And now for something completely different - Plummeting Cats and Ursa

So I was driving a couple of days ago and listening to RadioLab on NPR. The topic was "Why We Fall" and one segment discussed research on plummeting cats. They talked about how, in a 5 month period in summer Manhatten NY 132 cats fell from varying heights which is almost a "rain of cats". 22 cats had fallen from 8 stories or higher and all but one survived. 1 fell from a height of 32 stories and survived. Their research revealed that cats that fell from 5 to 9 stories had the worst injuries. It turns out their terminal velocity is about 60 mph. Some people used to be involved in defenestration of cats (I had to look that word up).

Anyway, I immediately wondered how high a Plummeting Ursa is falling from (weird, I know). Most of the time these cute but deadly little bears are falling and there are no trees nearby to explain where they are falling from. (I know that the Talosian overlords of Wraeclast can inject any number of virtual realities into an exile's mind.) I also pondered: what is the terminal velocity of a Plummeting Ursa? Are they only plummeting down on exiles? Do some of them get injured when they hit the ground (I've never seen any injured ones)?

Maybe I'm going mashugana.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last bumped on May 5, 2016, 4:41:23 PM
Well we know they only drop on tourists or people not from the area

I've never paid attention to their speed when falling from the sky but maybe there is a place far away that launches them (geyser maybe?) and they actually have a limited capability to glide which they use to prey on exiles from tremendous heights?
I had a search and this appears the most likely prototype for a source.

Spoiler
Looking for a mature guild to play with?
http://www.guildmedieval.com
Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.

I understand this is a role playing game, but I don't think the best role to play should be shopkeeper. - AlteraxPoe
I can only speak for myself but I make sure that they are injured upon hitting the ground.
Sound the dread alarm, through the primal body! Sound the reveille, to be or not to be. Rise! Stay the grand finale! Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue. One drive to stay alive! Elementary, muster every fiber. Mobilize! Stay alive!
I know they call them Plummeting Ursas but to me it seems like they are jumping down from somewhere not falling.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
perhaps those big gorilla things chuck them.

Or perhaps punt them. Who knows, maybe it's their national sport, Ursa punting.
FEAR.IT.

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Hmm, I'm not sure about their exact speed, but they hit the ground with enough force to create a small shockwave...
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 I also pondered: what is the terminal velocity of a Plummeting Ursa?

What do you mean? Karui or Ezomite ursa?
Save a Carrot, Eat a Rabbit!
Last edited by LazarusQ on May 5, 2016, 8:37:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info