Which Lightning Spells works nicely with traps?

Hey guys,

Need help to decide on some stuff here.
I am planning with a group of friends to play the next HC league with each our elemental trappers. One of my friends will be using Ice Trap, another will be using Firestorm Trap and last one will be using Poison Bladefall Trap. So I am stuck with Lightning, and while I do like Lightning I usually self-cast them so I am not sure about which ones works best with traps.

"

Arc:
Is mostly single-target with good chain potential. Something I like about this skill is the auto-aim and instant-hit function of this skill, plus bolts of lightning always looks cool.

Ball Lightning:
This one is great when self-casted but I feel it is completely waste to put it on a trap and lose the ability to steer the direction the balls will fly.

Lightning Trap:
I honestly know very little about this skill, it seems like it does the full damage each orb, but can you throw those traps in the middle of the boss and have him hit by multiple projectiles? Or is it more meant for AoE with Chain to clear packs?

Lightning Warp:
Not sure if this skill is any good with traps due to the delay in the skill. If I am kiting I can imagine "leaving" behind the initial warp spot and probably miss the second warp spot too.

Orb of Storm:
Seems mostly like a supporting-skill, mainly used in conjunction with another damaging-skill. Is the cloud based on the position of the traps of position of the player casting the traps in order to fire more bolts?

Shock Nova:
Good AoE but seems hard to take advantage of the hitzones when used with trap instead of self-cast.

Spark:
This skill seems very efficient due to the number of sparks flying around, and due to the semi-random aim of the sparks I don't feel like I lose a lot of "control" when I put it on a trap.

Stormcall:
Probably will suffer the same problems are Lightning Warp unless I massively increase AoE or decrease duration.

I am honestly leaning towards Arc, Lightning Trap, Shock Nova and Spark.
The increased chance for Arc and Shock Nova to Shock could be useful for group support.
Lightning Trap being trap could save me an extra support slot.

Is this a good starter template?
http://tiny.cc/bdpgby
Tried getting the most important trap nodes and the life in the surrounding area, is Acrobatics good for HC?

How much life should I aim for, what other kinds of defenses should I get? I am no PoE expert, I usually underestimate how much life I need so I end up stopping around 80.
Should I get the Heart of Thunder, Breath of Lightning, And Static Blow passives?
Would Elemental Overload be worth getting or would I lose overall damage due to the lack of crits? Any other important passives nodes I should get?

Sorry if my grammar/spelling is off in some places, please do tell me though so that I can learn.
Last bumped on May 31, 2016, 4:23:39 AM
Shock Nova + Cluster trap.

Try it.
"The launch day went quite well with just a few small hotfixes to address minor problems."

Heist League - GGG
Arc:
Good damage and crowd clearing capabilities, no problems with lack of targeting, a bit sucky for bosses. Probably a top candidate.

Ball Lightning:
Agreed, it's pretty awful on traps, it needs to be directed where it counts.

Lightning Trap:
A pack clearer, needs chain, fork or pierce to function, extremely sucky for bosses but has a very low cooldown to offset it.

Lightning Warp:
So-so, it works but AoE is smallish and damage is lowish.

Orb of Storm:
You can't support it with a trap.

Shock Nova:
A fairly strong and slow spell which makes it a good trap candidate, centered circular AoEs also work well with traps.

Spark:
It's the neediest spell of the bunch, needs duration, projectile speed and high pierce percentage to shine. Trap eats a support slot so it tends to get crowded fast, it would probably work but selfcasting it would probably be better.

Stormcall:
A fast spell which makes it better for selfcasting and the waiting game can get annoying even with reduced support, especially if it misses due to lack of fine targeting. Also, when you cast three clusters of traps and one storm call goes off it won't automaticalyl detonate all of them for some reason.

So, in my opinion
1. Arc
2. Shock Nova
3. The rest
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Arc will be the smoothest. Don't worry about the tough single targets, your other trap buddies will be using skills which destroy single targets anyway. You would be more than enough only with the shock even if you didn't deal any damage to bosses (and you will, just less than your AOE clear). You should have one multi-curse occultist and coordinate blasphemy - temp chains - enfeeble - vulnerability.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 13, 2016, 11:45:39 AM
Well, Lightning Trap itself is pretty great, albeit a little meh against bosses. Outstanding for clearing though.

(actually, with that new unique claw incoming, i kinda wanna make a lightning-to-cold lightning trapper dw'ing those claws, though i gotta come up with a way to get stay at max frenzies with traps... might have to use three of the -1 frenzy jewels)

Anyway, if you wanna do a custom trap instead, I'd say grab a Sire of Shards and do ball lightning traps. It's a mild pain rolling 3 greens onto it for trap-clustertrap-slower proj (i think the expected is some 380 iirc, i rolled one to 3g2b a week or two ago), but it should work out nicely. I suppose you could drop the slower projectiles though, and just do 2g3b, which is way easier to get.

Or of course you could just do both, not like you have to limit yourself to one trap, especially if you're using a staff for two potential 5/6Ls.
Last edited by Shppy on May 13, 2016, 2:00:31 PM
I have played Lightning Trap to 85 and Shock Nova Trap to 90. Both of them are good but after playing Shock Nova trap to 90, I like the feel of shock nova trap since it has a larger more consistent damage area vs lightning trap.

With Shadow having lightning trap and multiple trap support gem available so early I find myself 90% of the time leveling with those if I am playing a spellcasting Shadow.

During testing attempts prior to Perandus I tried out all the different lightning spell combinations as traps and felt that shock nova + trap + cluster trap simply performed better and overall felt better than all the others.

Arc - You will normally have to throw more than 1 cluster to clear a group of mobs depending on pack sizes since chaining is limited and damage falls off.

Storm Call - Looks cool but the delay combined with the traps not always triggering in unison will slow you down.

Spark - Too inconsistent. Putting it with the trap support gem isn't worth losing a better support for self-casting.

What's so nice about shock nova + trap is that you get overlapping blast radii from each trap set so the greater your increased AOE, the higher your damage will be. This is why you will be able to toss 1 set, BOOM dead pack. Throw another set, BOOM next pack dead, repeat through the map.
how about a lightning arrow trap combined with chin sol as the trap is the one who fires it gets the more bow damage from chin in the same manner as in this yt video
"
uffert wrote:
how about a lightning arrow trap combined with chin sol as the trap is the one who fires it gets the more bow damage from chin in the same manner as in this yt video

Cuz targeting on LA traps (like most of the cone-of-arrows clones except Tshot and VBA) sucks. The volley doesn't intelligently target groups, it just fires a very wide spread making sure the center arrow is sent at the triggering target; it doesn't really work like you'd hope.

Now blast rain and rain of arrows traps? Those work beautifully.
Last edited by Shppy on May 14, 2016, 4:16:10 PM
Lots of good suggestions here, I will test them out on standard though I don't have any trappers there I should be able to get one up before the new leagues are out so I can test them out.

Thanks a lot guys. =)
I respecced one of my past characters to a lightning trapper (using CI).

I used Arc traps, Shock Nova traps, and Lightning Warp Traps. It works fairly well. All were supported with Cluster Trap to take advantage of Saboteur. (This allows the shock novas to overlap, all the arcs to hit the same target, etc)

That said, I've been rolling with a chin sol trapper towards the end of perandus, and the the damage is far better (Blast Rain, RoA, Puncture, and Bladefall traps). I could probably throw out a setup or two but I really like the ability to toss a bunch of different stuff depending on the situation.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info