Forbes Claim that D3 is the Greatest ARPG ever made

"
wierdzodi wrote:
I'm not certain D3 qualifies as a true ARPG, the ''rpg'' part is almost missing, it's arcade action with very little character development. Kanai cube improved things a bit but still it's severely lacking in depth.

Which ARPG has ever had a true RPG component? And I mean actual role-playing, as in pen-and-paper games like Dungeons and Dragons. Assigning skill points does not qualify even if it's commonly associated with CRPGs (computer role-playing games).

Path of Exile gets a fraction of a point from the bandit quest where you could theoretically role-play your character in deciding whom to help. I suspect most players make the choice based on what reward they want though.

D3 is fun to play every once in a while and has a much smoother execution than PoE. The combat just flows better. However, the ridiculous power levels of set items pigeonhole players to certain builds and balance between classes might just as well not exist.

Whether D3 or PoE is a better game very much depends on how one approaches gaming. D3 is definitely better for a casual solo player. PoE on the other hand has more longevity for hardcore players.
"
databeaver wrote:

Which ARPG has ever had a true RPG component? And I mean actual role-playing, as in pen-and-paper games like Dungeons and Dragons. Assigning skill points does not qualify even if it's commonly associated with CRPGs (computer role-playing games).

Path of Exile gets a fraction of a point from the bandit quest where you could theoretically role-play your character in deciding whom to help. I suspect most players make the choice based on what reward they want though.

D3 is fun to play every once in a while and has a much smoother execution than PoE. The combat just flows better. However, the ridiculous power levels of set items pigeonhole players to certain builds and balance between classes might just as well not exist.

Whether D3 or PoE is a better game very much depends on how one approaches gaming. D3 is definitely better for a casual solo player. PoE on the other hand has more longevity for hardcore players.

D2 is the gold standard of ARPG's. So when comparing ARPG's, you figure out which game is closest to D2, and that is the best ARPG.

D3 is more like playing golden axe at an arcade, POE is more like playing D2. Therefore POE is a better ARPG than D3.
I'd like to further endorse the opinion and outrage about bumping a troll thread to 10 pages. I'd also like to pile on Forbes for sucking at being a platform for good thought/writing/editing. Yep...I think that covers it. Check and check.
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
D3 was horrible. Ill say no more.

And since when did Forbes know ANYTHING about gaming? Thats right, never.

BTW we and many others pre ordered D3 BECAUSE OF DIABLO2 , LOD AND D1. Just off the fact that the previous games were nothing less than legendary and many of us waited a decade for the next Diablo. And Blizzard dropped the ball.

Idiots who werent even old enough to play d2 at the time really shouldn't even be commenting here. You have NO idea of what you are talking about.

If you think D3 sold so much because it was such a "solid" game you are a moron. It sold because of its reputation.

I for one would have never bought the game if I knew it was gonna be such a PoS.

Too bad that in 2012 the internet wasn't around and you couldn't watch dozens of gameplay vids and previews to make an informed purchase. Shame. They really hoodwinked you and everyone else huh?!

I keep asking this very same question despite the fact that Blizzard clearly advertised D3 to be an RMAH MMO even had developer diaries about it, clearly showed that D3 was nothing like D2. People who are apparently hardcore D2 players for some reason never knew about the internet or youtube to check out the bazillion videos online to see what D3 was about.

I find it strange that D2 players conveniently had no access to youtube or internet in 2012.
Look how Awesome my MTX Marauder RF looks

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695395
"
TriniGamer wrote:

I keep asking this very same question despite the fact that Blizzard clearly advertised D3 to be an RMAH MMO even had developer diaries about it, clearly showed that D3 was nothing like D2. People who are apparently hardcore D2 players for some reason never knew about the internet or youtube to check out the bazillion videos online to see what D3 was about.

I find it strange that D2 players conveniently had no access to youtube or internet in 2012.

It is funny how you link a stupid article praising D3, and then pretend to dislike D3 in the first post, and then you spend the rest of the thread praising D3 and promoting D3.

You are a D3 schill. It obviously enrages you to hear the facts about how amazing D2 is, and how trash D3 is.

"
Khoranth wrote:
"
TriniGamer wrote:

It is funny how you link a stupid article praising D3, and then pretend to dislike D3 in the first post, and then you spend the rest of the thread praising D3 and promoting D3.

You are a D3 schill. It obviously enrages you to hear the facts about how amazing D2 is, and how trash D3 is.

Gold Standard outsold by casual D3 AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Just to be safe I played D2 last night and I understand now why Blizzard fired the losers who made it, D2 really is the shit standard. LOL

Last edited by TriniGamer on May 14, 2016, 8:17:23 AM
"
WarUltima wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
WarUltima wrote:

PoE will never reach the greatest tier in general public's view, simply due to PoE appeals to a very small group of players.

small group of players? Ok, millions of people, small group. The publics view? Everyone I know owns D3, all my guild, and they all think its shit, you mean those people ya? The people who are in those sales figures? If you think D3 holds some kind of consistent player base that is 4x, 10x the size of PoEs I think you are vastly mistaken.

HAHAHAHAHA

yea the people in your PoE guild talks trash about Diablo 3. Who would ever thought?

If you think PoE has competitive population against Diablo 3... you are probably delusional.

Funny how bad D3 is yet everyone and their moms in your guild still brought it. Get it? Jokes on yourself.

I noticed how you are on Probation for saying something well within the rules but those POE shills using curse words and clearly breaking the rules are untouched.

Its the same thing David Brevick does on his garbage Marvel Heroes ARPG forums.

This is why companies like Blizzard are so successful they don't try to sell their games by dishonest practices. It also reminds me of DayZ developers they can't take criticism about the fact that the DayZ MOD is superior to what they are trying to develop for 4 years now and have gotten nowhere.

