Why GGG doesnt want 2WEEK race to be SSF?

Well, I'm one of the votes SSF lost because you can play SSF in Flashback if you want but you can't play Flashback in SSF if GGG doesn't turn it on. It makes more sense to vote Flashback, unless you're voting SSF to make a statement in support of SSF.

While a formal SSF 2 week challenge league may be fun from a competitive standpoint, flashback gives you something you can't currently experience. It's not like Zana lets you pile on mods.

I'd love to see everyone struggle in SSF + flashback + perandus for 2 weeks. The HC race might actually be interesting for once.

Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on May 2, 2016, 10:29:30 PM
Yep. I definitely think it'd be MUCH closer if multivote was enabled.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Here's my theory about your previous post, Vhlad.

GGG didn't want anything including SSF to win the vote. That's the reason the option you're asking about wasn't available.

The SSF option was a bone thrown to satisfy the reddit crowd asking for a garena-like event. I don't think GGG expected it would be less than a landslide win for option 2. They're (GGG) breathing a huge collective sigh of relief now.

SSF is not fun for most players.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Title:

I don't think they thought it through that much. You can tell by the fact that we now have a poll letting us choose what to do with the core of the damn league.

Questions:

Why do people think SSF needs an additional lootsplosion mod? Perandus IS a lootsplosion mod, and an insane one at that. Minus the splosions of course.

Why do people think it's a big deal that 'I wont play if it's SSF'? Good for you. A bunch of people won't play if it's beyond only, or x, or y, or z. It's a 2 week 'for-fun' league that costs them nothing to run. (As Chris has said numerous times in the past: "I could turn on and start a new league in 30 seconds with whatever mods you want in it"). They don't seem to care that some won't play due to exclusivity of certain mods/rule sets.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I actually think SSF would be a great experiment with Perandus, since Perandus essentially trivializes droprates anyway. Since the Perandus part isn't optional, I voted SSF.

It's worth noting that, without Perandus, I wouldn't have voted for it.

Not quite true. It trivializes the price of most uniques but it doesn't actually enable decent SSF play. Just makes it a tad easier. There are so many possible items and builds in the game and the drop rates are so entirely adjusted around a large and bustling economy that the chances of getting build-enabling uniques still aren't that good. For example, I don't recall having a single Voll's Protector drop in PSC and PHC where I leveled 3 characters to 90, one to 70-ish before dead and one to 50-ish before dead. But I got 3 Consuming Darks. There was a league some time ago where I was getting a couple Voll's Protectors per day in the first week or something ridiculous like that.

The RNG variance is simply too big. You could still try to bruteforce it by farming Solaris 1 or some area in Act 4 for Cadiro but I don't know who finds doing hundreds of Cadiro runs exciting.

That's why the only viable builds in such a league would be unique-independent and generally not too item-dependent. This greatly reduces PoE's main strength: the ability to come up with many, many interesting builds.

One could always level a new character if they get a certain build-enabling unique and I've actually done this in the past when I was still new in PoE and didn't trade. But this quickly gets old.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 3, 2016, 3:19:38 AM
Solo Self found is playing with garbage. And it's not a 1000% boost of items that will change this. Your 0.0001% of looting a specific unique or a nice rare you want to have fun with become 0.001%, which is still shit from a single player standpoint. I just don't get how people miss that. Just look at the goddamn SSF leaderboard ffs. This game is not catered for a SSF experience, period.

Diablo is, but then everyone is like "muhmuhmuh Diablo casual", and while it might be true on some points, he atleast have understood how to make single players drop worth looking at. Because let's just remember how people don't even ID in PoE and just do the chaos recipe.
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
A SSF league would be a disaster.
how so? how can people ruin something for others when there are no interactions?

Because there woulöd be no interaction.
And there are people who like interaction.
At least as many as those who like to be loners. :)
"Ta-Ta, not-a-cockroach"
I will probably get flamed for that, but there it goes -

If the 2-weeks event is SSF I will not play it and I expect others won't for the same reason as me.
99% of my playtime in this game is in party. Me and my significant other have a small guild of IRL friends and we enjoy playing together. The game is just much less fun playing solo for me.

Having said that - I am perfectly okay finishing off a challenge or two in Perandus and waiting for the next league if this even turns out to be SSF. I don't feel entitled to play it and certainly won't try to change other people's mind on how they want to play the game. I've simply cast my vote and there's that. :)

The whole point of this post is the fact that with the recent SSF talk I see people starting to develop fanatical tendencies towards that playstyle.
Ultimately this will cause severe harm to our community.

Something to think about, perhaps?
"
Sygnano wrote:

Diablo is, but then everyone is like "muhmuhmuh Diablo casual", and while it might be true on some points, he atleast have understood how to make single players drop worth looking at. Because let's just remember how people don't even ID in PoE and just do the chaos recipe.

Gear isn't the end game over there, paragons and highest Rift are. On paragons, the last two seasons, group play was 13-16x more effective at gaining p-levels. On Rifts, it's sticky because evaluating 'solo' leaderboards in that game depends on how much purist you are about the whole SSF thing.

Circling back to gear, in PoE, you ARE risking vendoring a 2 ex ring or amulet every time you do the recipe. In diablo, people salvage their legendaries unidentified because there isn't any risk in doing so. Only a fraction of the entire loot pool is wearable, and only a fraction of that is viable. At least GGG (and laughably, Jay Wilson for vanilla Inferno) understood the concept of top 95% rolled yellow > perfectly rolled set/unique for most builds.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info