Why does everyone say the economy is broken in standard ?

They probably mean you can't do what's possible in a fresh new league - start from 0 and make a decent bankroll selling fairly common items in the first week or two.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
People have this notion that everything they pick up should be valuable. Which is true, but they don't understand that it means they should stop picking up garbage. Instead they go to the new leagues where garbage sells for the first 3 weeks.

Wanna know the joke? About a month and a half in, prices pretty much stabilize at around STDs prices anyway.

Tldr: people can't sell their T5 rolled dual resist and 64 life belts for more than 2 chaos so the economy sucks.
IGN: NoahsArChen

"Oh awesome, this guy posted his current gear. Let me find him an upgrade!" ~Said no one ever.
Never played standard but have made many sales in the hundreds of exalted with my hardcore league items. For exemple, sold a talisman 100% light to fire damage for 400 exalted, a lightning coil vaaled at the end +1 to gems for 250 exalted. + additional arrow rigwald quiver another 250 exalted.

Of course you can't expect to make sales from non end-game viable items in standard very much since the market is flooded and items can't be relegated else where.

As said by above users is true. You can sell almost anything in couple first weeks of a new league(moreso in hardcore). But as more time passes, more items flood the market when the majority of active players hit the maps.
Here's my take... just an opinion:

Beginning players are faced with a game that's difficult for them and the best way to make your character better is to buy high end items that are priced out of their range. Instead of learning to play with more basic items, they cry foul and say the game is broken.

Once they develop skills and learn the game, they find that the items they find in the game are essentially worthless... because everyone else can find them too. The items they drooled over as beginners aren't just random drops that anyone can expect to find... they're either crafted or they've been filtered out of millions of drops as being special. They are essentially unobtainable outside of the trade pool. That's why people trade for them.

So people who say the economy is broken are really only referring to the fact the the economy and their expectations aren't in agreement.
I play self-found so I don't really care about the economy. From my experience in multiple games though, more often than not "X is broken" really means "X does not work the way I want it to". I would say PoE's economy is better than most because currency items have an inherent value as crafting materials. Other games need artificial currency sinks to prevent rampant inflation, with varying degrees of success.
"
databeaver wrote:
I play self-found so I don't really care about the economy. From my experience in multiple games though, more often than not "X is broken" really means "X does not work the way I want it to". I would say PoE's economy is better than most because currency items have an inherent value as crafting materials. Other games need artificial currency sinks to prevent rampant inflation, with varying degrees of success.

I don't like it when people use the term 'inflation' for Standard. Inflation means a steady increase of prices.

We can talk about inflation or deflation in temp leagues whose economies undergo substantial changes every week. For example, exalt price inflates until the middle of the league and then deflates by the end. Prices in Standard are much steadier.

What most people mean when they talk about 'deflation' is the huge price gap between average and top-tier items. Everything which isn't top-notch endgame is cheap to the point of being nearly free and it coiuldn't be otherwise - Standard has accumulated items for, what, two years and a half now? About the steep prices of endgame items - that's also a given. Players have a lot of currency there and a lot of people want a few items, of course they will be expensive.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:
I don't like it when people use the term 'inflation' for Standard. Inflation means a steady increase of prices.

We can talk about inflation or deflation in temp leagues whose economies undergo substantial changes every week. For example, exalt price inflates until the middle of the league and then deflates by the end. Prices in Standard are much steadier.

In real-world economy inflation is usually measured over months or years, not weeks. A typical real-world inflation rate applied to PoE economy would mean that the ex:chaos ratio would change by one chaos per year. I haven't kept an eye on the situation but I'd bet even standard economy isn't that stable.
"Stuff I want is priced too high. Stuff I have doesn't sell or sells for very little."

At least that's what I see when when I hear somebody say the economy is broken.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
cause everyone selling very cheaply
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
cause they want you in their league and tribalism.

I play all league and think std is healthiest. stable prices. sales every-time i log unfortualty sometimes too many sales when I have to switch back and forth between leagues.

I absolutely love this answer

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info