PoE economy sucked... then Cadiro Perandus came and it was good... soon it will suck again.

The title pretty much says how I feel about GGG's decision to run him out of Wraeclast. In essence he will be exiled from the exiles. This is very sad and for me will lead to a less PoE playing summer and it's a shame that GGG feels this way. I do know from having been exiled in November of 2012 that the "this world is an illusion" uttered by Dominus when I kill him (damn, I killed him 3 times and he won't stay dead!, my next exile has to do it all over again) that GGG is a highly intelligent race of beings called the Talosians and that Wraeclast is a place implanted in our minds from a planet called Talos IV. With this background information I shouldn't be too surprised that what our exiles interact with is controlled by a higher power (some even debate whether as humans on earth we are just in a "matrix" world and being controlled by higher powers... I don't desire to contemplate that). I also shouldn't be surprised by these givers of pain and delight that as they are using us exiles for their own amusement that they get tired very easily and thus change the virtual landscape our exiles walk in frequently to stave off their boredom (I can see that once you achieve that level of mind control that life can become boring).

But to come back to a more or less sane viewpoint (is anything real or is my typing this an illusion too... I can get a headache real fast over thinking this) if GGG steps back and looks at the bigger picture does it really make sense to remove Cadiro Perandus from PoE. By their own words GGG has stated that Perandus League has been the most popular temp league of any and that even after a month into it the daily player rates were still high. Even today (April 30th) I see the Steam PoE avg. players is over 9000 compared to under 7000 in previous temp leagues at this time (nearly 2 months into the temp league) so there has to be a much happier quantity of exiles here playing Perandus League than before. Maybe Ascendancy subclasses help with build diversity (there are some great builds that we can make with these extra passives) and that could also be contributing to playing longevity in this temp league.

Whatever the reasons, it all adds up to a better playing experience for most (starvation masochist players and fans of commodity trade sims. not withstanding) right now and subtracting Cadiro Perandus will reduce the "fun to play" of PoE. (My apologies to uber elites and arpg masochists that like playing the grindfest arpg trading sim.)
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last bumped on May 3, 2016, 12:55:06 PM
The reason "the economy sucked" was that everyone wanted to sell items for a profit... to be a shopkeeper. Cadiro gave players with that wish a source of items to pretend to sell.

The economy isn't at fault. It's the players in a game who think that everyone should be able to trade for a profit that are at fault.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The reason "the economy sucked" was that everyone wanted to sell items for a profit... to be a shopkeeper. Cadiro gave players with that wish a source of items to pretend to sell.

The economy isn't at fault. It's the players in a game who think that everyone should be able to trade for a profit that are at fault.

You seem to know a hell of a lot about trading and what players want from it for a guy who has never done it.

My undoubtedly limited but at least non-imaginary experience from trading seems to suggest that most players just want to sell their drops for a reasonable price, play the game and spend as little time trading as possible.

Only a small fraction of the players I know are actual flippers. Most have tried their hand at flipping and soon discovered it's not as great as people who have no idea about trade and flipping make it sound: it is actually a lot of work. Boring work. Unless you're one of the few who enjoy this kind of thing and I assure you they are a minority.

About Perandus league: it was nothing special. It simply increased item saturation which lowered the prices of most uniques. This made them more accessible but, on the other hand, devalued the few good drops players were getting and diminished the sense of excitement from them. I got a Voltaxic, three Consuming Darks, a Belly, Maligaro's, multiple tabulas and some other good unique drops this league... and they were worth much, much less than in other leagues.

Looking back at the league, the overall feeling it gave me was... meh

That's strictly speaking about the league, not about the Ascendancy update which was IMO great overall.

But that's PoE for you, everyone has their views and opinions about it. The game has so many aspects, it's impossible to make everyone happy.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 30, 2016, 1:35:39 PM
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 (My apologies to uber elites and arpg masochists that like playing the grindfest arpg trading sim.)

