What happened to Charan?

"
kolyaboo wrote:
I would think calling someone autistic because they don't play HC would be considered offensive but apparently I'm mistaken.

Wait, what? I saw someone saying you're autistic if you play HC, not if you don't play it.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
What's the forum moderation equivalent of suicide by cop?

Fell on a probation?
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
charan asked mods to get probated to fight his forum addiction before :-)

as for trinigamer, i was close to getting probated just for quoting it's accusations so others can see it and draw their own conclusions, that's regarded as insult already, mod wise. good to know, i just report posts now and let ggg do their job.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on May 22, 2016, 10:20:01 AM
He clearly wanted a break from the forums.

There is little reason to assume he would post something like that without knowing the outcome.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
What is the difference if they say people are autistic who play HC or not? It's still insulting. Ever met anyone with an autistic child? They get mad as hell when someone throws this kind of thing out flippantly.
Want to get punched in the head or have your brains blown out? Go to a grocery store and wait until someone shows up with a child developmentally challenged and start tossing out these kind of insults and find out what happens to you.

My point is Charan says something moderately insulting to some person and he gets banned. Someone makes these kind of grade school shenanigan comments that could potentially insult a hell of a lot more than one person and they don't.

I don't report posts; I think I have once. Like Bars, perhaps, I like anarchy.
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on May 22, 2016, 4:02:30 PM
He's playing SMITE
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
FYI, the person who used autistic in that manner is on probation right now.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
As a person with an autistic child, I tend to go to weekend seminars regarding issues pertaining to the parents of autistic children. At the most recent one, we were told referring to our autistic children as "autistic children" is cruel and insensitive, and that the appropriate "people first" language is to refer to autistic children as "children with autism." Basically, they were saying it's insensitive to refer to a disability unless you preface it with "people with."

So after a break for lunch, before the event properly resumed, I began talking. At first, just to the person next to me, but as my rant gained steam I had pretty much describes attention. What I had to say was: it is cowardice to concede the word "autistic" to a bunch of YouTube commenter prepubescent scum, merely due to its nature as an adjective and likely memetic appropriation. When trendy idiots started using "dumb" as a pejorative, the "persons with hearing impairment" of the world surrendered the word to them, and now if you look up "dumb" in the dictionary it actually says "offensive" in italics. Now, in the nineties, this dead guy you may have heard of - one Kurt Cobain - tried to do pretty much the same thing with gay - which, if you've read your Fitzgerald, didn't originally mean homosexual, either. But male homosexuals and their allies fought it, and among the current generation the Nirvana meaning of "gay" has been defeated. They didn't say "hey, it's offensive to be called 'gay,' we want to be referred to as 'persons with the gayness.'" This entire people first language is running from the true issue - idiots setting trends in language to make the adjectives describing idiosyncracy offensive - and actually pandering to that behavior by conceding the issue. It's those trends we need to fight. My son is autistic, that is what it is, and fuck YouTube comments.

I remember I also brought up George Carlin and euphemism, but I forget how it tied in. It mostly filled time while I thought out better points.

I then walked out.

So yes, kolyaboo. Yes indeed. That shit triggers me.

Also, if you guys want to try really hard to be PC, avoid using the word autistic at all. Or better yet, user it, but only when fucking appropriate.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 22, 2016, 8:17:08 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
As a person with an autistic child, I tend to go to weekend seminars regarding issues pertaining to the parents of autistic children. At the most recent one, we were told referring to our autistic children as "autistic children" is cruel and insensitive, and that the appropriate "people first" language is to refer to autistic children

I remember I also brought up George Carlin and euphemism, but I forget how it tied in. It mostly filled time while I thought out better points.

I then walked out.

So yes, kolyaboo. Yes indeed. That shit triggers me.

Also, if you guys want to try really hard to be PC, avoid using the word autistic at all. Or better yet, user it, but only when fucking appropriate.

While I can understand the anger against avoidance and euphemisms, there is some validity to using "person with .. " terminology. The rationale is the disease may not define the person. A diagnosis covers a wide spectrum, and comorbidities or individual resilience could mean that three different people with the same.diagnosis will.present differently. Treatment will vary and that person's needs and preferences will vary, but the common mindset is to assume far too much just because of a given label.

The part where a diagnostic label became an insult is horribly wrong, but society has been doing that for thousands of years.

I wouldn't say someone was a broken armed, but would say they had a broken arm.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on May 22, 2016, 9:06:38 PM
I generally find the political correctness trend to be... dumb.

First off, mean people will always find ways to be mean. Scrotie referred to Carlin, I'm reminded of Louis CK's rant about 'the n-word'. Second, obsessing about a word so much probably does more harm than good. It gives this word more importance.

You could apply high school rules: if you show something offends you, it backfires. Embrace weaknesses, make fun of them yourself and you'll be untouchable. A little bit of self-irony and lightheartedness goes a long way. 'But wait, we're grown-ups, we aren't highschoolers'... well, yes and no. We all retain the same instincts and impulses beneath the thin veneer of maturity and some people lack even that. To illustrate, I went completely bald at a very young age. Was visibly bald in 10th grade, so I went through most of high school like that. What did I do? Cut my hair very short, not shaved but close, and didn't give a fuck about it. Didn't try to hide it with caps or with some ridiculous hairdo (Trump, I'm looking at you - that shit's absurd). I was the first to joke about it and when someone made fun of it I encouraged it. Guess what, when people see you don't give a fuck, they don't care that much either.

I shudder to think what it would've been like if I had tried to fight against that and acted offended. Barbara Streisand effect guaranteed.

That applies to parents too. Children are sensitive about the attitude of the parent and if the child sees the parent is getting worked up and offended about something, guess what, maybe it's really a bad thing and something to be conscious about? Not a good approach by any means. Lead by example and show, don't tell. So, about Kolyaboo's example - as much as I understand this emotional reaction, I think it's to the child's detriment. Someone calls your child autistic... so what? Yes, the child is indeed autistic. Very observant. And guess what, it doesn't matter. It's probably still an awesome child and you love it very much, right? I don't know many autistic people but the ones I know are incredibly nice and gentle people, some also have amazing talents. A random stranger's opinion is irrelevant and not to be obsessed about.

This doesn't mean I approve of people who use offensive language with ill intent. They're still assholes. This means I think it's entirely in the interest of a person suffering from a drawback to try to be less serious about it.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 23, 2016, 5:03:05 AM
What happened to that boy?

Spoiler
"(Brrrrrrrrrrr!) What happened to that boy?
(Brrrrrrrrrrr!) What happened to that boy?
(Brrrrrrrrrrr!) What happened to that boy?
He was talking [shhh] we put a clap into that boy."
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info