Why do we have to complete Labyrinth trials on each difficulty?

Why do we have to complete Labyrinth trials on each difficulty?

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Having several difficulties allows the players a more gradual increase of the content.
The same area in different difficulties will have, well, different difficulty in a form of stronger enemies.

Labyrinth trials however don't fit in this ideology - traps scale in damage with player's health, so it doesn't matter which difficulty you are on, they function exactly the same on all difficulties. So why do we have to repeat them 3 times exactly?

The main purpose of trials is to familiarise the player with the traps before he attempts the Lab. So he does normal trials, completes normal Lab, then goes for Cruel trials... wait, why does he need trials at this point? He is already familiar with the traps, they have same difficulty as normal ones, so... I don't get it, at all

One argument can be made that all difficulties must have the same amount of content and for story consistency - well, in that case once you complete a particular trial, it should count as unlocked for all difficulties then, since it doesn't matter which difficulty you attempt it on. So, for example, a player can complete some trials on normal, others on cruel, and this will grant him access to the Labs on all difficulties, and he won't need to repeat same trials multiple times for no reason.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Apr 28, 2016, 4:08:34 AM
Last bumped on Nov 27, 2017, 3:44:10 PM
It's something they are looking into I think, was brought up on the podcast with Ziggyd a little while ago.
"
Asmosis wrote:
It's something they are looking into I think, was brought up on the podcast with Ziggyd a little while ago.

Can you remember where exactly? Or at least which podcast number?
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
I believe they talked about it on the State of the Exile, the very last one with Chris.

I never really understood the hate on this though. While the trials aren't very enjoyable to do, they also take only a few minutes to complete and most of the them are right on the path that you take anyway.

It's almost no different then saying things like "Why do we have to go through another sewer area to get the 3rd bust three times". Or killing a crab... killing a hammerdin. We generally have to do alot of things 3 times.

This may tie into the whole 3 difficulties argument more then just trials.
"
e1337donkey wrote:
I believe they talked about it on the State of the Exile, the very last one with Chris.

I never really understood the hate on this though. While the trials aren't very enjoyable to do, they also take only a few minutes to complete and most of the them are right on the path that you take anyway.

It's almost no different then saying things like "Why do we have to go through another sewer area to get the 3rd bust three times". Or killing a crab... killing a hammerdin. We generally have to do alot of things 3 times.

This may tie into the whole 3 difficulties argument more then just trials.

They take almost or as much as the labyrinth itself(which is not less 5 minutes...).
"
e1337donkey wrote:

Most of time isn't spent doing the trials, but finding them. Sure, sometimes you run across them, but unless you're a l337 runner-type, you're likely to spend several extra minutes in a dungeon finding each one - and indeed you have to visit otherwise-ignored dungeons to find some of them.

Which is kind of fine initially, but given the complete lack of reward, gets old really, really fast. If you spend, say, 5 minutes finding and doing each, which I don't think is really unrealistically long (most only take a minute or two but longer to find), that's 30 mins/difficulty, which kind of adds up.

What galls me is, personally, is that Normal Lab has trap setups harder than the Merciless Trials. So if you've finished Normal Lab you have basically nothing to learn from even the hardest Trials. I'd suggest they add some kind of small reward to finishing them (like reward-reward, not "u can do labs now lol"), or make it so when you've finished them once, you can just go click on the door and have it open, or something.
Think of it as "you get to" rather than "you have to".
"
ivkoto77777 wrote:
They take almost or as much as the labyrinth itself(which is not less 5 minutes...).

Which difficulty, what level and how expensive build? I know I can't complete merciless labyrinth in 5 minutes on my level 85 self-found elemental equilibrium witch.

I'm with donkey here, all but one of the trial areas you come across while doing other quests. They're not that much work unless you intentionally leave them until later and do all six in one go.
Trials are tedious, and not very fun, and same goes for the Labyrinth. Trials need to be made once per character, and Labyrinths need to be made shorter in normal and cruel, Merciless should stay what it's current length is.

I'm sure people don't mind running the Merciless lab, because it's actually rewarding. Not very many people re-run normal and cruel because those enchants are fairly worthless, and from what I've noticed, the amount of character I've made over and over I've had plenty of glove and boots enchants, sometimes so many I have no items to put them on.

I hope GGG does look into making trials and labs less tedious, or make them more rewarding... Let's be honest, majority of the glove enchants are a joke, and the animations they went into making some of the enchant procs should of went to actual new skill gems.
@KogaNox
I can only hope GGG takes out the whole labyrinth thing.
I would like to think there isn't a single soul that ever said "Oh boy, Labyrinth time!". And if that is the case, then why have one.
You learn positioning there, maybe, but you learn it while doing the fun stuff too, so it's not really adding to the experience, unless it's there to bully the player.
"Do this mediocre content, you monkey!"
I don't really care about the lab, so I die alot there, because I run without looking, and then I ragequit when I die. That's just me tho.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info