Gem availability sucks for self found

This is the main reason why I always think twice about playing in a new league. I almost always have to make 2-3 characters with very basic builds to get the required gems needed for a single character.

To the people saying it was worse before masters, no, no it wasn't. Firstly, back then we had half the gems we do now, secondly, GGG replaced most of the cruel and merciless quest rewards that used to be gems with shitty rare item rewards, and lastly, most of the very comonly used gems were offered equaly to every class. Some classes, Witch, Ranger, Shadow, don't even get CWDT, and ironicaly enough, those are the classes that need CWDT the most.
Last edited by Mephasm on May 2, 2016, 1:10:49 PM
"
TheLastZica wrote:
Why should GGG bother changing gem availability as it is now when it works fine in... every case except that particular one?

For the same reason that GGG added more gems to vendors and that we no longer toss our buckets full of piss directly into the street. Just because something technically functions in some way and we can technically live with it, there's no reason not to make it better.

I also kind of wonder if I'm wasting my time explicitly stating over and over again that this is a change that would benefit everyone, not only self found players. You still don't seem to grasp that. I have no idea why my words aren't getting through to so many of you, but I feel like I've restated positions often enough that there's no reason to do so again. If you guys want to continue playing the brick wall, I will no longer bash my head against you.

Why are so many people arguing against making gem availability better? Admittedly, you're not arguing against making it better. 99% of what people post can be summed up as "suck it up self found pussy," which is utterly void of arguments against my position. I asked people earlier if they could post arguments against improving gem availability instead of rehashing pointless topics that have been covered time and time again in this thread. One person tried. Thanks for that, at least. Good job you wonderful singleton person.
Last edited by Jennik on May 2, 2016, 1:54:59 PM
"
Mephasm wrote:
Some classes, Witch, Ranger, Shadow, don't even get CWDT, and ironicaly enough, those are the classes that need CWDT the most.

Everybody actually gets CWDT in A4 now. They just don't get Immortal Call or Increased Duration, which makes getting CWDT irrelevant for most builds.
Flipping around the question, what is the point in restricting gem availability? Is it about balance? If balance is set askew by having wider gem availability, then why does trading exist? If it's not about balance, then what's the point in restricting access to a lot of in-game gems?

From an in-game lore point of view, why does Nessa sell some gems to a witch, a different set of gems to a scion, and another set of gems to a marauder? How does that make sense? Even if somebody can come up with a reason that doesn't sound completely lame, then why wouldn't another vendor serve as a go-between and sell gems to classes that can't buy them directly from other in-game NPCs?

Some gems might be viewed as "rare" for lore reasons or because they're intended to be, well, rare. For example, enhance and empower are rare and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Key gems, though, such as immortal call and increased duration make good sense as vendor gems for all character types.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on May 2, 2016, 2:08:56 PM
Jennik, you don't think you have an attitude here but you do. You act like everybody who has a different opinion than you is shitting on you. There are maybe a couple posts in this whole thing that looked like they could be considered trolling but you acted like all of them were. People thought you sounded mad and were raging because that's what it looks like from an objective point of view. You can't expect people to interpret what you mean by context. There are a lot of people from a lot of places here and many aren't native english speakers. I am a native english speaker and I had no idea your idea of self found is character only. That's not what most people mean when they say that. I don't know if you can read through this thread objectively or not, but if you read it from the eyes of others I think you might not be so confrontational. Not everyone who has a different opinion is shitting on you are even looking for the fight you think they are looking for.

All that aside, and before you start labeling me with names or accuse me of anything, I agree with your premise. When they added gems to vendors they should make all the currently available ones available to all the classes. The non quest gems can still be drop only (or sold by masters). I think that's pretty much just enlighten, enhance, empower, and portal. Running an alt to get gems is not really that bad for early gems, but nobody wants to run an alt all the way throuh normal to get a later gem. I used to level up templars just for all the reduced mana gems he would get. That is and should be a thing of the past. The game is about using skills. Doesn't need to be about finding them.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
I still have an account where i stored two pieces of almost every gem that existed back in the day when there were no gem vendors. Gem availability doesn`t suck for SF. Every gem ( except the powerful ones like Empower and Enlighten ) is available to you as long as you take the time and level different characters to the level where they can buy the gem from the vendors. You are just lazy and want to play an easySF game.

Spoiler
Last edited by madfellan on May 2, 2016, 3:13:58 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:
Jennik, you don't think you have an attitude here but you do.

I don't know why you believe this. I've claimed that I'm not angry because I've been repeatedly accused of being angry (mostly by the troll). I'm being condescending as fuck to people who say incredibly stupid things to me over and over and over again, though. I can be especially condescending when someone says the exact same incredibly stupid thing that I've already responded to multiple times.

I understand that some people think the fact that I can be condescending, regardless of who I'm being condescending to or why, makes me a terrible fucking piece of shit. We're going to disagree there, but keep on believing what you want to keep on believing.

