PoE economy sucked... then Cadiro Perandus came and it was good... soon it will suck again.

"
DalaiLama wrote:

How much gear do players get from trading?

As I wrote earlier, I leveled three characters to 90 in PSC and PHC and geared them to a workable endgame state. I don't think I used more than one self-found item per character for this endgame gearing.

edit: and I don't play for min-maxed omfg items, I strive for 'decently strong'.

"
DalaiLama wrote:

Why not try a set of temporary leagues with no trading? I suspect the amount of howling if GGG did that would be enough to make Cthulhu go sane.

The answer to the first question answers the second. It would be frankly terrible unless they buff drop rates significantly. And I see no realistic chance of GGG doing it as they have always viewed trading as a key aspect of the game (again repeating myself here). Won't even bother to argue about that point, if someone wants 'proof', they haven't been paying any attention to Chris and the devs over the years.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 30, 2016, 4:29:09 PM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Spoiler
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Rares and uniques doesn't work, never has, and never will. It's rares or uniques. And I'm one of those who actually wants the rares to win. But I know the only way that'll happen is if rares are allowed to get interesting "unique-only" mods.
Consistency in types of mod rolls and in level of mod rolls would let rares win. Why should a level 79 item randomly roll meager defense stats on a weapon, or have +cold skills, and + flat fire damage? Why does an item have +349 Armor and then +14% Armor?

The "R" in the random affix generation needs to do a better job. If it's only purpose is to keep players farming for an eternity, than it should be given a cardboard sign that says "Will only work one day per year for food." and sent packing.

Why would a top level boss store or keep a worthless trinket anyways?

The loot should match the area, with some variation. I understand what GGG is trying to do - give players who are willing to farm and play for a long time, that Eureka moment of finding a great item, but the current RNG method is antiquated and detracts from the game for many players.

I think it is nigh time GGG took a bold step forward and came up with a new type of itemization.

Why RNG drops OR crafting? Why not both? Not just masters, but something like allowing players to sell five rare items to a Master and see what the results looked like before accepting? If you sold to Vagan, the item would get more weapon mods, particularly accuracy and damage. The mods generated would be heavily influenced by the mods of the items you put in.

As an example - you grind and grind and grind and you have ten sets of armor. You take five of them to Haku, one has nice Flat Armor, one nice % armor, one has Nice life, and the other two have nice chaos resistances. They are all of the same base type, you offer them to Haku and he keeps a few of the mods offering an OK flat armor, a nice % armor, and chaos
resists.

You take out the chaos resist armors and and put in one more with nice life and one with nice flat armor. Now, Haku offers you an armor with med flat ac, a nice % armor and nice life. It is better than what you have, but your need some chaos resists, so you try adding some various orbs to the window, to see if you can get one more mod with chaos resists.

It could be a level 9 Master option, so it wouldn't break the existing leveling options in a new league.

Additionally, GGG could allow an additional prefix and suffix that are FIXED to drop on rare mods. These could include some affixes that are only available this way. A player who found a sword with +200% damage (after farming level79+ maps for a very long time) might find that enough to try and craft, but they would need to find lots of other good rares to make that work.

Anyhow, I don't think there is anything wrong with uniques. IMO, the problem is with the way rares are generated/crafted and implemented. Right now, getting rares is like we are shopping at 137 car lots because the cars have 1-4 wheels, 0-3 engines, a 50/50 chance of having a steering wheel and usually come with snorkels, flat screen tvs and a one liter gas tank.

A nice rare item should have a lot of sizzle factor. It shouldn't be a nice juicy steak that has been dipped in turpentine.
I feel like you're just trying to make affix-based items easier to perfect. That's not what rare items are about. If rare items had access to juicy "unique item" mods, you could build around having one affix, and continuously upgrade the item with the other affixes over time, achieving a "never perfect," continuous item grind, while simultaneously enabling item-based builds sooner. What you seen to want is just Mirror rares sooner, which would accomplish nothing good, and to defend unique items, which I find indefensible.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 30, 2016, 4:42:40 PM
"
Bars wrote:
I didn't say this or that is *bad* and shouldn't be in the game. About Cadiro, all these arguments are quite pointless as GGG has made their stance on Cadiro clear and Chris personally said in his last interview that they wanted to try an item-rich league with Perandus but they didn't anticipate the amount of gear people would get and they will tone it down in next leagues.

There is a huge difference between toning down (nerfing) the quantity of high end gear that Cadiro offers and removing him completely which is what GGG is planning to do. That's why we need to be as vocal as possible so GGG will hear us "whos" and not pull him out entirely. I suggested that he show up in The Labyrinth and Masters maps plus he could be a standard mod on maps. But as it stands right now:

"
GGG wrote:
While you may see him again in the future, we've announced that Cadiro Perandus won't be rolled into the core game in the 2.3.0 update. This is your last opportunity for a while to demonstrate your mastery of a Perandus-dominated economy.

The Talosians (aka GGG) have grown tired of Cadiro Perandus and are removing him. The comment of "... you may see him again in the future..." is vary vague and the only way we can let GGG know that we are not wanting him to be permanently exiled out of Wraeclast is to post here. Failing to get any change from our discussions on keeping him I guess I'll be going back to not buying anything.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I feel like you're just trying to make affix-based items easier to perfect.

I wouldn't want that, or anything near that. But allowing them to be easier to be useful, as in crafting some semi-dependable mods on them would take away a large part of the unique allure - which is having something you can rely on.

