Can we talk about the map drop rate?

Guess you need to watch Gundam Seed Destiny...
"
Hyskoa wrote:
That's bad gamedesign, simply is.
The problem with this statement is that it is highly subjective, so you can't "simply" say it is bad game design. The existence of certain aspects of the game does not mean (and arguably, cannot) it has to cater to every single player. In your example, why would the existence of L100 mean that everyone has to hit L100 and then roll an alt? What makes hitting the level cap part of a "healthy RPG?"
You have a problem sustaining t1-t6 maps? You must be doing something wrong if that's the case.

I've been alc & go 'ing every single map since t1 and I ALWAYS get a return of investment in terms of alc and map drop...

Now I finally broke into the mid tiers and I have a steady supply of t8-t10 doing alc&go... I understand that it's much harder to sustain reds but I don't care too much about those anyway.

Unless I miss-read your post and you have a problem sustaining mid tiers? If that's the case, purchase some T8 maps and off you go.
Last edited by ClickHitBoom on Apr 29, 2016, 10:59:12 PM
You will see the light when you realize that your success in this game is solely based on knowledge and understanding. Now stop complaining about nothing and take the time to learn how to play the game :)

Alternatively, If you want to play a spoonfed snoozefest dungeon grinder Diablo 3 is thataway guy.
Prophecy @ WizKid - 94 BV Pathfinder
Prophecy @ SmackDown - 93 TS Assassin
Essence @ Wallbang - 93 Crit Lacerate Elementalist
Breach @ GodoftheBreach - 94 BF Inquisitor
Legacy @ BradPitt - 92 LL Ele Wander Inquisitor
"
ClickHitBoom wrote:
You have a problem sustaining t1-t6 maps? You must be doing something wrong if that's the case.

I've been alc & go 'ing every single map since t1 and I ALWAYS get a return of investment in terms of alc and map drop...

Have you considered that your experience is not universal (in a game driven by RNG, no less), and that other players might have worse luck than you?

I went through a streak of about 10 t5s earlier in the league without getting ANY returns. Alched them all, ran them in map device, cleared the maps as thoroughly as I could (even chiseled a couple of them out of frustration.) Still nothing. Would you mind explaining what I did wrong, then?

The thing about RNG is that even if a situation like this is astronomically unlikely, it's going to happen to somebody and it really sucks when it does. And yes I know it's possible to buy t5s dirt cheap, that doesn't make it satisfying to feel powerless over your access to content.

"
joebagz wrote:
...your success in this game is solely based on knowledge and understanding.

So there's never any situation in PoE where luck plays any role in one's success?

I wonder if we're playing the same game.
Last edited by QuarkCatcher on Apr 29, 2016, 11:27:17 PM
The map drops are fine , you are supposed to trade for whatever is not dropping for you and guess what you can find tons of maps on poe trade .
R.I.P 4.B.
"
QuarkCatcher wrote:
So there's never any situation in PoE where luck plays any role in one's success?

I wonder if we're playing the same game.

Everyone makes their own luck if they play long enough, what matters is if you do with that luck from what you've learned.
Prophecy @ WizKid - 94 BV Pathfinder
Prophecy @ SmackDown - 93 TS Assassin
Essence @ Wallbang - 93 Crit Lacerate Elementalist
Breach @ GodoftheBreach - 94 BF Inquisitor
Legacy @ BradPitt - 92 LL Ele Wander Inquisitor
My IGN name is Turnipheads

My acct name is turniphead2

Msg me in game and I'll give some free t 4 5 6 7 8 maps

Kudos

Turnip
"
consca wrote:
The problem with this statement is that it is highly subjective, so you can't "simply" say it is bad game design. The existence of certain aspects of the game does not mean (and arguably, cannot) it has to cater to every single player. In your example, why would the existence of L100 mean that everyone has to hit L100 and then roll an alt? What makes hitting the level cap part of a "healthy RPG?"

Because ARPG's are cyclical the same way MMORPG's are not. POE is using MMORPG mechanics(Korean style grinding, lousy loot drops, slowing tactics(labyrinth for example)) to make you play a single character for an obscene amount of time.

Problem is, for an MMORPG, it's very low quality. For an ARPG, it's roughly "good enough"(mostly due to lack of optimisation and other concerns which have already been spoken about).