Think is you don't need to play like that to get a decent build in a temp league, just play more than 10 minutes per week, you should try it some time.
Labyrinth: an outrageously anti-Timmy, pro-Spike addition to the game

Cadiro: a hideously pro-Johnny, anti-Spike addition to the game

If you fall somewhere between Timmy and Spike as far as psychographics go, you're probably pretty salty right now. And if you're a Johnny you're anticipating getting salty in the near future.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 30, 2016, 1:38:41 PM
 I'm looking at the "fun to play" of PoE from the viewpoint of an arpg player that wants to spend my playing time out in Wraeclast bashing a bazillion mobs and p-mobs for coin and finding Cadiro Perandus once in a while to see if he has anything great for sale. I don't want to sit in PoE.XYZ (or any other PoE trade site) searching for items to improve my build, then sit in trade chat waiting/hoping/praying that the seller will talk to me and agree to sell me the listed item. To me that is not why I play any arpg whether it be Diablo, Torchlight, or PoE. So since Cadiro Perandus has brought a buyers market to Wraeclast and that in turn is making it easier to afford better gear and increase our build power then I don't want him to go away just because the uber elite want PoE to be more of a starvation and sellers market type of arpg.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

"
Arrowneous wrote:
 So since Cadiro Perandus has brought a buyers market to Wraeclast and that in turn is making it easier to afford better gear and increase our build power then I don't want him to go away just because the uber elite want PoE to be more of a starvation and sellers market type of arpg.
You know, continuous "never perfect" gear progression and having item-based builds enabled early, cheaply and easily do not have to be mutually exclusive game design decisions. They are in this game, but it's not something which had to be.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 30, 2016, 1:44:50 PM
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 (My apologies to uber elites and arpg masochists that like playing the grindfest arpg trading sim.)

Think is you don't need to play like that to get a decent build in a temp league, just play more than 10 minutes per week, you should try it some time.

Ha... please keep troll posts to yourself, thank you. I've played Perandus League for 100s of hours. The fact that I don't have the playing skills or knowledge to create uber builds that get me into the 90s levels in any temp league should never be a determining factor whether or not my viewpoint should be dismissed out of hand just because you disagree with it.

"
Arrowneous wrote:
 I'm looking at the "fun to play" of PoE from the viewpoint of an arpg player that wants to spend my playing time out in Wraeclast bashing a bazillion mobs and p-mobs for coin and finding Cadiro Perandus once in a while to see if he has anything great for sale. I don't want to sit in PoE.XYZ (or any other PoE trade site) searching for items to improve my build, then sit in trade chat waiting/hoping/praying that the seller will talk to me and agree to sell me the listed item. To me that is not why I play any arpg whether it be Diablo, Torchlight, or PoE. So since Cadiro Perandus has brought a buyers market to Wraeclast and that in turn is making it easier to afford better gear and increase our build power then I don't want him to go away just because the uber elite want PoE to be more of a starvation and sellers market type of arpg.

Out of interest what's the difference between grinding currency to buy items from a player and grinding coins to buy items fron an npc? It takes literally zero amout of time to find an item on poe.trade and buy it.

The vast majority of people that complain about trading being too difficult these days are people that don't actually do it, everyone else just gets on with it.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 So since Cadiro Perandus has brought a buyers market to Wraeclast and that in turn is making it easier to afford better gear and increase our build power then I don't want him to go away just because the uber elite want PoE to be more of a starvation and sellers market type of arpg.
You know, continuous "never perfect" gear progression and having item-based builds enabled early, cheaply and easily do not have to be mutually exclusive game design decisions. They are in this game, but it's not something which had to be.

Gear progression has to always be a factor in any arpg otherwise the "carrot and stick" motivation to continue playing is lost and most will quit at that point. Unless GGG (or anyone else) can statistically show that Cadiro Perandus has pushed PoE over the edge and most players have reached the end of gear progression with every item being T1 gear then I am pushing the case for GGG to keep him in as a permanent resident of Wraeclast.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info