[2.4] Crit Chin Sol BR Traps - T15/Atziri/Uber Lab/Pale Court on 25c budget! Uber Atziri on 6-L

TL;DR:
This build felt well-designed, but too clunky for someone used to clear-speed-OP-meta-builds.
====================================================================

Thanks Danteis for posting this build. And thanks for the videos too, I watched most of them. I like your sense of humour and thought the guides were well written and the videos clear. I say this because you made it clear you were new to making guides (written or video) and wanted feedback.

About the build... Well, first a little background. Having been on holiday for first 3 weeks of Prophecy league, I started the league late. I wanted to make only one build this league, collect 36 challenges, make some currency, buy some league-specific items (Kintsugi and Reach, mainly, but also the rest since they are cheap, just in case). I wanted a cheap build so I could amass extra currency to buy those items without having to play a whole lot this league.

I had never played traps (beyond a little bit in levelling or races). I had never truly wanted to. But I thought I should give it a go, just to experience a playstyle I hadn't taken to end game before. I saw your thread on reddit while on vacation, did a google search on chin sol trapper when I came back home; it all looked pretty awesome and I decided to go for it.

I am sad to say that after playing your build to level 82 and getting 17 challenges, I decided I couldn't take it any longer, and had to reroll as a bow character (currently using Doomfletch's Prism, lightning arrow, pierce and frost wall for bosses).

I hope you don't take this personally. I think you did a good job with the build. The problem for me was more the intrinsic mechanics of being a trapper. Within the limitations of being a trapper, I think this build worked great - so you did a good job, and I would still say the build is solid - just not for me.

My problem was the clunkiness. For example, it takes a fraction of a second for the traps to fly on the ground, then a fraction of a second to arm, then they trigger, and it takes another fraction of a second for the blast rain to start hitting, and that rain in itself lasts a fraction of a second. All said and done, it takes maybe 2 seconds for the full effect of my mouse click to resolve. As an indication of this slowness, in a party, my traps would often not trigger because the mobs would be dead before they armed. If they triggered, the mobs would almost certainly be dead before the blast rain started hitting.

If I wanted to pick up loot, I needed to wait around for mobs to die. That was kinda fun, evading enemies while waiting for them to die... for a while. Then I got bored. The other option (for max xp/h) was just to run past all the packs while tossing in traps into them - and not looking back to see if some survived or not (and generally, killing stragglers was annoying anyway, so I often wouldn't bother), or what loot dropped, and relying of lootfilter sounds to tell me if I need to run back.

Ok, so admittedly, blast rain is partially to blame for this slowness. But I still think you did a good job with the build, if I take it as a given that it is a blast rain trap build.

Another clunkiness I didn't like: traps have cooldown charges. Yes, I learned a lot about how to not waste trap charges. But sometimes I still ran out. Maybe there are several packs around me, maybe the cluster trap threw the traps in a bad formation - which is another clunky thing I didn't like - I almost preferred the deterministic placement of multiple traps over the stochasticity of cluster traps.

In any case, I felt the trap cooldown was still setting the pace for my clearspeed, even with Saboteur's Chain Reaction. I would dread to play a trapper without Chain Reaction (like your Rain of Arrows Assassin).

Having said that, it was fun for a while to play PoE this way, running around a lot in between using main active skills, avoiding enemies, or kiting them to traps (talking of 1-2 sec mini kiting actions). But I now feel like "been there, done that - back to usual clearspeed, please".

On the other positive notes: the damage of this build is excellent! Using a diamond flask and a 5L, it really didn't matter at all what was in pack, it was dead when the blasts came raining down. Bosses die the instant they trigger vaal burning arrow traps. Single target damage is amazing. Also, while not being a real tank, the build had good enough survivability (for SC; life, dodge and evasion), and I felt it could confidently do all the content I came across.

This long post is a little strange as a reply. I don't really offer any constructive criticism: I don't think I would change your build in any significant way. [I only made small changes. For example, taking Master of the Arena in the passive tree, or having Cast When Damage Taken trigger Enfeeble in addition to Immortal Call, with Increased Duration support.] The build is what it is, and it does what it does very well. I don't even think GGG should change any of the mechanics: there needs to be some downside to being able to deal this ridiculous damage, which in this case is that it is clunkier to apply the damage. It feels balanced and right - just not what I want to play (a lot anyway).

If anything, maybe this post would be best taken as a review, something that might aid other players in deciding whether or not they want to make this build, by offering another perspective about what it is like to play this build. My perspective is admittedly that of someone whose last two builds were Scolds-VMS and Voltaxic-LA (before they both got nerfed hard) - in other words, some of the fastest clearing (and most broken) builds ever.

I think I will still occasionally play my Chin Sol blast rain trapper, to revisit that different playstyle, but for now, I needed a break from it after getting frustrated by its clunkiness.

