Death by rubberbanding - how common?

Man, it's like we warped back in time 2 years!

1. Denial:
"PoE doesn't have rubberbanding"

2. Blame the customer or his ISP:
"through you or your ISP, something that is impossible for GGG to do anything about"

3. Resignation:
"it's a technical impossibility to fix desync"

Am I glad you guys don't work at GGG! They've once already shown us that they can actually fix such issues. They just need enough feedback telling them it is an issue.

Now stop white knighting and enjoy your smooth gameplay if you have the luck of a great connection, good ISP and lucky HW/driver setup. But don't pretend those of us who have trouble with POE don't exist or are too stupid to setup their PCs. These issues have become waaay worse since ascendancy, so there is definitely something GGG can fix to improve the situation.
May your maps be bountiful, exile
If noone is streaming / downloading at my place I have NO rubberbanding that's a fact not to defend GGG.

I have a good internet connection but I also have to connect to a server that is quite far from my place and since lockstep cam into play I never experienced rubberbanding unless someone was using heavily the bandwith.
Well for me its ok to get teled back and forth with my Maurd as its kinda hard to kill him but for my sin its a different story.When i use whilrwind blade to escape a tight situation and i get teled back but hey i aint playing hardcore so doesn't bother me that much i have minimal lag and i am from South Africa so my average latency to EU are 300ms and to USA are 1 k ms(idk where the servers situated)but i dont have that bad of lag

Only problem i do experience after playing for some time anything from 2-5h i get one DC and usually when i am far in with no waypoint now oh my gawd that annoys me(Just happend few min ago xD)
After GGG introduced Lockstep mode - haven't had a single desync-caused death ever, since, well, this mode makes desync non-existent.

In Predictive mode however, it can still happen, but they also considerably improved this mode so it is not nearly as bad as it was before.

Unfortunately with 300ms ping you can't do much - this is really bad, and makes using Lockstep nearly impossible as having 300ms delay on all actions is just awful, so Predictive is the only way.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
I rubberband all the time when I'm on a PC with a bad Internet connection. I never rubberband, and only occasionally stutter, on the PC with good Internet.

"
treffnix wrote:

Am I glad you guys don't work at GGG! They've once already shown us that they can actually fix such issues. They just need enough feedback telling them it is an issue.

... the hell? I'm guessing you just phrased this in a different manner than what you meant. But like, really? I guess the doctors just need enough feedback telling them cancer is an issue too, right?

Also, did you really just imply "blame your ISP" is not a valid factor to consider when you are having an Internet problem? Like... My Internet Service Provider has no role in whether I lag or not at all?

If I rip out my mailbox, fill my yard with pit traps to a dungeon of doom, can I blame USPS for not delivering my mail?

Anyways, perturbed reaction to a reaction aside, I'm no netcode wizard, but I'm sure the reality is something like, it is possible to improve desync and decrease rubberbanding, and most likely GGG are working on it behind the scenes as they always have, but the fastest way to see the greatest improvements in your online play is to get a better Internet connection. It's just more practical that way.

...back to being perturbed. It's GGG's responsibility to make sure I'm able to have a smooth and accurate game experience when it takes 1-3 seconds for signals to travel between my computer and the server and half of them are lost to the void?
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
I still remember [Removed by support] PoE whiteknights telling people it's impossible to fix desync, or telling everyone to play BASED ON DESYNC 100% of the time or GTFO OF OUR BELOVED POE.

Good thing GGG wasn't so [Removed by support] and actually did something that will help this fucking game.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Eben_GGG on May 6, 2016, 8:00:37 AM
"
adghar wrote:
"
treffnix wrote:

... the hell? I'm guessing you just phrased this in a different manner than what you meant. But like, really? I guess the doctors just need enough feedback telling them cancer is an issue too, right?

Not sure what you mean. When they improved the predictive mode, desync was no longer an issue for me. It was almost completely gone, and that's good enough for me. Now it's back, and the doctors need to get back to work fixing the new cancer they introduced with ascendancy.

"
adghar wrote:

Also, did you really just imply "blame your ISP" is not a valid factor to consider...

It is a factor, yes, but not the only one. See above: It was better after some fixes from GGG back then. And other games are less sensitive to network delays, so - once again - GGG must just get their rear into gear and find the new bugs in the netcode. Maybe trust the client a little more or introduce ways of sync'ing the RNGs on things like stun and pathing. This was discussed ad nauseam back in the original days of desync, so let's not start up the "GGG can't do anything, it is an inherent problem with networks" vs "but other games don't have it" discussion...
May your maps be bountiful, exile
Only one since 2012
Happen after lockstep was added because cant turn on due "high" ping (160-200) and laggy league Server due High popularity
my english sux.
"
treffnix wrote:
Now stop white knighting and enjoy your smooth gameplay if you have the luck of a great connection, good ISP and lucky HW/driver setup. But don't pretend those of us who have trouble with POE don't exist or are too stupid to setup their PCs. These issues have become waaay worse since ascendancy, so there is definitely something GGG can fix to improve the situation.

I play on lockstep mode.

I use a wireless connection. I do get lots of stutter sometimes because wireless connections are bad.

I have flatmates. I get stutter sometimes when they are downloading.

I have other programs that like to use up bandwidth. I get stutter sometimes when they are running.

I have experienced rubberbanding on lockstep despite people saying it's impossible. (For eg: My client though an item was on the close side of a frost wall, but the server thought it was on the far side. Another EG: enemies that use mirror arrow sometimes leave inactive clones.)

I do not blame GGG for these things. It is obviously my connection.

This is what you need to do:

1) Always play with the lag indicator showing. (Press F1 twice.)
2) When you are lagging or rubberbanding, look at the lag indicator. What is your ping? Did you just have a ping spike?
3) If your ping is less than 100, and you are lagging/rubberbanding, then that is useful for GGG to know. That definitely would be a coding issue. However this will probably never happen, because the issue is almost certainly your connection to the server.
4) If you are experiencing high ping that's not your fault, then GGG wants to know that too. It's still an issue with your connection, but it might be an ISP issue that they can weigh in on, eg: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1656305
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 7:05:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info