A thread for stupid things to say which sound really smart

Flag Burning
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
All the stupid inspirational quotes used by fitness enthusiasts. 'No pain - no gain', 'never give up', 'what's your excuse?', etc. etc.

They trigger me so fucking hard.
Reminds me of "110% effort." (Thank fuck Sterling Archer says something slightly different in Season 7.)

Ah, yes. Another good one. Often used by footballers too.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
My point is that, if I didn't float but all the books say I floated, then all the books say I floated.

absolutely, on some level thats part of what that quote means, obviously applies beyond history to the present and maybe even the future and it takes an "if a tree falls..." swipe at the existence of the you that couldnt float. Off the top of my head a paraphrased quote from the same book, 'reality only exists in the mind', what you describe is an aspect of that view playing out in practice.

It is a stupid thing in terms of the large portion of the audience Obama is talking to dont make a distinction between history and the past, would be horrified to think in those terms, which he knows and he counts on. Not stupid from his point of view or the people who get the full meaning of what hes saying, but there are stupid people who take something from that which does not make sense, and yet they believe it does. So I think thats where aims coming from, which is fair play i guess.
"Reality only exists in the mind" would qualify for this thread. Now, if I changed that slightly to "Knowledge of reality exists in the mind," then it's true.

Massive amounts of bullshit thought have been labeled "philosophy" and glorified because of pseudologic in the general form of "if knowledge of reality exists in the mind, then said knowledge must have been reached through some form of deductive process." Attempting to explain this process leads to all kinds of false conclusions. The more palatable philosophers have historically dismissed the problem by making "existence exists" an axiom, which is a cop-out but at least settles on no incorrect conclusions.

The truth is far simpler, and works entirely inductively: we have senses to sense the world around us, and through repeated trial and error we have formed the conclusion that reality exists, and developed a model for it. "Existence exists" cannot be proved because it is a proper scientific theory, strengthened through experimentation via the scientific method. This is why the Matrix movies were so cool; they challenge our oldest and most fundamental inductive conclusion, something which technically we have never proven, and never will.

Holding firm to one's inductive reasoning, truly believing that your theories are correct, that is faith. Without faith, only hypotheses remain.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 6, 2016, 1:04:32 PM
I dunno, just go watch the ending of any episode of grays anatomy
Oblivious
"Traps don't fit ARPGs because you can't kill them, nor build around them."
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
peace force.
good grief.
great depression.
larger half.
even odds.
original copy.
exact estimate.
found missing.
act naturally.
liquid gas.
impossible solution.
intense apathy.
unbiased opinion.
open secret.
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"Traps don't fit ARPGs because you can't kill them, nor build around them."
Yet simultaneously: "Traps unfair for CI/LL builds."
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. - henry ford
The budget was unlimited, but I exceeded it. - donald trump
I want my fair share... and that's all of it! - charles koch
‎We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it. - dwight eisenhower

holy war.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"Reality only exists in the mind" would qualify for this thread. Now, if I changed that slightly to "Knowledge of reality exists in the mind," then it's true.

Massive amounts of bullshit thought have been labeled "philosophy" and glorified because of pseudologic in the general form of "if knowledge of reality exists in the mind, then said knowledge must have been reached through some form of deductive process." Attempting to explain this process leads to all kinds of false conclusions. The more palatable philosophers have historically dismissed the problem by making "existence exists" an axiom, which is a cop-out but at least settles on no incorrect conclusions.

The truth is far simpler, and works entirely inductively: we have senses to sense the world around us, and through repeated trial and error we have formed the conclusion that reality exists, and developed a model for it. "Existence exists" cannot be proved because it is a proper scientific theory, strengthened through experimentation via the scientific method. This is why the Matrix movies were so cool; they challenge our oldest and most fundamental inductive conclusion, something which technically we have never proven, and never will.

Holding firm to one's inductive reasoning, truly believing that your theories are correct, that is faith. Without faith, only hypotheses remain.

ya, I mean you have to start somewhere that can be built on right? or you can never get past descartes. A bit like physics in the sense of we know some of what we are taking for granted is probably wrong, but we dont know in what way. We are still getting usable data from what were doing and without those assumptions we dont have a place to start making further guesses from to prod at. So we just have to take our best guess on faith and look forward from there because thats the only thing thats practical.

Theres an interesting balance in there between reality and the reality we perceive I guess on some levels.

The reason I brought up the "the law of gravity is nonsense, if I think I float and you think I float, then it happens" and "reality only exists in the mind" was because they were from 1984 which is a book in some ways dedicated to the idea that history and the past are related but most certainly not the same thing. I felt there was a certain double barreled communication to the Obama quote that fitted the bill. Im guessing youre a far more widely read man than myself so Im sure youve consumed both the book and the film at some point and probably know a lot more about it than me tbh.

When they talk about reality existing in the mind in that book, its obviously a slightly different angle to a standard philosophical position in that what theyre sort of saying is that the only reality that matters in the context they are talking about is that which is in the mind and to truly shape that you must be able to fully believe in stupid things like that statement itself, to know things are right which are not. I guess a little more poetic political psychology than philosophy or science. Though theres elements to the ideas explored in the novel which kind of touch on and are supported by everything youre saying.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info