In the meantime, Danteis, keep doing what you are doing and walking the less trodden paths, making funky non-meta builds. Who knows, maybe you'll even discover something that become meta - though that is hardly the point.
Last edited by DeFoot on Jul 12, 2016, 6:33:04 PM
"
DeFoot wrote:
TL;DR:
This build felt well-designed, but too clunky for someone used to clear-speed-OP-meta-builds.
====================================================================

Thanks Danteis for posting this build. And thanks for the videos too, I watched most of them. I like your sense of humour and thought the guides were well written and the videos clear. I say this because you made it clear you were new to making guides (written or video) and wanted feedback.

About the build... Well, first a little background. Having been on holiday for first 3 weeks of Prophecy league, I started the league late. I wanted to make only one build this league, collect 36 challenges, make some currency, buy some league-specific items (Kintsugi and Reach, mainly, but also the rest since they are cheap, just in case). I wanted a cheap build so I could amass extra currency to buy those items without having to play a whole lot this league.

I had never played traps (beyond a little bit in levelling or races). I had never truly wanted to. But I thought I should give it a go, just to experience a playstyle I hadn't taken to end game before. I saw your thread on reddit while on vacation, did a google search on chin sol trapper when I came back home; it all looked pretty awesome and I decided to go for it.

I am sad to say that after playing your build to level 82 and getting 17 challenges, I decided I couldn't take it any longer, and had to reroll as a bow character (currently using Doomfletch's Prism, lightning arrow, pierce and frost wall for bosses).

I hope you don't take this personally. I think you did a good job with the build. The problem for me was more the intrinsic mechanics of being a trapper. Within the limitations of being a trapper, I think this build worked great - so you did a good job, and I would still say the build is solid - just not for me.

My problem was the clunkiness. For example, it takes a fraction of a second for the traps to fly on the ground, then a fraction of a second to arm, then they trigger, and it takes another fraction of a second for the blast rain to start hitting, and that rain in itself lasts a fraction of a second. All said and done, it takes maybe 2 seconds for the full effect of my mouse click to resolve. As an indication of this slowness, in a party, my traps would often not trigger because the mobs would be dead before they armed. If they triggered, the mobs would almost certainly be dead before the blast rain started hitting.

If I wanted to pick up loot, I needed to wait around for mobs to die. That was kinda fun, evading enemies while waiting for them to die... for a while. Then I got bored. The other option (for max xp/h) was just to run past all the packs while tossing in traps into them - and not looking back to see if some survived or not (and generally, killing stragglers was annoying anyway, so I often wouldn't bother), or what loot dropped, and relying of lootfilter sounds to tell me if I need to run back.

Ok, so admittedly, blast rain is partially to blame for this slowness. But I still think you did a good job with the build, if I take it as a given that it is a blast rain trap build.

Another clunkiness I didn't like: traps have cooldown charges. Yes, I learned a lot about how to not waste trap charges. But sometimes I still ran out. Maybe there are several packs around me, maybe the cluster trap threw the traps in a bad formation - which is another clunky thing I didn't like - I almost preferred the deterministic placement of multiple traps over the stochasticity of cluster traps.

In any case, I felt the trap cooldown was still setting the pace for my clearspeed, even with Saboteur's Chain Reaction. I would dread to play a trapper without Chain Reaction (like your Rain of Arrows Assassin).

Having said that, it was fun for a while to play PoE this way, running around a lot in between using main active skills, avoiding enemies, or kiting them to traps (talking of 1-2 sec mini kiting actions). But I now feel like "been there, done that - back to usual clearspeed, please".

On the other positive notes: the damage of this build is excellent! Using a diamond flask and a 5L, it really didn't matter at all what was in pack, it was dead when the blasts came raining down. Bosses die the instant they trigger vaal burning arrow traps. Single target damage is amazing. Also, while not being a real tank, the build had good enough survivability (for SC; life, dodge and evasion), and I felt it could confidently do all the content I came across.

This long post is a little strange as a reply. I don't really offer any constructive criticism: I don't think I would change your build in any significant way. [I only made small changes. For example, taking Master of the Arena in the passive tree, or having Cast When Damage Taken trigger Enfeeble in addition to Immortal Call, with Increased Duration support.] The build is what it is, and it does what it does very well. I don't even think GGG should change any of the mechanics: there needs to be some downside to being able to deal this ridiculous damage, which in this case is that it is clunkier to apply the damage. It feels balanced and right - just not what I want to play (a lot anyway).

If anything, maybe this post would be best taken as a review, something that might aid other players in deciding whether or not they want to make this build, by offering another perspective about what it is like to play this build. My perspective is admittedly that of someone whose last two builds were Scolds-VMS and Voltaxic-LA (before they both got nerfed hard) - in other words, some of the fastest clearing (and most broken) builds ever.

I think I will still occasionally play my Chin Sol blast rain trapper, to revisit that different playstyle, but for now, I needed a break from it after getting frustrated by its clunkiness.

In the meantime, Danteis, keep doing what you are doing and walking the less trodden paths, making funky non-meta builds. Who knows, maybe you'll even discover something that become meta - though that is hardly the point.

