Act 4 bosses, how to beat them?

I've been pressing through Act 4 for the first time with a wand wielding Scion (she's using a throwback build from long ago. GMP + Chain + Power Siphon with the Iron Grip keystone). I haven't tried to ascend her yet.

The thing is, the Act 4 bosses are hard... REALLY hard.

Mind you, it's not that I mind the difficulty level... but there's got to be a way to fight them without doing what I had to do (hit them a few times, die, respawn at checkpoint, repeat)

Voll was fine. I managed to take him out in a single life. Daresso and Kaom ... not so much. Granted, my damage is a bit on the low side (I've got the highest damage wand I can find atm... but it IS a wand)

Act 4 Piety, on the other hand... I don't even know where to begin. Is there even a way to dodge that spinning attack of hers? I had to swap out Kinetic Burst for Essence drain just to hurt her before I died and she'd kill me in under 5 seconds.

for the TL:DR- Act 4 bosses are hard? What's a good way to beat them in a single life? Also, I haven't fought the other bosses yet. Any suggestions on them?
Last bumped on May 21, 2016, 8:34:03 AM
Well, Daresso started to get problematic for me (specially in Merciless). He can be somewhat punishing with his unavoidable combos. I guess I have to practice more, but he has a pattern.

About Kaom, just go around him when he uses his slam, and move to a safe area when fireballs start to fall. It's easy.

Piety is tricky. You have to be near her to be able to properly avoid her laser. The first instinct is to be far in that fight because it's scary. Be careful to not move her too much (knockback from leapslam is a main culprit for that), and she should go down.

Malachai...well, he is well designed. Practice, practice, practice!
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Act 4 bosses are all about Mobility, really.

Piety you can tell when she's about to start spinning then you just run in a circle (You should be able to outrun it in most any gear).

The Trio of bosses:
Spoiler
Maligaro - Eugh. I hate this fight. He's all about traps and chaos damage, you want to avoid the traps if you can and I have no more advice for this one.

Shavronne - She's pretty easy, fairly telegraphed attacks and her Storm Call is easy to avoid. Keep an eye for a small ring of lightning around her, that's a reflect aura. Do not attack her when it's up.

Doedre - She's all physical damage, just try to keep out of where the curse zones overlap and move to other zones as they switch if there's any one curse that gives you specific trouble.

The Final Boss:
Spoiler
His most dangerous attack is a forward facing cone-shaped AoE, so you want to stay beside or behind him when possible. Don't stand in Piety's beam, it will shock you, and when he brings up his shield down her ASAP. There will be some Worms spawned every now and then to help with flask generation and such.

Once he's down, portal out to refill your potions if they're not full, then go in to Phase 2.

Phase 2: He talks for a bit, so if you have area damage or totems or something lay them down to get a nice head start. He has mostly the same attacks as in Phase 1, but now there's more adds, and you don't want to stand in the blood. At certain health threshholds he'll gain a shield, heal, and one of the three Hearts will become targettable. Kill the heart to break the shield, repeat again. When you're on the last heart a red ring will appear and slowly follow you around, you very much don't want to stand in it so keep moving as much as you can until you down the last heart, and then Malachai himself finally.

Note: The most dangerous attack, IMO, is when he sinks into the ground. After a couple seconds an indicator will appear on the ground and he'll burst out doing a lot of damage in an AoE.

He'll also put down... traps, I guess, on the ground. Small-ish red runes that explode when you step on them.
first thing u have to know: chain is unuseful on single target...u should remove it and replace by a culling strike or physical ^projetile damage or faster/slower projectile...remove also the gmp to get a 100% single target skill...it would be realy helpful

have fun
learning is a painful process ... knowledge is the most deadly weapon.
Use frost walls on bosses when you bombard them with GMP + Kinetic Blast
"
Zephryl wrote:
His most dangerous attack is a forward facing cone-shaped AoE, so you want to stay beside or behind him when possible. Don't stand in Piety's beam, it will shock you, and when he brings up his shield down her ASAP. There will be some Worms spawned every now and then to help with flask generation and such.

He also has a big hit like Voll's that needs to be dodged because it's a quite obvious one shot mechanism there.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
I usually have at least 2 combat skills. One for groups and one for bosses. I was originally using Kinetic Blast with improved critical strikes and power charge on critical as my single target skill.

Now I'm using Essence Drain + Void Manipulation + Faster casting (I wanted less duration but the RNG isn't cooperating) as my primary skill (I swapped it out when I met Piety again x.x). I'd still like Kinetic Blast but it'd be better if I could somehow get the shockwaves to hit the primary target too.

Power Siphon + GMP + Chain + Life Gain on Hit is for mob groups.

.......... so how good are frost walls for stopping some of the boss's attacks?

I fought Malachai finally (died once in the first stage and more than I could count on the second). The problem with his fight is that the arena is both small and crowded with all the things you need to avoid.

One of my biggest problems is that I click to move but it activates my attack instead. I died quite a few times to that. I get the sense that I should not be approaching these bosses in cruel and merciless with even a moderately filled xp bar x.x
"
Manofdusk wrote:

One of my biggest problems is that I click to move but it activates my attack instead

I put my Golem on the left click slot, then click becomes move and you need to Shift+Click to summon the Golem.

I assume it works the way for any skill in the left button slot~
"
Zephryl wrote:

I put my Golem on the left click slot, then click becomes move and you need to Shift+Click to summon the Golem.

Not on all skills, totems and mines are particularly bad about it... and I think summon skeletons too... but I'll try the golem. It would be nice not to have to worry about the failed move deaths.

Also in Act 4 Piety, does she summon those eyes or can they be dealt with to where you don't need to fool with them? I know they stunned me several times when I was trying to avoid her laser.
"
Manofdusk wrote:
"
Zephryl wrote:

Not on all skills, totems and mines are particularly bad about it... and I think summon skeletons too... but I'll try the golem. It would be nice not to have to worry about the failed move deaths.

Also in Act 4 Piety, does she summon those eyes or can they be dealt with to where you don't need to fool with them? I know they stunned me several times when I was trying to avoid her laser.

Ah, well, I always reserve it for my Golem since the regular attack is... well, borderline pointless.

I'm not sure if it's time based, just one of the moves she does, or if it's as/after every super-death-beam-spin... But, that's when a new pod in the ring sorrounding her opens to summon the eyes. I don't think you can damage them at all until they open.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info