Why is volatile blood in the game?

"
As a range I don't give a fuck obviously but when you're melee that's a terrible terrible time and melee isn't exactly competing with range or ever anyway lol

Agreed. For melee builds Volatile Blood is one of the most stupid mechanics in this game. This shit needs to be removed. Can't be blocked or spell dodged either, so good luck when some map mods make a volatile explosion hit for 6k+.

Just so damn stupid - there is OBVIOUSLY a big problem with melee in this game so instead of making useless fixes like Fortify gem that everyone is abusing, including ranged builds - just start by removing Volatile Blood.
Last edited by Ceryneian on May 13, 2016, 12:59:15 AM
This ties back into the ongoing problem that whenever GGG tries to make a mechanic to help melee character survivability it gets misappropriated by ranged characters due to the game's flexibility.

Alternatively they could make far shot birds do 500% more damage, far shot is probably the only mechanic in the whole game that actively punishes ranged over melee.
"
There are actually some decent options for melee to use...

Yes, there are.
But the OP's point is still valid: This is a mechanic that specifically hurts melee players, while ranged players are not affected. And that is just silly in a game where rangers already have all the advantages over melee characters.

It should be changed to affect ranged more than melee. If you just add a delay, then it's no different to bearers. So that's no solution.

Maybe volatiles should cast an equivalent of silence for ranged attacks :)
May your maps be bountiful, exile
Might as well remove all magic/rare mods on bosses since players want every danger removed. Just keep the bonus xp et the shiny color, but remove the mods effects, so we can afk whirling blade ae os up to 100. Woud be nice to also remove attacks from mobs, it's an inconvenience, they sometimes can stun me during py whirling blades + right click.
Bearers place the charge at the location of their death. If volatile placed the charge at the feet of whoever killed the monster it would be different mechanically (and the scaling is different).
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
"
Dawmz wrote:
Might as well remove all magic/rare mods on bosses since players want every danger removed. Just keep the bonus xp et the shiny color, but remove the mods effects, so we can afk whirling blade ae os up to 100. Woud be nice to also remove attacks from mobs, it's an inconvenience, they sometimes can stun me during py whirling blades + right click.

I'm asking for one specific mod that's fucking stupid to be removed and are you seriously trying to justify it's a acceptable danger AS melee? Have you ever done end game melee? Or are you going to be most of the range that can't admit melee is fucking garbage right now due to the dangers it has compared us rangers.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on May 13, 2016, 2:28:24 AM
Yes volatile is unfair to melee. The answer is not to remove volatile, it's to (re)add lethal danger unfair to ranged.
Volatile blood is why I stopped playing my facebreaker. Unarmed doesn't have as many options as melee builds with weapons, and the range is much lower.

Even if I was careful the ranged players in coop aren't - they just shoot at everything and don't give a shit if it gets you killed.

The damage ranges of volatile blood are also pretty extreme. There's a lot of big scaling opportunities based on the monster it's activated off of, making it a very unpredictable damage spike. And it ignores dodge, spell dodge, block, spell block, evasion, armour. I'm pretty sure it ignores fortify too because it's not a hit.

It's melee centric damage that sometimes deals no damage, and sometimes 1shots you, in a meta where player damage is so high relative to monster health that you don't even have time to read any affixes (unless you stop using skills, which only works solo), that bypasses most layers of melee defense and can be activated by other players actions. I think it's fair to call that lame design in a game where a single death at high level can remove 6+ hours of XP progression.

Calling this lame design is not synonymous with wanting an easier game. I think GGG can do a better job of creating challenge.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
"
Nuro wrote:
Honestly, there just needs to be a short delay after they die before the volatile explosion occurs, and some visual indication that they're going to explode (and possibly a colour corresponding to the element) before it occurs.

This would mean melee has an opportunity to quickly use a movement skill or just run away before the monster explodes, and that ranged players not paying attention can potentially die from rushing through the pack they just killed.

Fix so easy, that I'm surprised GGG haven't done this yet. Lol. Fixes both problems with one change.

Of GGG of please? D:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
I agree, there should be a short delay before exploding. Like The Burning Man.

This would be really cool. Larger AoE but delayed explosion.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info