How to build more durability for a witch?

Hello forum! Noob here! So far I've enjoyed this game, until I reached the Merciless difficulty... My problem is that my character (a lvl 56 witch) dies a lot... she can get one shoted just by an elite...I'm not talking about bosses where I get so frustrated about how many times I die I just spam the buttons...

Now I've checked some guides here and there but all of them are so complex and with no info about this topic of durability...

Here is my page with my character setup and skill tree https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/evil4you/characters
As you can see I've focused on lightning damage. The mob clear is good, I summon 3 zombies and a chaos golem so that they can attract some aggro and I just spam ark or spark... except that there are times when angry mobs just pile up and aggro me and doesn't take much to kill me...

You might see a few gems that are weirdly inputed but those are there only for gathering xp and leveling up...

So any word of advice for a fellow exile would be much appreciated. :)
Last bumped on May 3, 2016, 7:40:42 AM
Hello! Your character profile tab is private by default. Head here to unhide it, then I'll come back with advice.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Done! You can check it out now.
wall_of_text
There are a number of factors you have to think of.

The first and most important one is just having enough hitpoints. You should aim for at least 150% increased life, I prefer 170-ish. If you get all life nodes near the Templar, Witch and Shadow starting areas, you can easily surpass that.

When playing Witch and when you reach the 60s and onward, it's generally more efficient to use the ES nodes combined with the high intelligence you get from the northern part of the skill tree. ES gear is a bit more expensive but with good reason - it's simply more effective at building a large hitpoint pool. With good gear and some leveling, you could easily reach 8-9k energy shield with a much smaller passive point investment than what you would need to reach the same numbers with life.

If you don't like CI and lowlife, you can also play hybrid - get just the most effective life and ES nodes from the passive tree, look for hybrid ES/life gear and use Vaal Pact, Ghost Reaver and life leech to keep your ES up. You will be vulnerable to chaos damage and you'll have to learn to be extremely careful with chaos damage sources and maybe carry an amethyst flask, but apart from that, hybrid is a pretty good budget version.

There also are mind over matter - eldritch battery - ghost reaver/zealot's oath comboes, or just pure mind over matter builds, but here it gets a bit too technical and IMO you should steer clear of them for the time being.

Once you have secured a decent hitpoint pool, you have to think of other damage mitigation or avoidance mechanics.

You can go about that in a number of ways:

1. Rely on just a decent baseline hitpoint pool and having a ton of damage - killing everything before it reaches you. This is perhaps the strongest approach for softcore as you'll have excellent clear speeds and just the occasional death here and there won't be the end of the world.

2. Gear a strong endgame character with a large ES pool (CI or lowlife) and rely on a ton of damage with instant leech via Vaal Pact and Ghost Reaver. If something doesn't oneshot you, it can't kill you. That's a leech tank and some of the strongest builds in the game function like that, for example cast on crit dischargers. You can also be a hardcaster. This, however, is an expensive option and generally not recommended for new players.

3. Grab the Occultist +1 curse node and/or the Whispers of Doom node, grab Leadership for 30% radius and run with blasphemy - temporal chains and enfeeble. Once you get some level and quality on the Temp Chains and especially if you get the curse effectiveness nodes, this becomes extremely fucking strong. The monsters can barely move and you rarely get hit at all. Unique bosses have reduced curse effectiveness but it's stron even against them. This is in my opinion the strongest and most effective defensive option in the game at the moment if we consider how much you're getting out of a relatively modest investment.

4. Play Necromancer, get Mistress of Sacrifice, get the Sanctuary and/or Deflection clusters, link a mid-level CwdT with Bone Offering - Increased Duration and a level one CwdT with Tempest Shield-increased duration and you'll get almost maxed block and some spell block for just a few passive points. Another highly efficient defensive mechanic. Can be scaled further to get max block and max spell block with items like Rathpith Globe, Rainbowstride, Stone of Lazhwar and reckless defense jewels.

5. Be a summoner and let your minions do the tanking.

These are just the basics and what I can think of - there are many other tricks, details and approaches to getting survivability. It also depends a lot on your gameplay - proper flask usage and positioning make a huge difference unless you simply have too little hitpoints when there isn't much to be done.

edit: wrote this before you made your profile public, having a look now

edit 2: OK, got it. It's simple, you have no life to speak of and your ES is also pretty low, not to mention that pure ES builds become barely viable from level 60 onwards and actually strong after 80. To be blunt, your build is completely messed up. Would recommend starting a new build and following a guide from the Witch section advertised as newbie-friendly and cheap. I don't think there's too much that can be done with your current build.

Energy Shield is an endgame mechanic. You always start by building a decent life pool first and gradually transitioning to life-ES hybrid or pure ES after level 60. Never go full ES at lower levels.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 3, 2016, 3:46:16 AM
Well, Bars nailed a lot of stuff, although I don't agree that the build is screwed. But yes, you seem to be making a really common and pretty reasonable mistake for newer players: "I want to play glass cannon, so I don't need to focus on defenses". True for most games, completely false for PoE. Glass cannons still need to put a lot of effort into their defenses in order to survive a stiff breeze. Don't worry, the playstyle will still be exactly what you're looking for.