The mods you could craft and the values of the rolls within would need to be less than optimal. It would be an extension of the existing Master crafting, but one where the items you find play a semi-controlling part, and no exalted orbs are required.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

That's not what rare items are about. If rare items had access to juicy "unique item" mods, you could build around having one affix, and continuously upgrade the item with the other affixes over time,
The idea I sketched, was very rough, just to illustrate something more than just orbs and masters and adding mods. Except for an exclusive drop prefix and drop affix (which would be extremely rare) none of the rest of the mods would be fixed. What **would** be different, is that you get to see the possible result before getting rid of your old item.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
achieving a "never perfect," continuous item grind,

This is how I would describe what we have now, except there are larger quantum steps between gear improvements, and players don't bother doing any of it themselves, they just trade a few chaos orbs to get there. If everyone were to save and sell just about every decent item, the whole RNG system would fall completely off the map.

The current system is more like going to the convenience store to get milk, than it is to farming hay, raising a cow and then milking it after it gives birth. Except for end game, I doubt many players are "grinding" to get gear, they are just saving up some orbs/alts/fusings and then making a quick trade every so often and then moving on.

The end game would get there too if it weren't for temporary leagues.

Right now rares are alt shard food 95% of the time. The other 4% they are chaos recipe food. .97% of the time, they are worth considering for a moment or two, before vendoring for alt shards. Maybe 3 out of ten thousand are worth throwing in the stash, but when I look back on them, they are almost always lacking in something to let them get used. In a brand new league, yeah those 3 would be great items, but later in a league, nope.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
while simultaneously enabling item-based builds sooner. What you seen to want is just Mirror rares sooner, which would accomplish nothing good, and to defend unique items, which I find indefensible.

One great affix is not going to make a mirror worthy item. One great affix and two mediocre decent affixes won't be a game breaker either.

This is closer to what I am talking about:

In my level 9 master crafting system, Haku **might** let you reroll that life roll a little bit higher, or maybe get a chaos resist affix.

Or this one:

Level 9 Catarina would give a chance to swap out that "% fire damage" for "%lightning damage" or maybe "+1 lightning skills"

The mirror worthy mods (outside of the 2 dropped affixes) wouldn't even be an option.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Right now rares are alt shard food 95% of the time. The other 4% they are chaos recipe food. .97% of the time, they are worth considering for a moment or two, before vendoring for alt shards. Maybe 3 out of ten thousand are worth throwing in the stash, but when I look back on them, they are almost always lacking in something to let them get used. In a brand new league, yeah those 3 would be great items, but later in a league, nope.
For experienced players with on-point item evaluation skills, this is inevitable.

Let's say I give you a random number between 1 and 100. Then I do it again, and you keep the higher number. Then again, keep highest. And so on.

Here are graphs of average progression under such a system, as well as the same system but with double the "drop rate."

As you can see, if players can put drops on a clear number line from best to worst, then it doesn't take much farming before drops flatline and shit gets boring.

Everything depends on interesting itemization. Player attempts to form strict superiority/inferiority relationships between items must be thwarted. Droprates are all but irrelevant as far as farming excitement goes; it's more about possibility, about the theorycrafting-ish thoughts which go into evaluating each drop.

Even then, a developer can only be so clever. (Some) players will eventually figure the game out and number-line your items. It's inevitable. The best a dev can do is maintain the illusion as long as possible.

As far as PoE is concerned, the problem is that GGG is making essentially zero effort at trying to make rare affixes interesting, and instead seems fully content to make them a very number-lineable class of items. As such, the design relies on unique item drops almost exclusively to provide loot-finding excitement. Well, uniques and higher currency (because you wonder what you can trade it for). That's about it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 30, 2016, 8:52:14 PM
"
DalaiLama wrote:

True; most rare items are alteration food but I like it that way. It makes that exceptional rare feel special when you do find it.

Keep in mind that the player is exiled on a god forsaken continent visibly showing the scars of its past. It is a cruel landscape where exiles have to survive with the items that they manage to gather around. Making better rares easier to obtain, just doesn't fit too wel with the lore of this game.

EDIT:
Since you dabbled into Perandus league: can you show me a couple of the rares that you stashed away?
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Last edited by Reinhart on May 1, 2016, 3:36:23 AM
"
Xavderion wrote:
You're talking about itemization, not economy. But I do agree, for us casuals GGG really hit the sweet spot with Perandus. We can actually finish a character in 2-3 weeks now. And the no lifers can still chase their headhunters and perfectly corrupted stuff. Everyone should be happy tbh. Not sure why GGG doesn't see it.

+1
"
Sa_Re wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
You're talking about itemization, not economy. But I do agree, for us casuals GGG really hit the sweet spot with Perandus. We can actually finish a character in 2-3 weeks now. And the no lifers can still chase their headhunters and perfectly corrupted stuff. Everyone should be happy tbh. Not sure why GGG doesn't see it.

+1

+2

The Wraeclast business consortium has banded together and is hiring local thugs to run Cadiro Perandus out of Wraeclast by the beginning of June (or so I've heard). Or as I view this situation, the Talosians have grown tired of their experiment in giving exiles delight and are going back to a mostly painful starvation simulation. They (the Talosians) don't really care about the exiles that they have trapped with their mind control games and with their superior intellect are self-centered on their own pleasures.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Cadiro had zero impact on my gear progression. But he certainly took the enjoyment out of my loot drops.
Cadiro is stupid
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info