Rework the Cloak

Hi there,

Dont you think a rework for Cloak of defiance would be welcome ?

It just needs to be an Arm/Eva chest base, and would be kinda interesting to toy with... again. In its state, it's now close to useless :(

BR,
Last bumped on Apr 29, 2016, 3:24:23 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I assume changing that to armor/ev because of duelist/ranger? They would benefit the most. Thou it would be still just a minor improvement since nova days its popular picking scion life wheel which is nearby MoM keystone.

I think it needs a broad rework/extension touching more than this armour chest to put this unique back into play, or less ambitiously- seriously buffing mana mod. Otherwise it still going to be "meh" item imo.
Why not just undo the nerf that was made by putting 10% of damage taken from mana before life back on?

It will make MOM a little more desirable in it's current state since EB no longer gives a mana boost.
40% cloak is actually worse than 30% cloak. ive spent a great deal of thought and time on MoM builds and 30% is spot on. in fact id prefer it to be 20% (so i can take Hierophant's node and reach 30%)

reason for that is the Rallying Cry threshold jewel that replenishes your mana from damage taken making MoM work with pool alone - regen being not important. and there is a limit on how many of these jewels you can put into your build before gimping the damage too much.

ability to split damage 50%+ life/mana is cool and powerful - until you go OOM and suddenly take twice the damage to life + not being able to cast anything
"
sidtherat wrote:
40% cloak is actually worse than 30% cloak. ive spent a great deal of thought and time on MoM builds and 30% is spot on. in fact id prefer it to be 20% (so i can take Hierophant's node and reach 30%)

reason for that is the Rallying Cry threshold jewel that replenishes your mana from damage taken making MoM work with pool alone - regen being not important. and there is a limit on how many of these jewels you can put into your build before gimping the damage too much.

ability to split damage 50%+ life/mana is cool and powerful - until you go OOM and suddenly take twice the damage to life + not being able to cast anything

It is cool, but regen is reliable depending on the class you use in the tree. For the characters i use, i have around 200 mana regen per second. So a critical hit will be devastating, but i will have enought mitigation to get out of dodge and use a skill. Cloak IMO does rely on regen for solid viability. Otherwise you run into not being able to cast or attack.

I never actually used rallying cry, but that jewel support for it would be interesting.

I do have a mjolner templar using MOM. I wanted to try adding Mindspiral to him using that ascendancy node that gives 10% mana before life. hmm.
Maybe what they should do, and this will allow flexibility. Is to remove MOM off the cloak. And put in a range of 20-40% damage taken from mana before life. This will allow better flexibility in building around the unique.

Also, we need that 3D art for the cloak >_> still will look like a sick garb.
I agree that CoD needs something added; as it stands, it's clearly pretty worthless.
Maybe if it actually gave a reasonable amount of defenses, or included a life roll, it would see more use. It barely gives evasion or ES, no life roll, a decent roll for mana regen if you found it on a ring, a good amount of mana, but it's pretty useless, and no resistances.

I might agree with just removing the MOM part of it and changing it to 10% damage taken from mana before life, and increasing the values of it's other modifiers so it was actually worth having. Honestly, even if every single stat on the cloak was doubled, I'm still not sure it would ever be worth running except by weird hipster Hierophants.
"
Kroughfire wrote:
I agree that CoD needs something added; as it stands, it's clearly pretty worthless.
Maybe if it actually gave a reasonable amount of defenses, or included a life roll, it would see more use. It barely gives evasion or ES, no life roll, a decent roll for mana regen if you found it on a ring, a good amount of mana, but it's pretty useless, and no resistances.

I might agree with just removing the MOM part of it and changing it to 10% damage taken from mana before life, and increasing the values of it's other modifiers so it was actually worth having. Honestly, even if every single stat on the cloak was doubled, I'm still not sure it would ever be worth running except by weird hipster Hierophants.

The only use i can find for it is strictly for Mana regen TBO. It's really only suitable for Templar or Witch tbo. Marauder can make use out of it but Templar is key player atm.

500 evasion is not to bad. But it could use more Energy shield. Personally i think it should be doubled in max mana and regen with 20% resist worst case scenario.

If you really want to make it interesting, have it so certain damage types trigger mana related buffs per hit sustained.

Per element modifier effect.
Physical damage:10% taken from mana before life.
Lightning damage:10% damage taken gained as ES
Fire damage:10% increased mana regen per 1000 points of fire damage sustained.
Cold damage:10% damage taken gained as mana.
cloak is not worthless. it is just not OP. its value did drop because MoM keystone changed places AND because game got way easier. all defensive investemnts are simply considered 'not worth it'

as for the MoM builds: mana regen (200 or 1000/s) means little when you get burst down by several quick hits. many people have tried and all failed. "damage taken as mana" is the only RELIABLE way of building MoM. no regen maps, reduced regen maps, quick bursts will overpower regen MoM sooner or later

and the key to it is not being greedy. you can get 40% + 10% +8%(aylardex amulet) but.. you need monstrous mana pool for that AND equivalent mana sustain for ALL situations. it is very difficult

and there are just so many places when you can put Spirited Response
Regen penalty and no regen maps are a serious problem for that armor...... I find that if you have a 2k mana pool thought it is doable. Blood magic clarity for me is my preferred method to rapidly regain mana. Otherwise you can drop a DPS support gem for mana leech.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info