And so it begins . . .

I don't think anyone's doubting that information, Poutsos; I certainly don't. However, the presence of lie-spreading climate change deniers does not imply the absence of lie-spreading climate change doomsayers, who have repeatedly exaggerated the severity of the situation, sometimes even under the guise of academic legitimacy.

It seems obvious to me that there is a climate change denial lobby trying to manipulate opinion for their own, rather transparent interests. But it also appears to me that there is a climate change exaggeration lobby, and what bothers me is that I cannot quite discern whom their lies benefit.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 26, 2016, 10:46:35 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
It seems obvious to me that there is a climate change denial lobby trying to manipulate opinion for their own, rather transparent interests. But it also appears to me that there is a climate change exaggeration lobby, and what bothers me is that I cannot quite discern whom their lies benefit.

Dem media d'oh!
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I don't think anyone's doubting that information, Poutsos; I certainly don't. However, the presence of lie-spreading climate change deniers does not imply the absence of lie-spreading climate change doomsayers, who have repeatedly exaggerated the severity of the situation, sometimes even under the guise of academic legitimacy.

Since in the rest of the world climate change is accepted, and even in the US the biggest portion of the population supports the idea, i think it's mostly used by democrats to buy votes. Also the 1% crowd that supports the Democrats seem to be in investing, software design, financial sector etc. and not so much on the actual production, as in Engery Corporations which historically have supported the Conservatives, so they do not care as much for the issue.

Other than that Dalai flat out doubt that in his posts. He even implied that there is more money and influnce on the acceptance part, which to me is absurd.

I do not disagree with your post though. I do think that several non profits like Green Peace and shitloads of neo hippies and hipster vegans might Over Exaggerate the issue, since scientists do not have any conclusive enidenve on the degree that human activity affects the enviroment.

However i do not really care. By putting regulations on oil and coal and investing more into alternative energy sources, humanity is NOT loosing anything. If anything there are more "jobs" created, both in the research deparptment and in the actual labour. The only ones tha are actually lossing are CEOs and oil industry buiseness tycoons. Of course if they start firing people or lowering wages to China levels there will be a negative effect on society as whole, at least for some time, but that has always been the problem with an (almost) unregulated capitalist system.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
Well I'm very pro-capitalism and anti-regulation, in general. (I wonder how many people get into environmentalism because of misguided anticorporatism.) But even then, the basic concept of property rights implies that damage sustained to one's property by others entitles one to damages under tort law. Essentially, pollution is vandalism, and warrants treatment as such.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Forget climate change and moron activists (those are motivate more by fear, paranoia and stupidity than profit), investing in alternate energy sources (included stuff like Nuclear, that seems taboo in some places), would reduce the influence of Saudi Arabia and other OPEC countries and prevent wars like in Iraq for fun and profit. From a strategic point of view, it would be the best thing to do.

"
Poutsos wrote:
since scientists do not have any conclusive enidenve on the degree that human activity affects the enviroment.

About that degree, the IPCC has published a graph where they show the many possible scenarios following different models. There is uncertainty but it's bounded.

Spoiler

Again, I can't say how true it is because I don't know about that branch of physics, but word on street is that it generally fits reality. You don't need to be 100% accurate before it becomes reasonable to do something about it. It's not a end world scenario but it will be shitty to clean the mess.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on May 26, 2016, 8:06:06 PM
"
Poutsos wrote:
DalaiLamas post in the previous page is a perfect example of a conspiracy theory. I mean, comparing climate change to eugenics.....

I didn't compare the two, I said the history of the movement was linked, not that the ideology is still linked. It is that thought process - thinking that they have THE ANSWER to all that ails the world, and must push that idea through at any cost - that is still linked. It is a modern version of Gnosticism.
Spoiler
Kellog's Cornflakes - Try reading about Kellog and see what you find on historical links. Does the history mean the current cornflakes have anything to do with it?
What is still linked - is that there are people who think they know what is best for everyone else and think that it is the government's job to make sure everyone else adheres to it. Some of the current group of "thinkers" believe the planet would be better off without humans, or at least without any humans but the ones who believe exactly what they do.