Thats the issue with devs these days and thats why Marvel heroes is such a Piece of Shit. Just imagine that guy behind Marvel heroes is the guy who created D2? nah it just shows that he was just a peasant employee that Blizzard hired then fired for good reasons.

Looking at Marvel Heroes you understand why Blizzard fired that loser.

"
TriniGamer wrote:

Well thats easy... Because its Forbes. Forbes is ALL about MONEY and as far as money making goes D3 IS one of the biggest money makers to date. Its not only sold millions of copy's along with millions of ROS copy's but on top of all that its also sold millions of copy's on EACH Console platform it was released on. And since thats the main thing Forbes looks at is the number where money is concerned thats where they are holding the weight.

POE is made a small independent company that started in a man's garage and only has one game which is POE. Blizzard already had multiple games before D3 its made its mass fortune from including one of the best and biggest money making MMO's ever which is WOW. So its no surprise that the numbers for Blizzards products will probably always be alot bigger than GGG's from marketing alone.

Luckly for us none of that shit really matters because the most important thing to us is a game we enjoy. Thus why alot of us have more money in POE than we would have in D3 even if we bought multiple copy's of the game yet POE is entirely free to play. And considering GGG are able to not only afford to provide POE for free but also continue to add more and more content to the game also for free means GGG are doing just fine with their numbers even if they are not to the scale of Blizzards.

Another thing that has to be considered here is that D3 is also about as casual as an ARPG can get. Everything from loot to mechanics and gamplay is so simplified that ANYONE including kids can get into it and learn to play the game with little to no problem. Thus why so many people will naturally play it. POE has a notorious learning curve and takes ALOT of time and knowledge to get into the depth of. So thats a much greater chance someone who doesn't wish to really think about what they are doing or want to learn all that needs to be known to play POE will stop playing POE once they find out how much there is to the game. Where D3 damn near plays itself so its alot easier to get into.
But this is also why POE tends to attract a totally different crowd than D3.. POE players for the most part tend to be older and a bit more educated in alot of cases where D3 you will run into ALOT more kids and trolls and otherwise unpleasant people in general. Atleast in exp with both games but at the same time both games have their shitty community members like any online game.

Besides i dont need a magazine or gaming site or any of that to tell me what i like or what is the best... Im a big boy and i can figure that stuff out for myself just fine. Others opinions are fine to hear and ill listen but that doesnt mean im gonna take that shit to the bank and put my faith it like the word of god or something.. it is afterall.. some ones opinion and nothing more. \m/

There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on May 14, 2016, 9:35:10 AM
"
Demonoz wrote:
"
TriniGamer wrote:

Well thats easy... Because its Forbes. Forbes is ALL about MONEY and as far as money making goes D3 IS one of the biggest money makers to date. Its not only sold millions of copy's along with millions of ROS copy's but on top of all that its also sold millions of copy's on EACH Console platform it was released on. And since thats the main thing Forbes looks at is the number where money is concerned thats where they are holding the weight.

POE is made a small independent company that started in a man's garage and only has one game which is POE. Blizzard already had multiple games before D3 its made its mass fortune from including one of the best and biggest money making MMO's ever which is WOW. So its no surprise that the numbers for Blizzards products will probably always be alot bigger than GGG's from marketing alone.

Luckly for us none of that shit really matters because the most important thing to us is a game we enjoy. Thus why alot of us have more money in POE than we would have in D3 even if we bought multiple copy's of the game yet POE is entirely free to play. And considering GGG are able to not only afford to provide POE for free but also continue to add more and more content to the game also for free means GGG are doing just fine with their numbers even if they are not to the scale of Blizzards.

Another thing that has to be considered here is that D3 is also about as casual as an ARPG can get. Everything from loot to mechanics and gamplay is so simplified that ANYONE including kids can get into it and learn to play the game with little to no problem. Thus why so many people will naturally play it. POE has a notorious learning curve and takes ALOT of time and knowledge to get into the depth of. So thats a much greater chance someone who doesn't wish to really think about what they are doing or want to learn all that needs to be known to play POE will stop playing POE once they find out how much there is to the game. Where D3 damn near plays itself so its alot easier to get into.
But this is also why POE tends to attract a totally different crowd than D3.. POE players for the most part tend to be older and a bit more educated in alot of cases where D3 you will run into ALOT more kids and trolls and otherwise unpleasant people in general. Atleast in exp with both games but at the same time both games have their shitty community members like any online game.

Besides i dont need a magazine or gaming site or any of that to tell me what i like or what is the best... Im a big boy and i can figure that stuff out for myself just fine. Others opinions are fine to hear and ill listen but that doesnt mean im gonna take that shit to the bank and put my faith it like the word of god or something.. it is afterall.. some ones opinion and nothing more. \m/

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

A guy here who speaks SENSE and isn't a POE fanboy. A guy who can be unbiased and appreciate both games for what they are and who they cater to instead of the regular POE shills who kick and scream and cry waa waaaa D2 is gold standard waaa waaa mommy mommy waaaaa why they fired David Brevik mommy waaaaaaaaaaa.

Sir I say hats off to you for a well education contribution here if more of the POE community were like you it would be a better place.

"
TriniGamer wrote:
"
Khoranth wrote:
"
TriniGamer wrote:

Gold Standard outsold by casual D3 AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Just to be safe I played D2 last night and I understand now why Blizzard fired the losers who made it, D2 really is the shit standard. LOL

Are you old enough to know that there are millions more people with computers and internet now than when D2 was released? Remember when AoL was the biggest ISP? If not, then you don't even know you're comparing apples to oranges when talking about copies sold. Millions more people in many more countries play games now. You're like comparing the number of TVs sold today to the number of TVs sold 16 years ago. Do you think that number isn't bigger today?
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info