3 Months league system

Two biggest reasons why I decided to run from D3 and play POE is the paragon system and 3-month season system.

Diablo 3 lacks enough content for players to grind the heck out of the game for longer than 2 months. However, this is far from true for PoE. I could probably play this game every day for 2-3 hours an evening, and still would not be able to reach the end-game by the end of 3rd months.

So why 3 month league system? I understand why Blizzard and Diablo 3 do it, but it's the cheapest way to make players beat the same content over and over again. I've talked to PoE players in game and the majority of players from the global chat tells me that standard league is not really active. I don't understand why PoE would copy the worst thing about D3 when it has so much more contents to offer.

According to this steam charts:
http://steamcharts.com/app/238960

The player retention ratio is currenly pretty low, and as a newbie, I feel like it's hugely because it's not friendly to casuals (i.e, people who can't play games longer than 3 hours a day because of family, work, life... etc).

This is off-topic, but the game could also benefit from more "explanations" in the game.

I enjoy the game a lot, but I wish I would spend less time searching google,youtube,reddit for information and more time actually playing the game (hide-out, mapping, master-crafting, etc etc.... these information should be readily available in game, and I shouldn't be searching google for it). These kind of minor things make the game look less polished and unprofessional. Maybe I am just picky.
Last bumped on Apr 29, 2016, 9:46:23 PM
Stop posting your shitty STEAM CHARTS most of these people don't even use steam. I use it sure but I can tell you most of these people do NOT like steam.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
I_NO's correct. She may seem like a dick a times, but whatever she says has valid reasoning behind it and is trustworthy. As for you not reaching endgame content, that's because you're a newbie. I see that you've been playing for a little over a month now, so you're still EXTREMELY new. A large portion of this community is old timers, with me being her for about 1.75 years, which still fews young at times lol. I've got around 2k hours as well, so I have plenty of experience, and I've gotten to where I've done everything I want in around 1-2 months max. I_NO on the other hand literally does everything there is to do in that time. Just play 1-2 more leagues and you'll learn that the 3-4 month leagues are actually perfect time intervals.

Also, standard isn't completely dead. the latest numbers I know of, which are pretty old, were something like 20% of players on standard. There's also the opinion among vetern temp-league players that standard is the dumpster league, so you need to keep that in mind.

Just play the game and have fun. You'll realize how good paced the 3 month leagues are once you experience a few more.
Sure, the lab can be hard, but it's pretty easy if you're properly geared, and not terrible at the game.
Obviously you lack understanding.

I posted the steam chart to show the retention rate and nothing else. Not everyone uses steam chart. However, you can think of it as a poll and the number of players using steam is large enough to reveal a pattern, and the pattern of interest being the retention rate.

If this is hard for you to understand, I refuse to argue further.
"
dooboosoda wrote:

I posted the steam chart to show the retention rate and nothing else. Not everyone uses steam chart. However, you can think of it as a poll and the number of players using steam is large enough to reveal a pattern, and the pattern of interest being the retention rate.

What understanding? People here don't use steam rather a small amount of them do, they use the stand alone client like wtf lol you can't just go HURRR LOOK IT THESE STEAM CHARTS when 3/4 of them don't even use steam in most cases. JEHEHEHEHEHE POLL STEAM PLAYERS

Don't argue with me then the fucking community will just shred you without me lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Apr 29, 2016, 6:53:32 PM
I have to agree with I_NO. Steam charts are not a good standard to use and besides Not many use Steam as a client. I sure don't.

Anyways. Player retention in any game is one of the hardest things Developers have to face. They try to come up with new ways to keep players retention. Some hold event short-term leagues ( calling them races if you prefer) to log on exp bonus weekends etc. You get the picture. *yawns" to tired to type more.
The steam chart shows a data involving 10,000s of players.

Any time you have more than 1,000 samples, the histogram converges very closely to the actual probability distribution. Thus, a stat involving 10,000s cannot be dismissed as a special case.

Here's what the chart shows. I'll dumb it down for you.

Based on the players who access PoE using steam engine, the chart shows that there is not a steady increase in the number of players playing this game.

Are steam-users just crazy bunch of people and they really don't reflect the opinion of gamers in general? Sure it's possible. I guess that is what you are asserting. Is it likely? Probably not. Unless I see a proof that steam users are just bunch of weirdos and all 20,000s of them can completely be dismissed, I am going to think that the trend I see in this chart has a very high correlation with the trend of all the players in PoE.

Thus, I have a reason to believe that PoE has a low retention rate.