I'm not sure the following would be more apropos, but I haven't yet seen a term emerge that describes the current trend of ruthless culling of any idea that isn't on the approved agenda: Eumemics
Spoiler

"
Poutsos wrote:
In the scientific literature, there is a strong consensus that global surface temperatures have increased in recent decades and that the trend is caused by human-induced emissions of greenhouse gases.[2][3][4][5][6][7] No scientific body of national or international standing disagrees with this view,[8]

So....... Let's take a look at source # [8]
Spoiler
No scientific body of national or international standing....

Source 8 is: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2006EO360008/abstract;jsessionid=1963167C35F8A21F02BD7F0D496BABEC.f03t01

And what does source [8] actually say?

"The American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) announced in February that the group had given novelist Michael Crichton its 2006 Journalism Award for his novels Jurassic Park and State of Fear. AAPG states that the Journalism Award is intended to acknowledge those who have contributed to the public understanding of geology.

The Council of the American Quaternary Association (AMQUA),a professional organization of scientists who study the recent (Quaternary) period of geologic time in which mankind has flourished, feels it was inappropriate for AAPG to give a journalism award for State of Fear for two reasons. The novel is not journalism. Furthermore, it is fiction that presents a distorted view of global warming as a scientific hoax, and Crichton is using his prominence as a novelist and movie director to push his views into the scientific debate on global warming and its consequences."

Further reading is pay per view.

So, we have the AMQUA saying that they feel the AAPG's award was inappropriate. Now, AMQUA .....might......say later in the article (in the paid section) something like "No scientific body of national or international standing.." but I highly doubt it. That is a never statement, and never statements take mathematical proof, and are very rare indeed. The Second law of thermodynamics is about as close to a never statement as you will find that holds up over any length of time.

Now, what that article DOES tell us is that: Hold on to your mouse loosely, so you don't break it, and breathe deeply....

The AAPG gave an award to Michael Crichton for his book State of Fear, which might indicate that the AAPG endorse's Crichton's skepticism.

So the question now, is does the AAPG qualify as a scientific body?

Check.

Do they have national or international standing?

Check.

"The American Association of Petroleum Geologists is an international organization with over 38000 members in 100-plus countries.

And what does ye olde Wikipedia say about them?
Spoiler
"The American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) is one of the world's largest professional geological societies with more than 36,000 members as of 2013. "

And what does Wikipedia say about this particular issue (Crichton Award)?

"As recently as March 2007, articles in the newsletter of the AAPG Division of Professional Affairs stated that "the data does not support human activity as the cause of global warming"[11] and characterize the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change reports as "wildly distorted and politicized."[12]
2007 AAPG revised position

Acknowledging that the association's previous policy statement on Climate Change was "not supported by a significant number of our members and prospective members",[13] AAPG's formal stance was reviewed and changed in July 2007.

The new statement formally accepts human activity as at least one contributor to carbon dioxide increase, but does not confirm its link to climate change, saying its members are "divided on the degree of influence that anthropogenic CO2 has" on climate.

Spoiler
AAPG also stated support for "research to narrow probabilistic ranges on the effect of anthropogenic CO2 on global climate."

AAPG also withdrew its earlier criticism of other scientific organizations and research stating, "Certain climate simulation models predict that the warming trend will continue, as reported through NAS, AGU, AAAS, and AMS. AAPG respects these scientific opinions but wants to add that the current climate warming projections could fall within well-documented natural variations in past climate and observed temperature data."
[/i]

So, the "No scientific body of national or international standing disagrees with this view"
has been invalidated, and is untrue, and the editors of wikipedia should know this because the very information is on their own site.
Spoiler

"
NeroNoah wrote:
I have caught that guy with the pants down before. No accurate data helps if you obfuscate and misinterprete often. I have no respect for him. He is a sophist.

So, now we have Wikipedia caught with their pants down. So, using that logic, they must be obfuscating and sophists, and we can't ever rely on them either?