Sidenote on "u mad:" Some people are completely unable to have a conversation above the level of a child. This might be because they're utter fucking morons. It might be because they have no experience with high level conversations. It might be because they're literally children. Regardless of the reason, this kind of person will tend to respond to any question or statement when they feel confronted with random bullshit like "u mad" or some other form of idiocy. They often seem like potentially reasonable people before it becomes incredibly obvious that they are not.

This doesn't mean the person they're talking to is mad, though. It's ridiculously hard to tell when someone's angry in writing. This is especially true if you have the communication abilities of a small child. This is one reason you should do your best to respond to the actual words people write instead of trying to interpret their emotions, find hidden meanings in their words, or doing whatever sort of other things you do instead of responding to what people actually say.

"
mark1030 wrote:
You act like everybody who has a different opinion than you is shitting on you.

This is blatantly false. If you go back and reread the thread, you'll note that I acted like the very few people who came into the thread just to shit all over it were shitting all over it. I believe you'll even see me cite specific examples of specific users doing so.

You'll (hopefully, as you've said things that don't agree with reality multiple times in just your first two sentences) also note that people who disagreed and offered reasons why they do so (which, to be fair, was one fucking guy and only after an absurd amount of prompting) was very clearly not treated like he was shitting on the thread. He said some pretty dumb things, though, and I treated those dumb things as the dumb things they were.

"
mark1030 wrote:
People thought you sounded mad and were raging because that's what it looks like from an objective point of view.

Hah! "Objective!" That's a good one, man. Absolutely fucking hilarious!

You'll note that when I asked exactly what made me appear angry to these people, they either ignored my question or started trolling the thread (most of the troll posts were deleted, thanks mods!). We've noticed multiple times in this thread people's incredibly poor reading comprehension skills, including one guy's complete inability to even keep what he'd said straight from one post to the next. If nothing else, it would be useful to know what's making some people think I'm angry, even when I'm not and have clearly stated such on multiple occasions.

"
mark1030 wrote:
You can't expect people to interpret what you mean by context.

I assume this is about the Burning Arrow example I gave earlier, which was about a side conversation unrelated to the main topic, and which I didn't explain because, as I've repeatedly stated, it's fucking irrelevant? Yeah, I didn't expect people to have to interpret that in the context of what I'd written, because I (foolishly) expected people not be distracted by irrelevant details. My bad. It's good that you can't let those irrelevant side topics go and continue to doggedly pursue them. Never stop never stopping.

Fuck, and here I go responding to you immediately after I say I'll stop bashing my head against brick walls. When I start saying things like "repeatedly" and "multiple times," it's clear I'm talking to someone who is still oblivious to certain points that are already been made plenty of times before. What the fuck is wrong with me that I'm wasting more time saying the exact same thing over and over and over again to people who keep proving themselves incapable of following a conversation?

"Thanks for your lengthy and detailed explanation of why leaves are green. Just one more question. Why are leaves green?"

Fuck me. I'm out. You got my last post of the thread and a few more shreds of my sanity, dude. Good job.

"
mark1030 wrote:
I think that's pretty much just enlighten, enhance, empower, and portal.

Also Added Chaos and Detonate Mines.

Edit: Ugh, and the cancerous "u lazy" post right after yours. Not giving him a fucking post, though. Even this edit's more than "u lazy" guy deserves.
Last edited by Jennik on May 2, 2016, 3:31:45 PM
It's good to have gems though .
R.I.P 4.B.
I think we can stop the thread by saying this :

It would be nice to be able to buy (almost) all the gems without having to worry about the character's class. Not necessarily early, but when your character is already in the maps, it sure feels like a waste of time to need to either use an alt or ask someone else to buy a simple gem. Maybe enable the missing gems at the relevant merciless quests?

Anyways, it's not a major issue and isn't urgent (which is the main point of almost everybody in the thread, not that they think it's a bad idea).
It doesn't deserve the 7+ pages it got, and I urge Jennik to pm a moderator in order to close the thread (or use the report button, with the option "other" and explain that you simply want to close your own thread), rather than let us continue fighting for no real reason.
"
I don't know why you believe this
Dude, at post number 12 you start talking about everybody shitting on you:
"
Jennik wrote:
Amazingly, not a single person has provided an argument as to why poor gem availability is better than good gem availability. Quite a few people have shown up to shit on me and the thread while contributing nothing of value to the discussion, though.

Keep being you, POE forum. Never fucking change.
Post 12!!! And 5 of those first 12 posts are YOU!!! How many is "quite a few"? Of the other 6 people who posted in the first 12 posts. "Quite a few". Gee, how could anyone think you were mad or raging or being unreasonably defensive when "quite a few" of 6 people said something that wasn't "yes, Jennik, you are smart and have the correct and only opinion".

And why are you saying I'm not objective in this thread? I read through 7 pages, most of which was you overreacting before I made any posts at all. i fucking agreed with your topic but you were too busy finding ways to be butthurt by my post that you don't even care. But please, show me how my reading 7 pages before posting is not being objective. Especially when I fucking agreed with you.

Edit: P.S. if so many people think you sound mad, maybe it's you and not them who isn't being objective
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on May 2, 2016, 3:46:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info