Give your HONEST opinion on where POE fails in so many areas where Diablo 3 succeeds

Diablo 3 sucks, ROS sux. D2 was as perfect a game as ever created, and blizzard totally fucked everything up with D3.

You should change your thread title to D2, instead of D3 trash.

The only good quality of D3 ros is that I can play it on console, so I can lounge in comfort on a bed or couch, instead of sit in a chair. That is the single only reason to play D3 instead of D2 or POE.
The thread title is a bit whacked.

What is the definition of succeeds? Getting more people to pay $60 for a game and then $40 for more of that game? Because Blizzard certainly succeeded there.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
Toliman wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Since then, I feel the D3 team has done much to salvage their game. They kicked yellowbugs to the curb and focused on a D2-style, unique-exclusive itemization. They made item acquisition easy while amputating their diseased trading system clean off. It's like they finally got the people who know what they're doing working on the project, and their main limiting factor is that they're fixing an existing game instead of making a new one. Yeah, D3 is casual as fuck (due to its full embrace of unique items), but it's a well-made casual as fuck.

They have just increased drop rates. The worst you can do in Action RPG games is to just give in and give the players x% increased chance of their favorite mods and uniques. Sucks ass. Terrible patching. They try hard to be all endgame and 'hard' with the torment but the better hard mode was vanilla inferno.
I think you're confusing personal preference with good design.

For example, I'm a yellowbug. I like continual gear progression, grinding my character very slowly to perfection. I don't like super-high droprates and instant gratification. That's what I prefer so I play PoE more than D3 from a personal play standpoint.

However, the issue with vanilla D3 was that it was trying to please the yellowbug crowd by making uniques dog shit, which was hated by the more typical unique-item-loving crowd, and it wasn't really doing a great job with its one-dimensional rares, either.

The Blizzard team working on RoS saw the situation as it is: two mutually contradictory choices. Properly designing for unique items means having them actually drop, and having unique items actually drop means slow, continuous gear progression goes the way of the dodo. Since they needed to amputate the economy anyway, removing trade as a potential way to climb the gear ladder, they did the right thing and truly embraced unique items, which is synonymous with going full casual no breaks.

It's a choice which didn't benefit me, but I understand it, it makes sense, I can respect it.

Now, in contrast, look at the debate over Cadiro. All the players who actually want to have uniques so they can build around uniques love the fucker, because he casualizes droprates. All the players who want the type of slow, continuous gear progression which affix-based items provide think he's horrible, for exactly the same reason the unique-lovers love him: he gives you all your gear in a hurry. GGG had been mixing oil with water this whole time, trying to accommodate both affix-based and unique itemization. The result is a tangled mess of internal contradictions, aka typical GGG.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 2, 2016, 2:58:58 PM
Spoiler
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Toliman wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Since then, I feel the D3 team has done much to salvage their game. They kicked yellowbugs to the curb and focused on a D2-style, unique-exclusive itemization. They made item acquisition easy while amputating their diseased trading system clean off. It's like they finally got the people who know what they're doing working on the project, and their main limiting factor is that they're fixing an existing game instead of making a new one. Yeah, D3 is casual as fuck (due to its full embrace of unique items), but it's a well-made casual as fuck.

They have just increased drop rates. The worst you can do in Action RPG games is to just give in and give the players x% increased chance of their favorite mods and uniques. Sucks ass. Terrible patching. They try hard to be all endgame and 'hard' with the torment but the better hard mode was vanilla inferno.
I think you're confusing personal preference with good design.

For example, I'm a yellowbug. I like continual gear progression, grinding my character very slowly to perfection. I don't like super-high droprates and instant gratification. That's what I prefer so I clearly PoE more than D3 from a personal play standpoint.

However, the issue with vanilla D3 was that it was trying to please the yellowbug crowd by making uniques dog shit, which was hated by the more typical unique-item-loving crowd, and it wasn't really doing a great job with its one-dimensional rares, either.

The Blizzard team working on RoS saw the situation as it is: two mutually contradictory choices. Properly designing for unique items means having them actually drop, and having unique items actually drop means slow, continuous gear progression goes the way of the dodo. Since they needed to amputate the economy anyway, removing trade as a potential way to climb the gear ladder, they did the right thing and truly embraced unique items, which is synonymous with going full casual no breaks.

It's a choice which didn't benefit me, but I understand it, it makes sense, I can respect it.

Now, in contrast, look at the debate over Cadiro. All the players who actually want to have uniques so they can build around uniques love the fucker, because he casualizes droprates. All the players who want the type of slow, continuous gear progression which affix-based items provide think he's horrible, for exactly the same reason the unique-lovers love him: he gives you all your gear in a hurry. GGG had been mixing oil with water this whole time, trying to accommodate both affix-based and unique itemization. The result is a tangled mess of internal contradictions, aka typical GGG.

