistic about the future, :P

They also added labyrinth. Traps are a mechanical challenge. Yet crybabies cried and cried.

I expect more crying and bitching in the future.
"
NeroNoah wrote:

obviously he mentioned the spikes to keep players alert. it'd be strange if he didn't mention that. the problem is that to have an assumption a game like poe is being played with tv on, for relaxation after coming home (Chris' words, not mine)

new variants of monsters, as far as I understood, are only for non-map content. they might spice up cruel and merciless, which is a good thing, but in maps it doesnt matter- because you'll one shoot them anyway. think of tanky beyond mods and perandus mods when starting with no gear and think of them in endgame maps- they are fodder
best defense would be offense, if you can one shoot the new mechanic mobs, what does it matter?
"
Daiena wrote:
You lot should watch the podcast

I did watch the podcast, live. Made this post right after it was over. And, I must note, I wasn't watching tv while watching the podcast.
"
C1111 wrote:
All you reached lvl100 in hc?

Sure.

Given that I died two times in act1 normal on my last character, both times to 5+ second screen freezes, how likely do you think it is that I have a lvl 100 HC character?

Besides, as far as I can see getting to level 100 is not about difficulty, but about brain-deadness. I kind of got better things to do.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
VOC did a great video with someone else the other day doing full league mod twinned core Izaro, which is a great example of challenge. One of them was playing Voltaxic Spark and still got their shit pushed, it wasnt deathless.

Flashback was awesome! Too bad I couldn't play much (only got to level 49). And too bad it is over again. Perma-flashback would be a thing that would totally get me.

EDIT: Also too bad that T15 maps are so rare. Any reasonably chainable (i.e. T11) map that is that hard? Even with all flashback mods?
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last edited by Char1983 on May 23, 2016, 2:37:24 AM
Complain about easy game

play sc...
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info