GGG, you made corrupting maps pretty much useless

So corrupting maps used to be fun, a way to increase your map drops and a way to at least occasionally generate challenging content.
Spoiler
As an example, I corrupted a T13 Waterways yesterday to have about 145% IIQ / 2x% pack size. Usually my main defense is being much faster than the mobs, because I run 20% quality Temporal Chains as a Blasphemy aura with all curse effect nodes (along with Vulnerability and Enfeeble). However, this map featured curse immunity, along with hasted monsters (making them faster) and Temporal Chains (making me slower). It was a bit painful, but also great because there was actually risk involved (of course the reward was not there, no red maps dropped).

However, recently corrupting has become pretty useless. The possible outcomes are, according to the Wiki:

• 1) No effect (other than adding the corrupted property)
  • 2) Add one level, changing the base type to one appropriate for the new level, and randomizing the affixes. This is the only way to create a level 81 Vaal Temple Map
  • 3) Reroll the item into a rare item with up to eight random affixes
  • 4) Unidentify the item, retaining its affixes and quantity bonus. Unidentified magic or rare maps receive a 30% bonus quantity
  • 5) Re-roll the map with new mods

The last one is not actually in the Wiki, but I have seen it several times now. Not sure if it was added recently. Out of these, 3 is great because it usually adds lots of IIQ / pack size, 2 is good, although results often in a no-packsize map, 4 is good because it adds 30% IIQ. 1 is bad because the only effect on map drops is that it makes using Zana mods much more expensive.

5 is very bad because it usually destroys a well-rolled map - given that economically it only makes sense to use Vaal orbs on red maps anyways, because of the current prices in Perandus league and the fact that you probably don't want to use a Vaal on a map that is worth less than three Vaal, you probably only vaal well-rolled maps which can be destroyed in the process easily (re-rolling into a non-packsize map, has happened several times to me now).

So 2/5 results are bad and I am not even sure whether the results are not weighted towards those two results. Even ignoring the fact that vaaling can brick maps by assuming your character can run each and every mod combo, this is pretty bad. Vaal orbs are too rare and thus too expensive to do that kind of gambling.

My suggestion: Remove the possible outcome 5 to make vaaling maps more useful again. The Zana mods have been re-priced, which was a great move, but using a Vaal orb makes them expensive again. Vaaling maps is fun! Make it economical, too, please, or at least not uneconomical, given the risks you take by doing so.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last bumped on Apr 29, 2016, 2:13:37 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Gambling wouldn't be gambling if you didn't have a chance to lose.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
"
Gambling wouldn't be gambling if you didn't have a chance to lose.

True, but if a feature like this (that can produce amazing content) is destroyed by the fact that you lose on average, that sucks.
"
Char1983 wrote:
So ...

Vaal orbs work like this , I see nothing wrong here . And about the wiki , people upload stuff

there . It's not exactly " official " so if the info is not updated / missing there tough luck .
R.I.P 4.B.
Last edited by tryhardgg on Apr 27, 2016, 7:58:47 PM
"
Char1983 wrote:
lose on average

"
Char1983 wrote:
So 2/5 results are bad

I rest my case. RNG be RNG.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
How is 5 different from 3? Rerolling with up to 8 mods doesn't mean always 8 mods.
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.
It seems to be either 8 or 4-5 from what I have seen. Do you guys actually vaal maps?
Last edited by Char1983 on Apr 27, 2016, 8:28:20 PM
I don't find any problem with it, so there's no problem.

Get better at the game OP. Run the lab or something instead.
"
"
Char1983 wrote:
lose on average

"
Char1983 wrote:
So 2/5 results are bad

I rest my case. RNG be RNG.

You always lose the Vaal orb though, you got to factor that in.
Vaal orbing is great and important to keep up an almost pure red map pool (T11 maps are also nice and Gorge / Plateau is to good to pass up as well). I did this strategy this league with a somewhat slower but very safe build on my way to 100.

As for your 5 events.

1) It is a loss of a vaal orb but you make the map corrupted which gives a chance for fragment drops which you need for higher quantity. I use 3 fragments on all my T13+ maps. Still it is neither a good nor a bad roll (on most maps. Courtyard, excavation or double boss is a different story).
2) Great!! You gain a free +1 map. Also Vaal Temple is. I cleared 5 Vaal temples this league. You can make a great profit from this by asking for a fee for people to clear their "enter Vaal Temple Achievement". I usually just asked for "tip whatever you feel like" and ppl usually gave something like 5C on average. 5C per portal = 25c :)
3) GREAT! Again achievement possibility by selling portal slots and you usually get fantastic quantity / rarity rolls
4) GREAT! + completely free quantity.
5) Neither good nor bad. Sometimes it is a slight win. Sometimes a slight loss.

There is only thing that can go wrong which is when you roll a map-mod you cannot clear. Therefore create strong builds that can clear most maps. In my case double reflect or no leech is the only thing I couldn't clear.

Also sell them for a white map of the same tier. For instance I am currently selling
for a white T14 map (or similar currency).

All in all: Vaal orbs on maps are great. It is not even close to being useless. In fact it is mandatory if you want to run (almost) pure red maps.
Last edited by Frankenberry on Apr 27, 2016, 9:30:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info