For specifics: you take to take some life nodes right away. It's sort of up to you whether you want to go pure life or life/ES hybrid (I wouldn't recommend pure ES for now as it's relatively difficult to acquire the required items), but you absolutely need to get some defenses going. For starters, you could spec out of the "Breath of Lightning" side of the lightning wheel, and the path through "Lightning Walker" (taking an int node instead to maintain pathing), and spend it on life.

Also, you need life and elemental resistances on gear. These are both going to be more important than ES at this point (and waaaay more important if you don't want to go hybrid). Just pick up random rare armour you find and wear anything with decent life and hopefully some resists (doesn't even have to be ES based).

Those would be the main things to get started on IMO.

By the way, Spell Echo is really good. Faster Casting is not. Swap em! :D Also, you're supporting Herald of Thunder with Increased Critical Strikes, which increases its mana reservation for very little reward.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on May 3, 2016, 3:54:28 AM
Well, there's probably a way to salvage the build, it would just require so much hassle I would personally prefer a fresh start. Been there, done that - first ES build I tried was a complete failure as I didn't understand how ES builds work and tried to pull it off in Cruel. Deleted the character. Anyway, yes, theoretically you could save your build, especially if you have some chaos orbs to buy decent life + resist gear. If you don't, I really wouldn't bother trying.

"
viperesque wrote:
But yes, you seem to be making a really common and pretty reasonable mistake for newer players: "I want to play glass cannon, so I don't need to focus on defenses". True for most games, completely false for PoE. Glass cannons still need to put a lot of effort into their defenses in order to survive a stiff breeze.

What he said. PoE is counter-intuitive in many ways. For example, a build which invests 50% of its points in defensive nodes is actually a glass cannon. The most effective way to scale damage in this game is from items, links, active and support gems and some highly effective damage nodes from the passive tree (but never all you can grab :D). Most of your passive points should be aimed at just getting the baseline life or ES pool.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 3, 2016, 4:26:27 AM
Hello! Thank you for your fast and VERY detailed answers! Nice community! I have to read over a few times what you guys wrote and I'll think for a direction for my witch... though I don't want to give up on her just yet! I don't have much currency left so I think I'll just farm the lower areas and grab some gear with life and shield stats...

I can use some orbs of regret and back track some nodes in my skill tree...
Last edited by evil4you on May 3, 2016, 4:16:59 AM
This will be painful. You know what, I don't play permanent leagues anyway so I have a bunch of leftovers lying around from temp leagues (temporary league characters get transferred to standard when temp leagues end). I'll log in when I get back from work in around 8 hours and give you some chaos orbs to sort you out. Use poe.trade, search for items with at least 60 life and 60 total elemental resistance and replace all your items until you get maxed resists (75% to all in Merciless) and you should be fine with some passive tree respeccing to get life nodes. Basic life + resist gear in standard is cheap and easy to get, you're looking at 1-3 chaos orbs per piece.

But you'll need to really change your passive tree. Perhaps viperesque could lend a hand with that, I don't want to monopolize all the help :P

Also, I would recommend sticking to a life build for now. ES builds are good in endgame but there are some unobvious but crucial mechanics you have to know and work around. In short: when you get damaged, this damage can stun you if it's a large percentage of your hitpoints. If it's elemental damage, it can also ignite, shock or freeze you. When you use energy shield, the damage calculation still uses your life for reference so you have to get stun avoidance or immunity, freeze immunity or good anti-freeze flask usage, anti-shock flasks and so on. It's quite doable if you know your way around the game but a bit complicated for a first character.
Last edited by Bars on May 3, 2016, 4:25:33 AM
That will be much appreciated Bars! Thank you very much!

I've followed viperesque's suggestions and refunded "Heart of Thunder" + "Breath of Lightning"and "Lightning Walker". I've used the points on "Quick recovery", "Cruel Preparation" and "Unnatural Calm" next I'm going to unlock "Melding", "Purity of Flesh" and "Heart and Soul".

My awesome damage has dropped so much... oh well, back to farming...
Last edited by evil4you on May 3, 2016, 10:54:24 AM
You're effectively using a three-link. Focus on just one spell, arc preferably as spark needs a bit more specialization, and use faster casting, echo and lightning penetration. You'll buy a cheap five-link this evening and maybe add controlled destruction, added lightning damage or increased critical strikes (not sure what would give more DPS but my bet is on controlled destruction).

You can also use cast when damage taken level 1 - assassin's mark, herald of thunder - curse on hit - assassin's mark and cast when damage taken level 1 - ice spear - greater multiple projectiles - power charge on crit to generate power charges.
Last edited by Bars on May 3, 2016, 7:42:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info