Labyrinth, movespeed and movement skills

Isn't the whole point of Labyrinth is somewhat defeated by not placing restrictions on the characters running it?

Currently we have a Labyrinth full of traps that deal damage proportionally to the player's health, so you can't just blast through them by having a really high EHP. That design pit was avoided.

However, allowing the use of movement skills and not capping the movespeed was an enormous mistake. This is where Lab design falls short.

Either a really high movespeed, 300+% or more, and / or movement skills, straight up let you ignore almost all the traps and just mindlessly run through them. Trap timing isn't designed for such shenanigans, and trap placement isn't really designed with movement skills in mind.

Now, if by some chance you still get caught, what do you do?
Pot through it of course! By having 2-3 health potions a player can just ignore pretty much all the trap combinations, potions are enough to refill lost health when you do get caught. Of course, CI build's don't have that luxury, so they still have to watch out, everyone else gets a free pass.
Low life? Not a problem! Remove auras, become hybrid, remove high ES pieces that increase the damage you take, and voila, pot through traps like a real life-based build. Switch back to LL on Izario fights as needed.

So, what should have been a thrilling experience where you had to carefully plan your moves in order to avoid the traps and not die, degraded into a speedcontest with the players ignoring all the traps, as it is the most efficient way of completing the Lab.

If the best way to complete some content is to ignore the largest part of it I think there is a problem. All that time which was spent planning out Lab layouts, trap placement, trap combinations and timings, you can now just ignore it all and happily zerg through the whole thing without giving it a second thought.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on May 4, 2016, 4:40:01 AM
Last bumped on May 7, 2016, 8:26:43 PM
Yeah the shitdesign highlevel tank with shitload of def has to fear for his life and a 300%ms shitgear char is untouchable

Switch all ms skills and effects off and wait for the lab is so easy guys get gud come out of their holes

Was wondering when i saw those labrun videos ...why doesnt he get hit
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on May 4, 2016, 5:14:22 AM
You're drunk go home.
"
So, what should have been a thrilling experience where you had to carefully plan your moves in order to avoid the traps and not die, degraded into a speedcontest with the players ignoring all the traps, as it is the most efficient way of completing the Lab.

It's called optimization and the same concept applies to speed runs on t9 gorges with a cheese build. Making the traps more dangerous would only cause more outrage from the community.

Easy labs = people whine about movespeed/movement + SSD
hard labs = people whine about overtuned game

A good solution is allow multiple tiers of labs where the harder labs punish clearspeed builds but give better rewards. One of the biggest failings of the map system is that its actually optimal to run easy yellow maps than hard red maps.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214

I run lab all day, that's all I do.

Since 2 days I have noticed traps to be much longer. Are they stealth-changing it to counter the I run through the traps and chug potions?

I have noticed many changes in the past few days that weren't there before.

Maybe its just RNG but hell those traps are much longer now.

For myself I think its balanced.
Clearly you haven't been playing video games much. Cheesing likes this happens in every game ever. There are always players who want the rewards for the least possible effort. Online games just expose players to the community more so cheeses gain wider publicity.
I'll quote ansemlolin from reddit:

"
Is quantifying the "Score" of a lab run a difficult task?
Say, besides solely considering clearing time, taking other attributes into score calculation sounds fair.
e.g. damage taken / damage dealt / secrets found / number of mobs killed

That would have been a much more interesting system for the ladder side of the Lab.
Like, each hit by a trap reduces the score, get hit 10 times and your run is disqualified.

"
It's called optimization and the same concept applies to speed runs on t9 gorges with a cheese build. Making the traps more dangerous would only cause more outrage from the community.

Yeah, but why put so much work into creating a Lab just for it to turn into a shitty zergfest contest? They could have made an endless Ledge with random traps popping out here and there, effect would have been the same, time spent on development - considerably less.

Also, I am not in any way talking about making traps more dangerous.
I am talking about removing the cheesy ways of completely bypassing/ignoring them.

Take for example spike traps.

A "proper" way to bypass them would be to stop, notice the pattern in their timing, and correctly move on the ones that are getting back down.

Does anyone do that? No! You just fire up a quicksilver / use WB or whatever, even Vaal haste maybe, and zoom through everything. Got unlucky and got spiked? Not a problem, flask through and carry on.

Last edited by Shajirr on May 4, 2016, 9:57:48 AM
Teacher! They're not playing the game like I want them to! Teacher! Do something!
"
Vapala wrote:

Maybe its just RNG but hell those traps are much longer now.

For myself I think its balanced.

Doesn't matter how long trap chains are if you can easily bypass them.
300-400% movespeed and you're golden
In my book that is not the only problem with the labyrinth. And the sooner they just get rid of it as mandatory content the better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info