I'ma have to drop a +1 to this pretty much spot on assessment.

I think there are a number of unique items in PoE that are both strong, but replaceable, the issue not really being mentioned here by you is a factor that wasn't really around back in d2, at least not to this extent, which was "meta" which I don't think was a factor GGG had considered back when they designed on item design.

As for OP, D3 has fluid content and a factor of not worrying about "investment" or currency to play endgame content.

Thats not to say that D3 doesn't have many many flaws or to say that PoE doesn't have any either, but if you want to know where D3 "wins" specifically its above.

Spoiler
In regards to vanilla D3, it was SO CLOSE to being perfect, 2 factors pushed it from being so, 1 the "AH" and 2 the itemization, ultimately it falls into 1 big thing, but in terms of being a successor to D2, at least vanilla D3 tried, whereas ROS is just a casualization of the series.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
@goetzjam: the enemy/monster/boss design in vanilla D3 was superb (omfg Belial). And the skills were really well animated (although not perfectly balanced). I think A2I was overtuned but A1I and A3I weren't, and that was great. Considering they didn't let beta testers out of Act 1 it was borderline miraculous.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 2, 2016, 2:59:49 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
@goetzjam: the enemy/monster/boss design in vanilla D3 was superb (omfg Belial). And the skills were really well animated (although not perfectly balanced). I think A2I was overtuned but A1I and A3I weren't, and that was great. Considering they didn't let beta testers out of Act 1 it was borderline miraculous.

They didnt even let beta testers past the skeleton king, which was like 1\3 or so the way into act 1.

In terms of act 2 being imbalanced it was so because itemization made it so, it was too difficult to get the gear you needed without resorting to the AH, whether by intention or design it left people that didnt want to spend money feeling like they were never going to progress.

Then you have to consider some of the OP builds back then, like CM wizard, abit its somewhat back with all the cooldown reduction and such as well as the life on kill bugs with hydria :D

In terms of the designs yes they all were nice, except they are basically completely neglected in the game now. I remember fighting belial and I did think it was a nice fight, but my opinion of a good game means it must remain fun at basically all times, which D3 wasn't able to do and the D3 now stops being so after you get your items and push a bit to see how far it can go. I don't like spending tons of time killing mobs with ever increasing health, the game does't change in terms of "playstyle" or items except just more stats from greater rift 60 and beyond, so thats where my fun stops.

The other large issue with that game is leveling was far more painful in that game, then it ever has been in PoE. Its no surprise to me they removed the need to do the campaign as the repetitive nature of doing that over and over again would make someone want to do bad things to themselves. Many factors come into play why its necessary in PoE, not to mention it takes far less time because you can actually "properly" rush someone in PoE. Then again now in D3 you can get someone from 1-70 in about 40 min or less, I've only done 2 rushes and cant recall how long.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
D3's initial problem was that you needed gear found in act 2 inferno to get past act 1 inferno. In PoE, there are a few gated uniques but for the most part, you don't need to farm areas beyond your level to get items that you need to farm that level.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
No lab in d3, makes it better. Poe is good, but 2.2 put d3 back on top.
The main things I think D3 does better are the graphics stability and the internet connection stability.

D3's engine is far less likely than PoE's engine to have stutters or other such things. Not only that, but Blizzard seems to keep within the engine's limits and doesn't push or break them without adding new tech and coding. They make sure to polish the game.

PoE on the other hand has significant graphics problems. I will regularly get dips to under 10 FPS even though my computer can quite nicely handle the game in the 40's and 50's. I seem to recall people who own Nvidia TitanS (yes, plural) saying they had noticeable framerate drops. Owing to the graphics (and connection) problems I will never seriously try to play hardcore in PoE. If I can say I'm more likely to die to game loading or connection problems rather than my own play mistakes then that means the game has significant problems it needs to address.

D3's connections are superior to PoE's, though that's not surprising considering Blizzard is a multibillion dollar company with a lot of power and money to make sure their connections are solid. GGG in comparison is a minuscule game company that does not have anywhere near as much leverage or combined networking expertise.
This guy is getting more and more suspicious by the minute. He apparently only has a lvl 28 and a lvl 32 character but he has 260 forum posts, all of them (or at least the recent ones) only bashing PoE and how terrible it is and talking about D3 and how great it is.

The question comes to mind what is he doing writing walls of text about a game he hates so much instead of just playing D3 or something.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info