Its all just fine though. The next generation will be using Facebook and Tumblr as their source of scientific proof.

I'm sure I could dig further and find more faults. Why am I so sure? Because they are assertions, based on group opinions. They might be very well informed opinions, but that doesn't make their opinions science.
Spoiler

Scientific consensus was that black holes were impossible for a long time as well. The data didn't change, but the people did and eventually they came around to the current view.

Then there are those deniers at CERN and Nature that respectable AGW scientists have to put up with.....

"A new discovery about how clouds form may scale back some of the more dire predictions about temperature increases caused by man-made global warming. "

From the synopsis here:

http://phys.org/news/2016-05-cloud-formation-discovery-lessen.html

from the full article here:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v533/n7604/full/nature18271.html

Even reading this carefully tells you that the people involved are too close to the forest to see the trees:

"The new work shows that a combination of cosmic rays from space and gases emitted by trees also creates particles, and then clouds, without man-made pollution. :

Imagine that, clouds can form without man-made pollution? That's good to know, because otherwise all the rain/snow that caused the Grand Canyon millions of years ago somehow happened without automobile smog. Unless the dinosaurs were somehow industrialized.

Why are the scientists even questioning whether clouds can be made without pollution, when it is obvious they have been for at least millions of year on a regular basis?

There's a little bit of insight here:

Study helps narrow down one reason why clouds are hard to model
http://phys.org/news/2016-03-narrow-clouds-hard.html#nRlv

and the full article here:

http://www.pnas.org/content/113/21/5804.full

Spoiler
What is most important to note is

"Given the diversity of the relationships, constraints are needed to guide model development and reduce uncertainty in estimates of the radiative forcing. Unfortunately, the preindustrial observations needed to constrain the sensitivities are not available."

and

"We have explored this issue for all relationships estimated from global mean anthropogenic change and from global spatial and temporal variability. We have found that these two methods of estimating the relationships differ considerably, differing even in sign for some relationships and models"

In other words, there is some uncertainty in the modeling process. It isn't because the scientists are trying to disguise the truth, it is because they don't (yet) have observations or an experiment that will let them rule that uncertainty out and make their models more accurate.

You don't hear ANY of that uncertainty at top level of AGW fear projecting though.

Science isn't good or evil. It must be verifiable, or it ceases to be science.

So, my stance on this is simple - we need more science, and less opinions. No, I don't care if person X has 12 Nobel peace prizes, his opinion is still an opinion and isn't science.

There needs to be less "modeling" and more data gathering.
Spoiler
Yeah, it will cost some money. I'm ok with spending more money for more real observational and experimentational science. The data will turn out to be useful in so many other ways aside from climate prediction.

Education is not insight. Facts are not ideas. Knowledge isn't power, despite the adage. If that were true, then scientists would be the political leaders in most countries wouldn't they?

Knowledge can be converted into power, and more importantly it can be used to gain power other people for good or for bad. People who want to limit what other people are allowed to think and say, have a bad historical track record.

I am against those who would control what people are allowed to say or think. If you choose to align yourself with the thought control crowd - that is your choice.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on May 27, 2016, 2:39:52 AM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:
They are still relying on ground blasts, and extrapolating plastic usage and relying on heavy plastic soot for their scenario. They don't really have any new data, just extrapolation, and they have 24,000 nuclear weapons at >1 megaton in their calculations.

Can you tell me where it is that assumption (the abstract talks about 100 bombs)?

The introductory paragraph of the .pdf you linked had this:

"1 Introduction

The casualties from the direct effects of blast, radioactivity,
and fires resulting from the massive use of nuclear weapons
by the superpowers would be so catastrophic that we avoided
such a tragedy for the first four decades after the invention
of nuclear weapons. The realization, based on research conducted jointly by Western and Soviet scientists (Crutzen and Birks, 1982; Aleksandrov and Stenchikov, 1983; Turco et
al., 1983, 1990; Robock, 1984; Pittock et al., 1986; Harwell
and Hutchinson, 1986; Sagan and Turco, 1990),"

I had seen analysis of the 1984 and previous stuff, so I knew what the modeling flaws were in those. The 1990 one, I don't recall if I was still actively following the issue at the time. The 1986 one was a grey area. So I looked up the 1986 Harwell and Hutchinson study and that's where the quoted part came from. I thought it was apparent what I was citing. Gah - sorry about that.