Fantastic review! On point on pretty much everything. I made the build to try and make something that can devastate almost anything in the game on a really really cheap budget. It's not the quickest clearing and it's definitely not up to the clear speed of the crazy meta builds right now, but it does what it does well :)

It got me a whole bunch of currency early on without me getting more than a 4-l before making my second char this season. I appreciate the kind words and the support! If you're interested at all in a build that's more in the clear-speed meta but still different enough from the herd, check out the Permastun Crit EQ Juggernaut I just put a guide out about :)

Thanks again dude, great in depth review.
Amazing build! I just started a shadow when I saw this! I just have one question - I am trying to adapt this build to be a MF build. I don't want to clear tier 15 maps with it nor doing ubers - just want some fun (I like trapping gameplay style) build to clear some dried lake/level 72-74 maps, tops. Any advice on end game gear with that purpose? Should I look for similar gear but with IIR and that would be enough or there are any specifics I should be aware of when doing a MFind build?

Thanks in advance!
"
Soyjuro wrote:
Amazing build! I just started a shadow when I saw this! I just have one question - I am trying to adapt this build to be a MF build. I don't want to clear tier 15 maps with it nor doing ubers - just want some fun (I like trapping gameplay style) build to clear some dried lake/level 72-74 maps, tops. Any advice on end game gear with that purpose? Should I look for similar gear but with IIR and that would be enough or there are any specifics I should be aware of when doing a MFind build?

Thanks in advance!

Hey sorry for the late reply, hope the build is going well!

For MFing I would replace crit/ele flat damage rolls on gear with MF to maintain the cost since you'll one-shot dried-lake/low level maps with very little in terms of added damage on this build.

I'd likely throw on Aurseize and and some combination of Andvarius/Ventors (depending on what you can afford). On top of that you could run a greed's embrace since you don't need the higher health for those maps either that Belly gives.

Hope that helps!
great build, really unique and effective, something for the upcoming league

since i love to do my own build variations, what do you think about using the sunblast (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sunblast) belt and take a different ascendancy class?

sure, the 40% trap cooldown is massive, but everything isnt that hard to beat imo
"
prospecial wrote:

since i love to do my own build variations, what do you think about using the sunblast (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sunblast) belt and take a different ascendancy class?

sure, the 40% trap cooldown is massive, but everything isnt that hard to beat imo

Hey! Been super busy lately sorry I haven't gotten back to you earlier. So sunblast is definitely an option to go with a different ascendancy, but you'll also have to use 2 cheap construction jewels. So there's a bit of sacrifice there. On top of that, the ascendancy actually gives a huge chunk of damage on top of the chain-reaction per trap out. It's not at all tiny and ends up being almost 100% increased damage which is pretty huge!

That being said it's definitely doable, though you will somehow have to makeup the lost life as the belt gives us a huge chunk of added life.
"
Danteis wrote:

looks like this build was left intact after the patch notes.

did you notice anything earth-shattering? i wanted to try this last league (you recommended it to me on reddit before prop, i've been lurking ever since) but went with my tried and true (and recently nerfed) BF oblit setup.

Last edited by alexandrubenza on Aug 31, 2016, 6:32:30 PM
"
Danteis wrote:
"
prospecial wrote:

Hey! Been super busy lately sorry I haven't gotten back to you earlier. So sunblast is definitely an option to go with a different ascendancy, but you'll also have to use 2 cheap construction jewels. So there's a bit of sacrifice there. On top of that, the ascendancy actually gives a huge chunk of damage on top of the chain-reaction per trap out. It's not at all tiny and ends up being almost 100% increased damage which is pretty huge!

That being said it's definitely doable, though you will somehow have to makeup the lost life as the belt gives us a huge chunk of added life.

Hi bro, will this build have CI Version. Look great at Essence League when many builds got " a buff" :D
"
Danteis wrote:
"
prospecial wrote:

no problem, thanks for the replay
you are right about the saboteur, i will just stick with it

however i will play CI

here is my current tree (also @dtieubinh, maybe it helps)

http://www.poeplanner.com/AAIAAUxBQUlHQXdBQWVFVjhsNWY3OWJRNDVSbU1Ob25UY0ZJcUMxM3lLd29STC10anRVaHRiT2QwMnhvUWU3NDY5VXZCQUE1STdoVzNkZWpXQmJYQzdMVEYyLWR3VVhadmZyRFlWTE1ETWhoVE1ZMl9VVWZuVkNUOV85NHdmSDhyT2RSMjl6SDZvSjl2OGxiNjNVWmpweEdCZDljVWRhVENXNjhoZG9iT3dUTVJsZ2NlbFM3dzFVbFJmOGJCeGV3WUxMOFYxNGF1Vm1Oa3FwdUdhamFJUWgzWlExVDBjYUtqVVhRYWdhYVpEOFE3ZkxqS2t5ZnZpUGszMTg5SnNiNktvUzljaW13TEl2UnRHZGxiR3lWTHJzSHpDTlNLQnZENTZRTGZpaEZRTmJtbkt4MVBrQTB6ZU9jNkctQnpiV0pQeVFablRtOTM5cDgzRnc9PQAIQUFBQUFRQUEAAA==

let me know if its crap or playable
Is this doable in HC as first char? How?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info