Is my tree broken and unfixable ? how can i fix it ?

Hello !

I started POE 3 or 4 years ago, played 6 months, stopped and got back to it two weeks ago.

I like Hardcore for a couple of reasons more than normal mode.

I started a flame totem templar, died lvl 39 against dominus (i fucking ran the opposite of him when it ran blood).

Now i am a lvl 47 Scion and as Flame totem seem really reliable, i am going for it one more time. For now the items are self found.

However, as Scion, i feel the class is simply wrong for Flame totem. Mostly spending my points to get in the templar Area.

I spend 10 points in the "energy shield start" of scion, and many more to get the totem passives.

Wondering if i should try to "refund passives" on the ES part in favor of the 3 nodes giving life regen.

Note: with the actual totem like tree, if i take a levelled spell with spell echo, the damage tooltip is much bigger than the totem one and that's one of the reasons that i am worried about my tree choices.

Or maybe you have a better idea / suggestion ?
Or maybe you'l convince me that the 10 points into ES are fine ?

My tree:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAAAAASzCGcLYQ18EMwhwyj6KU8qEyymMtE3gzwFPC1Bh0VHV5RXyVfhWOVaK2aeaPJ7IHyDgpuCx4PMjHaQ1po7njyf36IAo_Km669stzG3PsBmxq7Vpti96-7tPO988B_4k_ll-ej60v4K_oc=?accountName=schmurtz&characterName=kwisatzzz

My char:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/schmurtz/characters/kwisatzzz
Last edited by schmurtz on May 4, 2016, 7:56:33 AM
Last bumped on May 9, 2016, 7:44:31 AM
Don't worry, your tree doesn't look too bad. It is certainly fixable. I played a Scion Flame Totem character myself when this league started and it turned out very good. The Deadeye Ascendant class is pretty good because it adds an additional projectile to your flame totem.

Here the changes I would ake to your current tree. I dropped the Energy Shield nodes from your starting zone. The Area of Effect nodes from the templar zone doesn't benefit flame totem in any way. I also spend a few more points to get the Devotion Life nodes.

Flame Totem's tooltip always seem to be kinda low, don't be irritated. Try to get through the normal and cruel Labyrinth as soon as you feel comfortable doing it. The Deadeye Ascendant will be a very big buff.
Last edited by kahzin on May 4, 2016, 9:04:43 AM
On mobile i do not see the whole tree, but i like very much your adjustments of the start. Projectiles nodes benefits totem ?
Awesome.

I though totem had a bigger range with increased aoe nodes.

Thanks Man, ill check deeper later
Flame totem fires lots of mini projectiles one after the other. Kind of like how barrage works. They always pierce, and have a flamey effect so it looks like an AoE skill, but it's really a projectile skill.

Also, the projectiles are only alive for a certain amount of time. So if you want to increase the range of flame totem, you need to increase projectile speed.
Try the 'faster projectiles' support gem on it and you will be very happy I think.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on May 5, 2016, 8:58:17 PM
A must for flame totem build:

then use a wand with high projectile speed too, like:

and you won't need faster proj, unless in very specific occasion where you want to fight at the highest range possible (low level map clear or atziri trio for example).
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on May 6, 2016, 10:08:10 AM
As an addition to Panini, the Winds of Change gauntlets are splendid for flame totems. Proj speed, proj damage, life. You can use a proper amulet if you have them.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Learned a lot here (like reading the spell tags .. "projectile"..), adjusted my tree already since kahzin suggestion and that's much better.

I also felt like i was looting too much ranger stuffs so i used the new league to reroll into a "work in progress ranger" (looks shitty too right now.)

And i started to loot things usefull for Flame totem .. like the amulet you just mentionned and that i did not realized could be usefull (have it in mu stash tho)

Good to know that proj speed can roll on wands ..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info