My apologies for not making it more clear that I was looking up some of the foundational research that the paper you linked relied on, and not the pdf itself.

OK - back to real world research for me, on a completely different subject.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Poutsos wrote:
more money and influnce on the acceptance part, which to me is absurd.

TL/DR version (see the end for relevant bit) "the carbon market would become the largest commodity market in the world,"

Spoiler

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/legislative_reports/fcce-report-to-congress.pdf

(See page 8)

22.598 Billion 2013

There's ~20+ Billion dollars a year spent on the acceptance side, and that is just the U.S. Federal spending directly linked.

Spoiler

How much was the annual spending on climate change back in 2000? Less than 1/10th of the 2013 funding, and yet the US 1.6 billion annual spending was spending more than half of the total world funding back then.

(see page 22)

www.epw.senate.gov/107th/policybook_june112001.pdf

Global Warming: Follow the Money

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/414359/global-warming-follow-money-henry-payne

Which links to this article...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2011/07/26/we-get-what-we-pay-for-with-disastrous-climate-science/#50c4a9561079

Which links to this article ...

The Climate Industry: $79 billion so far – Trillions to come

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/images/stories/papers/originals/climate_money.pdf

The relevant pages (17,18,19) have the dollar totals and sources used.

You might have to plug in some of the info into Google to get a working link, but here's one of them (source number 48, I think?)

The Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), a federal agency that regulates commodities and futures markets, estimates that the carbon market eventually could become one of the largest commodity markets in the United States.

It is little wonder, then, that big manufacturing isn’t alone in the lobbying mix. Some of the financial world’s biggest players are keeping close tabs on climate change legislation, which is being debated this week by the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

Among the financial firms lobbying on the issue this year are: Zurich Financial, Chicago Mercantile Exchange Corp., JPMorgan Chase & Co., the Reinsurance Association of America, Swiss Re, Deutsche Bank, UBS America and the International Swaps and Derivatives Association.

Estimates of the potential market size vary widely. New Carbon Finance, a private consulting firm, puts the market for derivatives, futures contracts and anything related to emissions allowances at $860 billion by 2020. The CFTC said the carbon market could reach $2 trillion five years after it starts.

“It wouldn’t be as large as some of the financial markets — Treasury bills — but it would be larger than any physical commodity market,” said CFTC Commissioner Bart Chilton, head of the agency’s energy and environmental markets advisory committee.

Kevin Book of the firm ClearView Energy Partners agreed that the carbon market would become the largest commodity market in the world, creating revenue streams for financial firms through the purchase and sale of allowances, transaction fees and market research services.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/4085-bill-on-climate-change-offers-hope-to-wall-st

So, yes, there is a LOT of money involved, and there are sound financial reasons why more of it is going towards pro AGW research.
Last edited by DalaiLama on May 27, 2016, 2:28:08 AM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Forget climate change and moron activists (those are motivate more by fear, paranoia and stupidity than profit), investing in alternate energy sources (included stuff like Nuclear, that seems taboo in some places), would reduce the influence of Saudi Arabia and other OPEC countries and prevent wars like in Iraq for fun and profit. From a strategic point of view, it would be the best thing to do.
You are obviously not Haliburton.

@Dalai: I don't normally do this, but: TL;DR. Summary, please. Edit: oh you kinda added one.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 27, 2016, 12:20:37 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:
You are obviously not Haliburton.

@Dalai: I don't normally do this, but: TL;DR. Summary, please. Edit: oh you kinda added one.

I tried to clean it up a bit, but I'm thinking that each subsequent clean up effort is making more of a mess rather than helping. :-(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info