Is it a good idea to make a crit build without the power charge nodes on the tree?

I'm planning a Scion archer on the south side of the tree (something like this, work in progress). Since I'm nowhere near the power charge nodes, would it make sense to go for a crit build? Or should I just dump those points into generic damage/attack speed instead (or more defense)?

I'm going to use a Lioneye's Glare, and I also have a Voll's Protector which I could equip if going the crit route. They seem like a good combo (hits can't be evaded + free PCoC), but with at best 4 power charges at the base 10 sec duration, I don't know if it would actually be better than just straight up deeps. Especially since Voll's Protector isn't actually that good at protecting.

Thoughts?
Last bumped on May 1, 2016, 1:42:31 PM
The overall question is yes but for your case:

Lion's eye lare is not viable because you can not evade reflect attacks and evasion is a huge part of archer mitigation unless you run voltaxic.

Voll's is a crap item for archers - there are better options to use for chests, namely lightning coil.

IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:
The overall question is yes but for your case:

Lion's eye lare is not viable because you can not evade reflect attacks and evasion is a huge part of archer mitigation unless you run voltaxic.

I play softcore so I'm not too worried about reflect. Also this build is armor/block (Rearguard) rather than evasion.

"
Nephalim wrote:
Voll's is a crap item for archers - there are better options to use for chests, namely lightning coil.

The key difference being that I don't have a lightning coil. :)
Instead of Voll's, I would save up for a 6-L chest. The price of a white 6L on a crap base isn't too much higher than the price of a 5L Voll's, and that last last gem can add a lot of utility/survivability/damage, hell you could run PCoC as a 6th link if you really want the PC's. In exchange, you can get good life and resists from the chest with <10 chaos orbs spent on rolling it. I'd even run a Tabula over Voll's for just about any non-Discharge build.
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
I make crit builds that spec no power charges on the tree, quite a few of them, esp archers.

that said, not with a lioneyes bow and certainly not with a volls. On a budget like that, personally I would go for Chin Sol

its got a 6.5 base crit. With a crit strikes gem in the links it does the business and the 100% more damage at close range is absolutely brutal. For a chest, armour spec with low armour %, use the lioneyes chest

free pierce gem which gives a more damage multiplier, 5L it and its a 6L and its got a decent amount of life + armour. Every bit as ugly to chrom green as a volls so good luck with that bit, get used to the idea that added fire and/or wed is going in the setup. Tornado, ice, lightning, whatever pierce type skill you want to do would work with a general physical crit bow setup.

Both those items are 1 chaos each I think and common as muck.

if it were me id also add the ranger start like this

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAQBeAO4B5wguCIkNjRQgFE0VIBiRGY4b-iF2IuIj0yP2JJ0k_SXfKk0s6TB8MZ4x-jIJMn4ylDWSNug51DpSOrM64TxLPfw_J0ZpR-JKfUrITZJN404qUEdRR1b6WBdYY1ivW69daF8_YlpnoGxGbqpvJ287b_JybHb3eA15aHtue8N9dX8CfyuC5Iazhs6HB4cph3aKr4zPjX2PYJAKkBGVBZchmmqa8aCfoj6kGaQ5plem4Kluq7q18rYsvJ--vMAawQTBM8F8yqnTfti92cbdDeOf51Ttg-4O7w7vevJF9kj8S_zF_gr-j_66_94=

and Id want to run hatred + grace, perhaps via an alphas howl (probably 1c also), preferably with an enlighten and a rats nest on (not 1c items), because evasion is op as fk so why not have both and instantly take 50% less overall damage from enemy attacks and reflect.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I make crit builds that spec no power charges on the tree, quite a few of them, esp archers.

Do you still generate power charges?

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
that said, not with a lioneyes bow and certainly not with a volls. On a budget like that, personally I would go for Chin Sol

The thing about Lioneye's, though, is that it lets me ignore accuracy. Note that the tree I linked has a grand total of +10% accuracy, and only moderate DEX. Normally that would be laughable, especially for a crit build. If I switch weapons, I'd need to drop quite a few damage/attack speed nodes to make up for it.

Or I guess I could just go non-crit...

What about Death's Harp? Would that work here? Between it and Deadeye I'd have free LMP without the damage penalty. Could work wonders with Tornado Shot...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info