Now, onto why it has a low retention rate, I think it's because the game is not very friendly to noobs and casuals. I could be right, I could be wrong. It's my opinion and I am not completely new at ARPG. I was top 5 in ladder in D2 multiple times, and I was top of the leaderboard in d3 as well for many characters.

Now if you tell me how my opinion won't matter, because the game is not for casuals, then I guess I have nothing to say. I simply posted a thread because I assumed general discussion is a place where people with different opinions come to have a discussion.

MAYBE, and just MAYBE 3 month is not the most optimum length for a league in order to maximize the retention rate and attract more players to the game. Being an engineer, optimization is how I approach problems like this. I don't think it's a completely stupid thing to ask whether 3 month is the optimum length for increasing the player-base (which is a good thing, right?). Maybe for some people, 3 month is the perfect length, because they can exhaust the entire content of this game in 3 months. I personally don't feel that way, and I understand that everyone is different. However, where's the norm?

If PoE game is many times more complicated than D3 (which I hope no one disagrees), then shouldn't the length of league be longer than the length of season (d3's league equivalent)?
"
dooboosoda wrote:
The steam chart shows a data involving 10,000s of players.

Any time you have more than 1,000 samples, the histogram converges very closely to the actual probability distribution. Thus, a stat involving 10,000s cannot be dismissed as a special case.

Here's what the chart shows. I'll dumb it down for you.

Based on the players who access PoE using steam engine, the chart shows that there is not a steady increase in the number of players playing this game.

Are steam-users just crazy bunch of people and they really don't reflect the opinion of gamers in general? Sure it's possible. I guess that is what you are asserting. Is it likely? Probably not. Unless I see a proof that steam users are just bunch of weirdos and all 20,000s of them can completely be dismissed, I am going to think that the trend I see in this chart has a very high correlation with the trend of all the players in PoE.

Thus, I have a reason to believe that PoE has a low retention rate.

Now, onto why it has a low retention rate, I think it's because the game is not very friendly to noobs and casuals. I could be right, I could be wrong. It's my opinion and I am not completely new at ARPG. I was top 5 in ladder in D2 multiple times, and I was top of the leaderboard in d3 as well for many characters.

Now if you tell me how my opinion won't matter, because the game is not for casuals, then I guess I have nothing to say. I simply posted a thread because I assumed general discussion is a place where people with different opinions come to have a discussion.

MAYBE, and just MAYBE 3 month is not the most optimum length for a league in order to maximize the retention rate and attract more players to the game. Being an engineer, optimization is how I approach problems like this. I don't think it's a completely stupid thing to ask whether 3 month is the optimum length for increasing the player-base (which is a good thing, right?). Maybe for some people, 3 month is the perfect length, because they can exhaust the entire content of this game in 3 months. I personally don't feel that way, and I understand that everyone is different. However, where's the norm?

If PoE game is many times more complicated than D3 (which I hope no one disagrees), then shouldn't the length of league be longer than the length of season (d3's league equivalent)?

Top 5 at making bullshit hahaha should be more like it right now.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
dooboosoda wrote:

You obviously don't understand how a poll works. Taking the numbers from Steam charts breaks rule #1 of a poll: Use a random sample.

Steam users do not represent a random sample, hence the stats cannot be taken as representative of the entire player base.

Keep in mind that many players played for 1 or 2 years before the game was even available on Steam.

Your comments also ignore the #1 reason why the devs have chosen 3 months to be the most common duration for a league. They actually know how player retention numbers vary over the length of a temp league. They used to always be 4 months but, as even the players could tell, they were dead for the last month.

3 months is currently the best option for a temp league. Also keep in mind that temp leagues are testing grounds for new gameplay ideas that may or may not become permanent additions to the game. For that reason you don't want a long term temp league.

If you don't want that, then play Standard or Hardcore. Standard is certainly not dead. It has a consistent base of players who never play the temp leagues.
"
dooboosoda wrote:

This is inherently flawed.

On principal I typically discount any studies/polls done with a small sample size of folk and is passed off as indicative of a trend or pattern as a whole.

For one, there is always a biased element to them, some trait that the "participants" of said polls or studies share. Sometimes its obvious, other times it is not.

This one is extremely obvious. Steam players in general are extreme game-hoppers. This isn't an insult...if I had more free time to explore the plethora of games regularly plastered on Steam's main page I might indulge as well...but I digress.

Just wagering a guess here, but I'd imagine most of us that have been around for some time now do not use steam as a means to access PoE, and therefore your charts are doubly flawed as a result.
Prylos // RoA Marauder 89+

My godly belt collection - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/334226
Mapping Discussion - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/361880/page/1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info