If POE is going for an ARPG styled game(which it is) then you level a character to completion, use it to do some high level content to collect upper tier loot. If something awesome drops, you roll an alt.

Right now however, you wait until there's a new league for a skill reset or buy orbs of regret and simply reset the character you already have since regrinding a character just isn't worth it.
Not to mention you have limited character spaces.

So you're actively discouraged from rolling another character by the game itself, where the premise of an ARPG(not MMORPG) is to try out build after build after speculative build. So much so that people start inventing insane builds(wirtadin anyone?) just to keep trying out new and fun stuff.

Not so in this game, hence why it is bad gamedesign.

The way to fix this is as followed:
Disconnect acquiring XP from acquiring good loot.

In D2, you did a few thousand Blood/Bhaal/Cow runs and you were max level at which point the semi-gearless character was strong enough to solo the content which would grant you a small chance of upper tier items. This was possible since the game run fluid as hell. Battle mechanics felt responsive making it actually fun to play. In POE, unless you play a bow character with 60+ movement speed, it's going to feel sluggish. Like a tortoise crawling through a world of butter. It's why everybody is abusing whirling blades, since the game is too slow otherwise.

People don't constantly want to reroll maps just to get more experience. It actively slows the game down if you're playing with a group. They also don't want to go look for the last 100 enemies to squeeze every single bit out of a well-rolled map. These activities are boring, so boring.
You kill, you move, you kill again, you move, you get to a point where the enemies are too far apart for good xp/hour, you create a new instance of the same map.
THAT AND ONLY THAT is a good flow for an ARPG. Otherwise, you might as well start introducing Onyxia and tank/DPS/Healer classes, since it's obvious POE wants desperately to be an MMORPG.

Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
"
Hyskoa wrote:

If POE is going for an ARPG styled game(which it is) then you level a character to completion, use it to do some high level content to collect upper tier loot. If something awesome drops, you roll an alt.

Right now however, you wait until there's a new league for a skill reset or buy orbs of regret and simply reset the character you already have since regrinding a character just isn't worth it.
Not to mention you have limited character spaces.

So you're actively discouraged from rolling another character by the game itself, where the premise of an ARPG(not MMORPG) is to try out build after build after speculative build. So much so that people start inventing insane builds(wirtadin anyone?) just to keep trying out new and fun stuff.

We now have ascendencies, which gives the incentive of having multiple characters with different base classes. For that matter, even in the "old" system different base classes were better off running different builds, so it's not like respeccing everything was a viable way of playing a completely different style.

Edit: We also have the whole new league system, where every league you start a brand new character with no access to your previous items or characters. If that's "actively discouraged from rolling another character by the game itself" then...

"
Hyskoa wrote:

In D2, you did a few thousand Blood/Bhaal/Cow runs and you were max level at which point the semi-gearless character was strong enough to solo the content which would grant you a small chance of upper tier items. This was possible since the game run fluid as hell. Battle mechanics felt responsive making it actually fun to play. In POE, unless you play a bow character with 60+ movement speed, it's going to feel sluggish. Like a tortoise crawling through a world of butter. It's why everybody is abusing whirling blades, since the game is too slow otherwise.

People don't constantly want to reroll maps just to get more experience. It actively slows the game down if you're playing with a group. They also don't want to go look for the last 100 enemies to squeeze every single bit out of a well-rolled map. These activities are boring, so boring.
You kill, you move, you kill again, you move, you get to a point where the enemies are too far apart for good xp/hour, you create a new instance of the same map.
THAT AND ONLY THAT is a good flow for an ARPG. Otherwise, you might as well start introducing Onyxia and tank/DPS/Healer classes, since it's obvious POE wants desperately to be an MMORPG.

Every "class" has decent mobility skills available to them now. Casters have flame dash or lightning warp, melees have leap slam if they can't use whirling blades, or even shield charge. Bows have generally high movement speed, but they also have blink arrow. And everyone can use phase run(if you're desperate) or quicksilver flasks. Quicksilvers can pretty much have permanent uptime in maps unless you're backtracking.

If you're playing with a group you should already have a set of maps pre-rolled with good mods to run without stopping. There's at least 1 map which is linear or cyclic in each map tier if you really want to full clear everything. The majority of maps are relatively easy to full clear anyway, if you pay attention to how you move around the map.
Last edited by LightningStars on Apr 30, 2016, 7:28:48 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info