brand new gaming pc - FPS spikes

Don't know how this is even possible but I just purchased a brand new gaming PC with i7, Nvidia 960, 16 GB ram.

I just upgraded from my old PC beacause I was getting FPS spikes in that one but it seems that my gaming rig power was not the issue...

Seriously?

Is there any tricks people have figured out? Happens when high number of effects, mobs, etc. For example, opening a lockbox and casting VMS... spikes to 0 FPS. Help?
Last bumped on May 20, 2016, 11:19:09 PM
The key is to understand WHY you're getting "spikes".

You can upgrade all the wrong components you want and it won't necessarily fix your problem.

If your bottleneck isn't the GPU, then upgrading the GPU isn't going to fix the problem. By that same notion, if you aren't bottlenecking on CPU, then upgrading that won't matter either.

It is entirely possible that it could be an issue with resource contention or loading. If you aren't using an SSD, for instance, you still get a heavy hit on the HDD when loading assets. Opening a strongbox causes a LOT of asset loading on-demand rather than preloading like normally when entering an insstance.

Also, there are "game boosting services" that can also greatly reduce performance in some cases, or if you have an incompatible profileset up for your graphics, thatcan negatively affect performance.

Sometimes it helps to disable vsync in the game and in the graphics control panel and instead set up a frame limiter at the same rate as your monitor refresh rate. If your monitor refreshes at 60Hz then set the frame-limiter to 60FPS.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info